Yed Memories

jroyales

Loads of memories. Some of which have already been mentioned. I remember one very very cold Tuesday night. It was bitter and we were playing featherstone at home at t'sheddings. We were stood nehind the sticks on the club end kop.Ray Ashton received the ball on the half way line, attacking the Herbert stand end. A fev player grabbed him , ashy side stepped and sped through. BUT the fev player had grabbed ashys jock strap. He kept running till it snapped. He ran on and scored.  There was a sharp intake of breath from the crowd as the elastic snapped. Heh heh happy days.

We were stood in the Herbert St stand when it was a covered stand.Penny rush corner.Johnny Blair sent a penalty kick towards the corner .Ball came up into the stand and slotted itself between the wooden steps and fell into the void underneath.If you attempted that a million times you would never repeat it.

I also remember in that same era Widnes beating us in a cup match with a fluke try at the penny rush end.Probably the biggest crowd of the 70s that day.

Bob Blackwood swapping places in a scrum to spark out an opposition forward.I can't remember the ins and outs but I think it was justified.

4 hours ago, Tony Mac said:

I know it's not a winning try or great game but, hopefully keeping to the spirit of the thread.....A match at Watersheddings when Buster the Bear rugby tackled a Warrington supporter who had got on to the pitch and knocked him clean off his feet.  Still wonder how he explained his clothes covered in mud when he arrived home.

That was quality. Supporter tackled Buster first and was taking his applause from the crowd when Braddy tackled him from behind going right through him - the lad must have gone home with whiplash. He got up and chased Buster all over the field. Still makes me laugh now!

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

I remember Paul topping warming up on the sidelines, the week after oldham was going to Paris and I asked Paul if he would bring me 200 fags back he just gave me a wry smile, two weeks later when he was warming up on the sidelines again and I asked him where my fags where he laughed said a few swear words and gave me a pat on the shoulder, good days sheddings 

Johnny Blair drop kick from near halfway at St Helens,late on, a miraculous 8-7 victory round about 1975 or so. A good noisy bunch of Oldham fans went crackers.

Blair was a mighty kicker.

That drop goal was the highest I've ever seen.

Another memorable game was away at Wakefield Trinity around the same time. Oldham down by 20-0 at half time but nicked it at the death.

Sensational.

3 hours ago, andykenny said:

W

I also remember in that same era Widnes beating us in a cup match with a fluke try at the penny rush end.Probably the biggest crowd of the 70s that day.

I remember that game. Challenge Cup quarter final and scores level with five minutes to play.

Huge crowd,but massively under declared as was the norm back then.

Derker was full of Widnes coaches,they brought thousands.

21 hours ago, jroyales said:

I remember being at Central Park in the massive stand behind the posts with a gang of Yeds and a pie eater kept mouthing off. One of the Yeds lost his cool and launched a boiling, hot gravy filled pie at the bloke hitting fully square on the back of his head.

With boiling gravy pouring down his neck I've never seen anybody jump as high and squeal as much. and we all turned round to see who threw it.

Pie eaters moan about everything 

Still a Roughyed despite what some people might say!!!

3 minutes ago, Curly Wurly said:

Pie eaters moan about everything 

I remember in the sheddings club Friday nights cannon and ball was always on  and then on Sundays before a game bernard manning and Charlie white would be on now and again with dancing girls, well thats what we called them 

Nobody mentioned yet Tom Nadiola taking on Shane Varley was it . . . .  all the rest joined in eventually ......Game Abandoned....

Also one match where Bradbury ran at full speed half length of the pitch to smack somebody one , think he did get sent off but cant remember the match

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Here's one.....Scott Ransons last minute try at Salfords old ground The Willows, Barrie Mc threw a long ball  (probably the only 1 he ever did) on half way to Scott who sprinted down the line and stepped Aussie test full back Gary Jack to go over and keep us in the top flight....Beauty!

Picture the scene 20 ton of sand covering the pitch, not a blade of grass to be seen. We score a try and someone comes running on with a small bucket of sand - didn't have kicking cones back then. I think it was against Blackpool!

The cry went up "Where did you get that from?"

6 hours ago, jroyales said:

Picture the scene 20 ton of sand covering the pitch, not a blade of grass to be seen. We score a try and someone comes running on with a small bucket of sand - didn't have kicking cones back then. I think it was against Blackpool!

The cry went up "Where did you get that from?"

Haha brilliant... 

The banter from the crowd adds to the match day experience. Sometimes it worth going just for that. I remember an A-team game on Friday night and you couldn't see past Your nose due to thick fog. Half way through the first with  roughyeds attacking the far end, the cry came from the watersheddings stand, "get em on side ref." Classic rugby league humour. 

Someone has already mentioned the game against Australia in 86 at Sheddings. That was a special night in my memories of our old home. The teams came out and lined up for the national anthems and the guys looked seriously hyped up, non more so than  the infamous Bruce "Bruiser" Clark an Aussie who went home with a t-shirt saying "I drank Oldham dry" who decided on this night he really wanted to play. During the anthems Bruiser launched a ball at the face of Aussie star Paul Langmack. This was the signal for game on let's give it the Aussies. The Roughyeds team gave them a serious physical battle, before going down  heroically to a late Aussie come back. One of the absolute best nights of rugby I have ever witnessed. 

The score and teams that night below, just look at the legends in these lineups - more so on the Aussie side but all our boys are heroes to the faithful.

Oldham 16 (Tries: Hawkyard, Foy. Goals: Worrall 3, Hobbs)
Australia 22 (Tries: Lamb 2, Elias, Alexander. Goals: O’Connor 3)

Oldham: Jeff Edwards; Paul Sherman, Des Foy, Gary Warnecke, Hussein M’Barki; David Topliss, Ray Ashton; Bruce Clark, Terry Flanagan, Neil Clawson, David Hobbs, Mike Worrall, Stuart Raper. Subs Colin Hawkyard &Tom Nadiole.

Australia: Gary Belcher; Dale Shearer, Chris Mortimer, Mal Meninga, Michael O’Connor; Terry Lamb, Greg Alexander; Phil Daley, Ben Elias, Martin Bella, Steve Folkes, Les Davidson, Paul Langmack. Sub: Paul Sironen.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

Harry Major and his opposite loose forward having a falling out during the first half - could have been Blackpool.

Harry would hit him, then a.n.other would hit him back this went on for all of the first half and just before half time a.n. other hits Harry. Obviously, aggrieved, when they returned for the second half Harry runs over to a.n.other and punches him then turns to the referee and said "I know " and walked off, so he couldn't be hit again. They were later seen, together, having a few beers in the pavilion after the match.

• 3 years later...

Rare as it might be the referee was having a bad day. I think it was Massey. Standing with the same group of blokes I had stood with for years behind the posts, one of us shouted at the ref "Don't bring your wife problems here!" Even Massey laughed.

Just watched the Oldham - Warrington semi-final. It's the first time I've wanted to see if Lord's try was fair. It's very close but even Alex Murphy suggested that it was ok and Ray French said that decision will be a talking point for years - he was correct.

Just for interest I counted the penalty count Holdsworth must have been going home on the Warrington coach it was 11 - 6 to Warrington, we had no chance.

Archived