Sam forrester

wonky

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Vievers didn't think they were good enough or ready so he brought in players on DR. That was his opinion which most of us disagreed with especially with Duerden. 

11 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

He was right but we’re in the league below now.

I'm not sure you have made a good or bad point there ? playing DR players because other players "not good enough" for Championship yet it still led to town ending up in League 1 ?

26 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

I'm not sure you have made a good or bad point there ? playing DR players because other players "not good enough" for Championship yet it still led to town ending up in League 1 ?

They’d have been relegated earlier if some of the players mentioned (Duerden & Lucock) had played all season.

Thats not to say they aren’t good enough for this level.

25 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

They’d have been relegated earlier if some of the players mentioned (Duerden & Lucock) had played all season.

Duerdon has featured in Barrow's successful promotion campaign and Cresta sees him as part of the set-up in the championship next season. Like too many promising young Town players he was cast aside in favour of a quick fix via the mediocre traveller route. Rather ironic that we are now extending the olive branch to Sam and Scott --- hopefully Leon will give Mewse and Rooke a chance to redeem their potential . He has the pedigree to nurture the best of our locals and I believe they will thrive under the coaching of such an RL legend. 

2 minutes ago, Town Army said:

Would love to see Lucock have another crack at it, seen him a few times at Wath Brow and always looks a level above, not sure what his plans are long term but wouldn't mind seeing him in a Town shirt again.

Yep, another gifted player who as you say has something of the x factor about him. 

10 hours ago, westizbest said:

Akehurst sam , the hooker at brow .. the backrow lad from barrow (duerdon) all paid the price for your beloved DR 

So which dual reg hooker did we get up that kept lucock out? I’m pretty certain he hardly played because we had matty and callum 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Welcome back Sam great news. It's true that we lost Akehirst, Lucock  and Deurdon through lack of game time but Vievers wasn't building for the future he was just trying to keep us in the championship by any means  at his disposal.  I've never been a fan of DR but we would have been relegated in our first championship season without it but so would most teams in the division because they all relied on it, some more than us. I also think that if we had stuck with the young local lads we might now be in a stronger place on and off the field and would be in a position to challenge for promotion. Hindsight is a marvellous thing isn't it.

Phil Veivers had to try and keep us in the league above by any means possible and so we used  DR when it was available .In the original idea Super League Teams were supposed to run reserve and academy Teams , when they too were frightened of relegation they bought players from overseas as a quick fix . This left no money to run reserve/academy Teams and so they looked at getting game time for their overspill players by introducing DR .The Championship Teams took this on board and suddenly there was no room for their young players in the Team due to the arrival of DR players ....Its a rolling ball , if Super League was run properly with Teams having to field Reserve and Academy Teams , then DR wouldn`t exist and the Teams in the leagues below would have to stand on their own 2 feet which would even things up a bit and be better for all concerned .

1 hour ago, unicorn106 said:

Welcome back Sam great news. It's true that we lost Akehirst, Lucock  and Deurdon through lack of game time but Vievers wasn't building for the future he was just trying to keep us in the championship by any means  at his disposal.  I've never been a fan of DR but we would have been relegated in our first championship season without it but so would most teams in the division because they all relied on it, some more than us. I also think that if we had stuck with the young local lads we might now be in a stronger place on and off the field and would be in a position to challenge for promotion. Hindsight is a marvellous thing isn't it.

DR was never loved by anyone , it was a means to an end , in trying to keep our head above water short term and help us compete with stronger outfits hitting us with similar set ups . Phil obviously was just looking to put as strong a match day squad out as possible week to week , and in two seasons there was a payback . He obviously didn’t think some guys were up to that then . Longer term repercussions and throwback are something else , but he was living in the present for right or wrong . If we’re coming full circle in some areas then obviously the emphasis has changed and those guys grounding first time at a higher level should stand them in better stead now . But still we may get outside quality , noones place is guaranteed and you’ve got to fight for your spot 

12 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

Well it's about club development and looking long term I guess 

50 minutes ago, westizbest said:

Well it's about club development and looking long term I guess 

Well we are going way off topic here. All i will say is yes we need  player  development but its a bit difficult when players sign very short term deals and there's a player merry go round every october. It would be ideal to have a team of developing cumbrians but how long would  it take to pay dividends. DR and travellers are part and parcel of keeping a product on the pitch to keep support up on the terraces. When more players start signing 5 yr deals in WC we can start thinking long term. Until that happens DR and travellers will alway be necessary options

2 minutes ago, GMcKeating said:

There’s only one player signed a 5 year deal that I can ever remember  and that’s shacks at Whitehaven. 

Yes that's the one i mean gary.  Haven can now work and build around him as opposed to players who sign one year deals. I am sure its all around cost but until players sign longer term deals then developing a local side is going to be difficult I.M.O . 

15 minutes ago, GMcKeating said:

5 year deals are a bit risky on one side. If a player gets injured in Year 1 and he is in rehab for a year or two the club has to pay contract. In extreme cases you could have a case of someone in rehab until retirement ( not saying it would happen but that’s the risk) 

Yes there's definitely risk with it. Maybe 3 years deals are more a achievable.  But if people want to see the likes of DR done away with and longer term development within cumbria then groups of players need kept together  for longer.  Just a personal opinion.

40 minutes ago, town4me said:

Think it was 4 years. We need to see more of it if we want continuity and development. 

most young talented players who have ambition to progress will ask for a release clause so if they impress in their first or second year and a championship team comes for them they would probably leave anyway , or if not then many wont sign more than a year and others only 2yr . edging their possible options .

Archived