The World Series is a waste of time.

As a Hull supporter, I travelled down from the Gold Coast for both weekends. Both weekends were fantastic. The Hull fans were absolutely immense - the players looked shocked at the number of fans there and the noise they made. They really were wonderful occasions, although a lot of the crowd went home/lost interest after the Hull game at the double header.

i don’t think you’ll find many people who were there complaining about the concept - nothing but positives as far as I could see 

5 hours ago, DiH68 said:

i don’t think you’ll find many people who were there complaining about the concept - nothing but positives as far as I could see 

The only ones that are complaining about this are the idiots that probably think the RFL spent money on this and that money could have been spent on development officers or something... as usual!

Some people really need to think about how sports clubs need to spend money to make money... and THEN can invest it after.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

15 hours ago, Padge said:

Did you actually note the Wigan team was for a very large part of that game. The Wigan starting line-up had no motivation for this game since the soft @rsed Aussies decided they wanted the cash but not a contest, on the other hand Souths team had a lot of motivation, playing for places and to impress the new boss. Wigan also played the game with a very large number of reserve grade players, in fact since they had a similar motivation to the young Souths players the second half was extremely tight.

If Souths didn't want a competitive game they shouldn't have taken up the challenge. They screwed this up big style as a sporting spectacle. If they had put out a proper team the whole game would have been completely different.

Wigan organised the event, surely they should have made sure their opponents were of sufficient ability

I don’t buy they weren’t motivated enough, seems like poor excuses from Wigan to match their poor performance.

i blame the Aussies for plenty of things but Wigan have to accept some responsibility in all of this too

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Wigan organised the event, surely they should have made sure their opponents were of sufficient ability

I don’t buy they weren’t motivated enough, seems like poor excuses from Wigan to match their poor performance.

i blame the Aussies for plenty of things but Wigan have to accept some responsibility in all of this too

There is also the challenge that when these games were arranged centrally and played as WCS games (this is the first year in 4 that we didn't have them, for some reason, make your own mind up why that was) - we never had this issue. All of the games were taken seriously.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is also the challenge that when these games were arranged centrally and played as WCS games (this is the first year in 4 that we didn't have them, for some reason, make your own mind up why that was) - we never had this issue. All of the games were taken seriously.

As soon as you agree to more than 4 on the bench you know what you’re getting in to

9 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Er... Wigan lost.

Yep. Padge was trying to say that Wigan were not motivated due to opposition resting players and performed accordingly, if they were that concerned with this they should have invited a different club who’d take it more seriously, or have certain guarantees about playing strength, not just whinge about it afterwards 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yep. Padge was trying to say that Wigan were not motivated due to opposition resting players and performed accordingly, if they were that concerned with this they should have invited a different club who’d take it more seriously, or have certain guarantees about playing strength, not just whinge about it afterwards 

I actually predicted this before the game elsewhere.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This is frankly all over the place as a discussion... most seem to be defining what they want to discuss by whatever point they want to make. 

1) there have been a few WCS, and Wigan took part in them. I immensely enjoyed the 2 home games against the Broncos, and Wire's games, including their extraordinary victory last year. The crowds were big and added to the event. Anyone who watched that, and Wigan's draw, and concluded they were a waste of time is perhaps watching the wrong sport; 

2) I assume I don't need to defend the WCC, champion v champion, as an event. It is superb pretty much every time; and 

3) in so far as this is a dig at last week end's double header (or how Wigan went about it perhaps?), then perhaps a different title or thread might be the way to go. Indeed, we may already have one. I enjoyed Wigan's game, and heard that the FC one was good. I thought we had more than half an eye on this Friday's game for 20 minutes, followed by a reserves run out. Against that backdrop, the score was fine and dandy. We could have put on a show, but made it clear way in advance that we were taking a big squad so all 26 of them got a game. I would argue that it shows how well we are doing that our reserves held their own against Souths' reserves. Plus, the Aussies got to see and hear what British fans are like, and the crowd was vast compared with most of the NRL games that'll be played there, which will have been a thrill for the Aussie players. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Mr Frisky said:

Yep, let's just give up.

As OP and for those that know on here I'm forever the optimist but I think my point didn't come across the way I would have liked.

I feel any idea of opening markets, for financial reasons is superb and openminded and forward thinking but I believe if it is not an official Silverware winning comp then these should be preseason. A lot of Football teams are now doing this in Asia for example.

The WCC for me should be the most prestigious title of all. We put very little general effort into, have a no long term plan for it and therefore is going nowhere fast. Add two friendlies around it and I feel what should be our most prestigious trophy gets waterdown a bit more.

Does this make more sense! :vinsent:

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

The Magic weekend started in Cardiff, where the council gave the RFL/Superleague £500,000.

It skewed the fixture list but it was worth it ... from a promotional aspect (although the WRU were apathetic about doing so) and a financial aspect.

The last fortnight in Australia served the same purpose, but just for 3 clubs.

I enjoyed watching all four games. No complaints from me.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

23 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

As OP and for those that know on here I'm forever the optimist but I think my point didn't come across the way I would have liked.

I feel any idea of opening markets, for financial reasons is superb and openminded and forward thinking but I believe if it is not an official Silverware winning comp then these should be preseason. A lot of Football teams are now doing this in Asia for example.

The WCC for me should be the most prestigious title of all. We put very little general effort into, have a no long term plan for it and therefore is going nowhere fast. Add two friendlies around it and I feel what should be our most prestigious trophy gets waterdown a bit more.

Does this make more sense! :vinsent:

Why should it be the most prestigious trophy? 

I see it as a good bit of fun, a cherry on top and a chance to see a bit of international spice.

Its like the Super Cup in soccer. Great for the fans and players but it is not gonna define your season.

Domestic comps are the bread and butter.

On 19/02/2018 at 4:32 PM, Wolford6 said:

The Magic weekend started in Cardiff, where the council gave the RFL/Superleague £500,000.

It skewed the fixture list but it was worth it ... from a promotional aspect (although the WRU were apathetic about doing so) and a financial aspect.

The last fortnight in Australia served the same purpose, but just for 3 clubs.

I enjoyed watching all four games. No complaints from me.

Maybe that could be the future? Triple header at Cardiff to start the season?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived