Eddie Hearn ' Monitoring RL'

Just now, Dave T said:

Wood has managed to convince all sorts of people to do all sorts apparently.

What people really want is somebody who pushes through a vision of the game they agree with 100%.

Your last point is sad but true. Dave Smith at the NRL was probably the last person who tried to drag the game by the scruff of the neck and he was soon rounded up and shown the door. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie Hearn clearly is interested in a slice of the pie. If not, he wouldn't be talking down RL's current state as "on its knees". Also, if he's making the effort to reach out for a slice of that pie, it is obviously worth his while to do so. The Hearn family's track record in team sports, however, is hardly thrilling.

In the eyes of some, our game has been "doomed" for over a century, because whoever's in charge is never good enough in their eyes, so flailing around for the latest putative "messiah" is fairly predictable behaviour. Be careful what you wish for... like a Super League without Nigel Wood, but entirely beholden to the club chairmen's interests, for instance.

Newcastle United FC have been messiah-hunting for decades, with well-documented results.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd not be opposed to using Eddie heard/Matchroom for what the are...a promotions company..

By all means contract Matchroom to run the PR for magic weekend or England games...if that's a success have then do PR for super league....let's see what they can do with £100,some string,couple of bottle tops and a thimble...lol

But to suggest Eddie hearn as the RFL CEO is frankly ridiculous

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

37 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:
I'd not be opposed to using Eddie heard/Matchroom for what the are...a promotions company..

By all means contract Matchroom to run the PR for magic weekend or England games...if that's a success have then do PR for super league....let's see what they can do with £100,some string,couple of bottle tops and a thimble...lol

But to suggest Eddie hearn as the RFL CEO is frankly ridiculous

Yeah, suggesting Hearn should be CEO of the RFL is beyond stupid. But if there was some way of handing over the image/presentation side of the sport to Matchroom I would be 100% for that, literally anything is better than what we have right now.

4 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Yeah, suggesting Hearn should be CEO of the RFL is beyond stupid. But if there was some way of handing over the image/presentation side of the sport to Matchroom I would be 100% for that, literally anything is better than what we have right now.

Watching Warrington on tv last night looked ok as far as im concerned. The light and fire show looked impressive, and the game was covered professionally - what do you thibk the issue was?

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Watching Warrington on tv last night looked ok as far as im concerned. The light and fire show looked impressive, and the game was covered professionally - what do you thibk the issue was?

The awful presentation from Sky Sports. Dreadful, mind-numbing commentary, a lack of focus on the game from everyone involved, lack of any sort of promotion, match highlights confined to the Sky Sports website rather than any relevant media platform, lack of big play highlights of any kind on social media, stupid gimmicks like voting for the man of the match, the same tacky robot intro graphics that have been used since 2011, do I need to go on? The presentation is absolutely, unacceptably bad to the point where it virtually cripples the sport, the sad thing is that many fans and probably many within the game don't even realize or don't think it's important because they're so out of touch with the modern world.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

The awful presentation from Sky Sports. Dreadful, mind-numbing commentary, a lack of focus on the game from everyone involved, lack of any sort of promotion, match highlights confined to the Sky Sports website rather than any relevant media platform, lack of big play highlights of any kind on social media, stupid gimmicks like voting for the man of the match, the same tacky robot intro graphics that have been used since 2011, do I need to go on? The presentation is absolutely, unacceptably bad to the point where it virtually cripples the sport, the sad thing is that many fans and probably many within the game don't even realize or don't think it's important because they're so out of touch with the modern world.

I think you are being way ott.

What do you mean about match highlights.

I can watch highlights of last nights game on Sky Sports today. Or I vam go to the On Demand section and watch it there. Over the weekend it will be on the BBC and then SL fulltime and also Youtube.

They all seem relatively relevant media platforms to me.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Very interesting piece and Liew always writes from a sound knowledge base. The sexless marriage with Sky is a very good analogy. Sky couldn't even be arsed to create some new opening credits despite dishing the same up for pushing on a decade. 

A lot of that seems like a job for a new TV production company, or at least a new producer. Not a promoter, although a promoter may lobby for changes to be made. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Could not agree more, people seem not to care that we are stagnating and going backwards, even bet Fred could not come up with a different ad; I remember the days of Bull Mania and the dazzle dazzle that illuminated the game; we are just heading back to a load of people turning up to a game now.

we need a revamp across the board

The tv angels were awful , just a close up and a wide shot; the director could not even get that right!

i have been saying for years that we as a sport need to concentrate on every detail on how we present the sport, it costs nothing extra other than a bit of thought and a few conversations on how to get the product across better.

We need to see key replays, be fast and dynamic with our coverage; not just aimlessly dawdling through the match.; in any other main stream sport there would be a picture going viral of a player running off the pitch as his wife is giving birth; the reason we don’t have that is no one is interested other than us

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People are barking up the wrong tree if we think new credits and a new Betfred ad will make things better.

It’s one of several trees Dave , we have to make sure our coverage of our game looks professional and interesting not only to RL fans but a wider audience 

Just now, iangidds said:

It’s one of several trees Dave , we have to make sure our coverage of our game looks professional and interesting not only to RL fans but a wider audience 

It’s all in the attention to detail in our game that is severely lacking imo

Seriously, the darts started last night.

No, it really did.

Anyone notice?

Presumably, everyone was too busy following the German Open snooker (scores announced in English).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Seriously, the darts started last night.

No, it really did.

Anyone notice?

Presumably, everyone was too busy following the German Open snooker (scores announced in English).

If Phil the power Taylor ran off stage to see his wife give birth I guarantee that would be bbc headlines all day long?

Just now, iangidds said:

If Phil the power Taylor ran off stage to see his wife give birth I guarantee that would be bbc headlines all day long?

Sad to see that the household name isn't even playing any more. Sign of a sport in decline, that ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, iangidds said:

But still higher profile than our players though

How many people do you reckon could name five active darts players?

Archived