01 Apr: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wakefield Trinity KO 6pm (TV)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catalans haven't invested all that money in the last couple of years to be ok . Consistently they've underperformed and fell away and the players are there . Coach ultimately takes the responsibility 

Just now, DavidM said:

Catalans haven't invested all that money in the last couple of years to be ok . Consistently they've underperformed and fell away and the players are there . Coach ultimately takes the responsibility 

Invested money? Isn't that what all SL clubs do? They're filled with rejects - Thornley, Walsh, Burgess etc. I don't think many people expected them to be at the top end of the table this season 

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Dragons will be ok, will still make top 8. It's amazing how many people want SL coaches sacked. Sometimes it is due to the players on the pitch you know 

I reckon Bernard Guasch still has as much influence on the players as Lawrence.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

I reckon Bernard Guasch still has as much influence on the players as Lawrence.

I agree and that interference is unhealthy which is why I think the criticism of Frayssinous is unfair. No club can do well with such instability. That interference has no doubt seen players leave and the ones coming in, bar a couple like Bird, are not of the same standard. I don't think anyone expected them to be anywhere else but around 8th

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I agree and that interference is unhealthy which is why I think the criticism of Frayssinous is unfair. No club can do well with such instability. That interference has no doubt seen players leave and the ones coming in, bar a couple like Bird, are not of the same standard. I don't think anyone expected them to be anywhere else but around 8th

Easy to criticise when a teams got stuffed, but I've already posted my thoughts regarding Cats before - and I was a pass holder for years.  They have very few players who can bust the line and have no strength in depth.  This year was always going to be challenging and it is.

If Carney and Taylor had been taken to one side, shaken up and managed from Day One, they would have two game changing players now.  Easy to get rid, more difficult to spend time working to get an asset to perform.  Guasch chose the former and at the same time told Pellissier to go and play tennis.

Depressing for Catalans after the first couple of victories. 

The wheels fell off towards the end of last season and there may have been some rot in the side, but can't believe how letting Escare go, to then flourish in a better team, was a good idea.

Seems like the emphasis on getting the right club culture has driven down standards. 

But hey, the season is young, Bird will be back and mediocrity beckons. Maybe a cup run as by default Cats are already in the last 16 and just three games from Wembley. A shirt sprint of form is always more achievable than a whole season of form.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Guasch chose the former and at the same time told Pellissier to go and play tennis.

In Leigh? More like darts and ferret-racing, surely.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Easy to criticise when a teams got stuffed, but I've already posted my thoughts regarding Cats before - and I was a pass holder for years.  They have very few players who can bust the line and have no strength in depth.  This year was always going to be challenging and it is.

If Carney and Taylor had been taken to one side, shaken up and managed from Day One, they would have two game changing players now.  Easy to get rid, more difficult to spend time working to get an asset to perform.  Guasch chose the former and at the same time told Pellissier to go and play tennis.

Where I disagree is on Carney and Taylor, particularly the former. Whilst I agree that management of players is key, sometimes people by nature are unmanageable and will let themselves down by their very nature. You cannot keep tags on them all the time. Carney has a long list of misdemeanours at many clubs. He is in my opinion a bad egg

Just now, DoubleD said:

Where I disagree is on Carney and Taylor, particularly the former. Whilst I agree that management of players is key, sometimes people by nature are unmanageable and will let themselves down by their very nature. You cannot keep tags on them all the time. Carney has a long list of misdemeanours at many clubs. He is in my opinion a bad egg

Guasch and Frayssinous would have known that before they signed him, but still did.  They also knew about Aiton and Taylor's pending drug cases but still signed them.  You can't tell me Carney is any worse than Sean Long.  Poor management all round imo.

Nonetheless, I still think Cats will come back.  Not this year, maybe in a couple.

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Dragons will be ok, will still make top 8. It's amazing how many people want SL coaches sacked. Sometimes it is due to the players on the pitch you know 

The number of class players that have been and gone under this coach must mean a coach problem more than a player problem 

Archived