What's the plan with Leeds' stadium next season?

Scubby

So after all the argie bargie about what is right for the club when we don' know the facts the wait is over.

Leeds announce they will play two games at Ellend Road. The reason they have not been lately is because United did not own the ground. Now it's back under their control and a growing relationship between the two clubs they are back.

A veritable feast for the crowd watchers coming up!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, M j M said:

The club's official argument also has some validity which is that older south standers won't have to move stands now if they want or need to sit. I imagine they will prove quite popular.

Unfortunately i can see that very thing coming down the road in the near future 

1 hour ago, John Rhino said:

So after all the argie bargie about what is right for the club when we don' know the facts the wait is over.

Leeds announce they will play two games at Ellend Road. The reason they have not been lately is because United did not own the ground. Now it's back under their control and a growing relationship between the two clubs they are back.

A veritable feast for the crowd watchers coming up!!!

Rubbish.

It was a pipe dream that they would half the SS up and running and a temporary stand plonked on a building site in time for Febuary.

Season tickets probably slow so the announce games to be held in a stadium not a building site.

8 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Rubbish.

It was a pipe dream that they would half the SS up and running and a temporary stand plonked on a building site in time for Febuary.

Season tickets probably slow so the announce games to be held in a stadium not a building site.

I agree. Half arsed dribbles of information does nothing for season ticket sales. They should have been clear on this 6 months ago, something like Elland Road until end of May and then back to Headingley when parts were complete and tested and the weather was better.

there seems to be a relationship building between Radz ,The Sleeve and LCC. interesting reading GH's statement and Radz recently speaking well of RL and Rhino's and of course in negotiations with LCC about a new training ground in the city . I think he's wanting a redeveloped Elland Road hosting RL events

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Headingley this afternoon.

They have reached Section F of the North Stand. My home in Section G is next to go :unsure:

Progress on the South Stand appears to have stalled - it's over a month since it was flattened and nothing much visible has happened.

59fe1002b75ca_IMG_9571497_TN.jpg.eeb0b0980e0dabd169fcb53ff539a476.jpg

59fe1011709a4_IMG_9577499_TN.jpg.dbad0d4590a7bba9d166e6f3fc5b632f.jpg59fe10108ffe1_IMG_9576498_TN.jpg.b5a6f38f3a4eb9cc3eda3107ed60b9dc.jpg

59fe100f9028c_IMG_9549496_TN.jpg.2d940934fe3f703885bb0e72e0942f0a.jpg

On 26/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, M j M said:

Given that the capacity of the north stand is coming down by around 2,000 the only way to keep the total number of seats up is to put these seats in the south and for some existing north standers to move over. Given how unsatisfactory and exposed the small new north stand looks I'm thinking about it myself.

I wonder why this is. Given that the north is the one side where a stand can be built free of any housing problems why not keep the capacity?

11 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

I wonder why this is. Given that the north is the one side where a stand can be built free of any housing problems why not keep the capacity?

Surely it is limited by the size of the cricket stand? 

50 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

Leeds have given over a huge amount of space for the 450-seater banqueting suite which effectively takes over the back half of the existing North Stand, together with the level of corporate boxes (156 seats) above. In the single-tiered solution they have gone with there isn't space for any more seats - they are squeezing as many in as possible (including about 100 uncovered ones in front of the pavilion).

Do Leeds really need another 450 seats of banqueting space in a stadium which already has 1,000+ of them in the Pavilion, Carnegie Stand and Long Bar? I know they can sell all this space for the larger Rhinos fixtures as corporate is often sold out for regular season games and obviously Leeds make a killing on it for five days of a test match. But at some point you end up compromising the end result, which is an overall stadium capacity which is a couple of thousand, at least, short of where it needs to be.

The other question is whether a different solution would have accommodated both a decent capacity and the banqueting suite - i.e. a two tier stand facing the RL pitch like they have gone with on the cricket side. This would have been more expensive and fiendishly difficult to engineer given the nature of the site. But when you're spending £40m, what is another £2m or £3m to end up with something which isn't an unsatisfactory compromise?

Incidentally in terms of why building hasn't started yet, it seems Caddick have been busy clearing the conditions precedent but at least one, relating to the provision of details for bicycle and disabled parking was still noted as outstanding on Wednesday -

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/files/587E9194473B13261C869A05E0E289C0/pdf/17_06862_COND--_HIGHWAYS_TEAM-2118468.pdf

On 27/10/2017 at 8:06 AM, terrywebbisgod said:

Has anyone mentioned why they aren't putting a roof over the western terrace while they are rebuilding the ground?:ph34r:

Leeds Council approved outline planning permission for the below at the Western end as part of the stadium masterplan. It's not much of a stand, and outline permission is a long way from final permission, but the masterplan has been conceptually adhered to since it was first OK'd back in 2000 (although that included a 13,000-capacity South Stand and a 25,000 capacity RL stadium so times have definitely changed somewhat).

59fe3f1715320_approvedRLweststandsections.thumb.JPG.92245a431780ec37586466ee327edbc0.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I can see there being plenty of problems for the Rhinos next season. There are no games at Headingley in Feb but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few more games in March got shifted to Elland Road/Odsal etc. Why we didn't just move out for a season, is beyond me!

Anyway, at least one RL club in Yorkshire is developing their stadium. Worrying times for the area if Cas and Wakey don't get stadiums - West Yorks could end up having only two professional teams! 

7 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

I can see there being plenty of problems for the Rhinos next season. There are no games at Headingley in Feb but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few more games in March got shifted to Elland Road/Odsal etc. Why we didn't just move out for a season, is beyond me!

Anyway, at least one RL club in Yorkshire is developing their stadium. Worrying times for the area if Cas and Wakey don't get stadiums - West Yorks could end up having only two professional teams! 

Just greed I think mate, there was obviously no thought that the fans may not want to stand in a half finished/building site or a temporary stand plopped on a building site. As I have said before they must have been taking something if they thought it would be anywhere near ready for Feb. I also agree that we may see more games at ER as I don't see much being ready for March.

"Greed" :lol:

As if Leeds, having committed £40m over a decade to stadium improvements which won't pay off in the lifetime of the current exec team are looking to skank their fans by playing at home and at least trying to break even during the transition season.

On November 17, 2017 at 7:17 PM, graveyard johnny said:

if its not broke don't try to fix it, oh yer rhinos will face real problems next season I agree, myler in the halves for starters.

I'm sure there is another thread for that kind of comment .This one is about the redevelopment of Headingley 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 04/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, M j M said:

Leeds Council approved outline planning permission for the below at the Western end as part of the stadium masterplan. It's not much of a stand, and outline permission is a long way from final permission, but the masterplan has been conceptually adhered to since it was first OK'd back in 2000 (although that included a 13,000-capacity South Stand and a 25,000 capacity RL stadium so times have definitely changed somewhat).

59fe3f1715320_approvedRLweststandsections.thumb.JPG.92245a431780ec37586466ee327edbc0.JPG

Any plans for the current redevelopment? Can't find them 

I think the stadium will continue to be tweaked up for years after the present development is completed and there will calls for the western terrace to be covered and the club will be conscous of this too .I too think there will be more games played away from Headingley this coming season

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 19/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, West Leeds Riviera said:

Any plans for the current redevelopment? Can't find them 

Lots of plans if you trawl through the LCC planning applications.

Here's a composite image of the new S Stand with the old one overlaid showing the huge increase in overall scale -

image.jpeg.1407794e4a313433042ac4854054a849.jpeg

Archived