Sheffield away.

Logic

From 1st to last whistle, Eagles pack ran strong and hard and we couldn't cope plus Owens (Eagles No 1) ran the show and looked a class above.

Very poor show and if Eagles hadn't given away so many penalties could have been much worse.

Our survival doesn't depend on yesterday but Bradford, Swinton, Rochdale and Toulouse!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 its not a broken record I have stated this many times our halve backs have been a disaster all season except when sam woods played stand off, I don't know if you remember the great wally lewis at stand off a much bigger player than Tyson a utter wrecking ball the assies name for him was the king and he was the best stand off ever. your arguments don't stand up thrashed again yesterday 5 wins out of 24 when will you accept our play is garbage we have to alter the halve back combination  against Bradford or we will get hammered yet again we have now run out of time.we have conceded a points average of 33 a game fact.

17 minutes ago, tandle said:

I don't know if you remember the great wally lewis at stand off a much bigger player than Tyson

Wally Lewis:     182cm (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)  95kg (14 st 13 lb; 209 lb)

George Tyson: 186cm (6ft 1in) 93kg (14st 9lb)

Wally was marginally heavier by a couple of pounds but George is a couple of inches taller.

I have to agree with 34, Tandle, George is a blockbusting player, the type you give the ball to and off he goes.  He is what he is and you get what you get with him.  Great player to have on your side but he's not a half-back.

Aside the differences between Wally Lewis and George Tyson I have all but resigned myself to the fact that we will be back in league 1 next season. Where we will be playing, I haven't a clue.I've tried my damndest to stay positive but it's run out.We're in a hole and if the team can get out of this one,I for one will be very surprised. Sorry if I sound a little defeatist but I can't see a way out,I don't think I'm the only one either.

As I have said before, our play is predictable and frankly boring, even if Wally Lewis played in this team in his pomp,playing to instructions as we seem to do from the coach,do you seriously think he would have any impact?? 

Maybe instead of blaming certain players, the coach needs to change the playing style. The players play to a game plan.....the buck stops with the coach who issues that game plan, if you play a simple rigidly structured plan then half backs can't create,simple as that. Cooper Cronk and JT would struggle in this side,not because they are bad players but because they would have no freedom to express themselves. 

The 5 drives and a kick game we have comes down to the coaching staff not the players!!

Anyway we go again in a vital clash with Bradford on Sunday, the coach will pick who he sees fit to occupy the half back roles. We can argue til the cows come home but it won't change a thing.

The lads will need the support on Sunday more than ever,let's get behind them and hope for a tick in the "W" column this coming Sunday!

wally lewis was a straight running tackle breaking player very rarely running wide out going down the middle and a past master of the short pass to supporting players.  Tyson as these qualities you say d n quite rightly that he is a player you give the ball to but with our style of play when does he ever get the ball with space to run. I say again play him at stand off and give him the ball with space to run we have nothing to lose and every thing to gain so if I am a idiot come on now and tell me your halve back combination because the ones we have had all season have not bl- -dy worked do you honestly think they will suddenly click with 6 games left.

Agree with R34, the players are playing to a strict game plan that comes from Naylor. Even when we have been in with a shout of winning we still play the same structures rather than playing what is in front of us.

We need to change the style as it hasn't worked well when we had a fully fit full strength side and now we may as well go down trying but There are winnable games remaining.

so what you are saying is we have lost 24 games because we have been  playing to the  coaches   instructions.   and what  your saying is the players don't have a mind of their own and have been brainwashed to play one way 5 drives and a kick so the new players who have come in that have not been brainwashed must be baffled to know whats going on. thank you for explaining it to me and other supporters we cant go wrong now can we.

3 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

As I have said before, our play is predictable and frankly boring, even if Wally Lewis played in this team in his pomp,playing to instructions as we seem to do from the coach,do you seriously think he would have any impact?? 

Maybe instead of blaming certain players, the coach needs to change the playing style. The players play to a game plan.....the buck stops with the coach who issues that game plan, if you play a simple rigidly structured plan then half backs can't create,simple as that. Cooper Cronk and JT would struggle in this side,not because they are bad players but because they would have no freedom to express themselves. 

The 5 drives and a kick game we have comes down to the coaching staff not the players!!

Anyway we go again in a vital clash with Bradford on Sunday, the coach will pick who he sees fit to occupy the half back roles. We can argue til the cows come home but it won't change a thing.

The lads will need the support on Sunday more than ever,let's get behind them and hope for a tick in the "W" column this coming Sunday!

The lads have had the support all season and no-one can question the fans commitment. 

However, we're in truth just not good enough which I hate myself for saying. I think your post highlights the real problem and it's not just poor team performances. Think hull KR and Toulouse to name a couple of recent good performances 

Despite being poor yesterday and for a while now, we are still only 1 point behind Swinton. We need only need one more win than Swinton and have to get lads out on the pitch who are willing to battle for the cause. Get Langers, Adam Neal, Tyson and maybe even Briscoe back and we might just escape. If not we need the same help as Bradford. As fans we need to stick with it to the end and get Tosh praying! 

This season is ending as last season.

We are simply not good enough to stay in this division. We desperately need some investment otherwise we will just be another team/town that played Rugby League. We have been saying it for years CH is stopping the team from ever achieving anything to be proud of. The time is  now to say thank you and goodbye and hope there are people out there who love this club as much as the subscribers of this forum.

4 minutes ago, jroyales said:

This season is ending as last season.

We are simply not good enough to stay in this division. We desperately need some investment otherwise we will just be another team/town that played Rugby League. We have been saying it for years CH is stopping the team from ever achieving anything to be proud of. The time is  now to say thank you and goodbye and hope there are people out there who love this club as much as the subscribers of this forum.

I sadly don't see anyone wanting to take the club on. CH does what he can with little money. Really hope we survive, not sure i could cope with London, Oxford, South Wales etc. 

Can't see how CH is to blame for the current predicament tbh. He gave Scott more money than before to sign Tyson,Hewitt,Chappell(?),Neal etc, I'm guessing the coach had a list of players he wanted before the season and although we missed out on a couple of targets,as far as we know he got what he wanted from the chairman.

Personally I believe the squad is capable of better results than we have had all season, I don't like to criticise coaches but maybe the writing was on the wall in that department when Spanner left.

Look for instance at Dewsbury, a dire side heading for the exit until Neil Kelly went in and turned it around. No major change in personnel but a different approach and style that has worked wonders for them. To me it points towards the fact we have only a plan A and clearly that doesn't work, looking at every game this season it seems like Scott can't/won't change how he wants his side to play. This isn't having a go at him but just stating facts from watching the matches.

Ultimately we have 6 games left to survive, no matter what happens I think the end of season report between us all could be a bit lively!

1 hour ago, Yed17 said:

Despite being poor yesterday and for a while now, we are still only 1 point behind Swinton. We need only need one more win than Swinton and have to get lads out on the pitch who are willing to battle for the cause. Get Langers, Adam Neal, Tyson and maybe even Briscoe back and we might just escape. If not we need the same help as Bradford. As fans we need to stick with it to the end and get Tosh praying! 

That one more win could actually be against Swinton. I.E. We lose all our games and Swinton lose all theirs, then it comes down to who wins the Swinton v Yeds in the penultimate match!!!! 

1 hour ago, Yed17 said:

I sadly don't see anyone wanting to take the club on. CH does what he can with little money. Really hope we survive, not sure i could cope with London, Oxford, South Wales etc. 

Look on the bright side. Buy a load of shirts, souvenirs,and the like when you're at away games. They'll be worth a bomb on eBay in twenty years time when they've all gone the way of Kent Invicta, Scarborough Pirates, Runcorn Highfield and so on, and so on, and so on... 

I can't understand Roughyed34's logic about his support for CH. Isn't he the one who drove away the other gang of three who resurrected ORLFC and isn't he the one who drove away Bill Quin and his millions?

Didn't several of this forum attempt to sit down with him to work with him to make our club better, isn't he the one that members of this forum contacted Red Hall in protest about his mismanagement, etc, etc , etc.

He is holding us back not Naylor and his team or tactic selection.

The buck stops at the desk of the Donald Trump or that look alike in North Korea of Rugby League!!!

So CH is to blame for the dire results? Does he play?Does he coach? The thread was about the team,coaches and selections not the Chairman. May I respectfully suggest if you want to have a go about the Chairman then start another thread and get the usuals behind your anti CH crusade,while the rest of us discuss the rugby and playing\coaching side of things. Cheers.

I think letting Palfry leave was a major mistake. If he was still a Yed then we would have turned a few of those 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' games into wins.

However I still think we can do this, just hope Bradford continue their own poor form on Sunday. it was a bit of a shame their relegation was confirmed last week, relegated teams seem to start getting results once the pressure has been removed.

Up the Yeds!

Actually some of the blame for this does lie with CH. When the club went into free fall about 10 weeks or so ago, there was sufficient time to do what Dewsbury had done and change the coach. Maybe he couldn't afford to sack or pay Naylor off.

After Spanner went and Alan Hunte came in, for those few matches we played under Hunte (during Naylor's suspension) the team played with a lot more freedom - coincidence? I don't know but it was better Rugby to watch and certainly more creative.

I doubt changing the coach will help now with only six games - it should have happened 8-10 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Whitworth Yed said:

I think letting Palfry leave was a major mistake. If he was still a Yed then we would have turned a few of those 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' games into wins.

However I still think we can do this, just hope Bradford continue their own poor form on Sunday. it was a bit of a shame their relegation was confirmed last week, relegated teams seem to start getting results once the pressure has been removed.

Up the Yeds!

Agreed,I miss palfrey not being at Oldham and all.He turned into a decent captain,I did have reservations at first but they turned out to be unfounded. As for Bradford it just goes to show how quickly you can go from hero to zero in sport.I just hope we can beat them somehow. We desperately need a pick me up.

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Actually some of the blame for this does lie with CH. When the club went into free fall about 10 weeks or so ago, there was sufficient time to do what Dewsbury had done and change the coach. Maybe he couldn't afford to sack or pay Naylor off.

After Spanner went and Alan Hunte came in, for those few matches we played under Hunte (during Naylor's suspension) the team played with a lot more freedom - coincidence? I don't know but it was better Rugby to watch and certainly more creative.

I doubt changing the coach will help now with only six games - it should have happened 8-10 weeks ago.

I also think we improved during Alan Huntes brief tenure.

I think its perfectly reasonable for people to look at the owner!

The team looks to be heading back into RL oblivion, the way the club is run is a shambles, nothing more nothing less.

Ii certainly wouldnt critisize anyone who pays their money week in week out but it really is a small band who follow the team home and away, lets face it, the club is only drawing crowds of  to 600 to 700 for home games which for a club steeped in Oldhams history is embarrassing and a direct reflection of the way the club is run,lets face it, its a glorified amateur club.

I dont think critisism can be pointed at naylor,the simple fact is the club is being run on a shoestring, i suspect if the team get relegated naylor will go , and then what? Playing in the dog and duck league again , this time away from town will mean attendances dropping again,the club DESPERATELY needs investment, with the current owner in place i doubt very much thats going to happen. :-(

Archived