Potential RL 6 Nations this Autumn

Rumors way back in November suggested a likely 6 nations type event later this year though fully fledged England team would not appear but a England Knights team similar to RU England Saxons. All aimed at strengthening northern hemisphere teams. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/22/rugby-league-six-nations-2018-ireland-england

http://www.totalrl.com/rugby-league-planning-inaugural-six-nations-tournament-2018/

But that's the point isn't it?

The reserve side playing the other nations I would suggest would potentially lose a few games - look at a full strength Ireland, that would be very interesting - and with a Lions tour on the horizon I would want to play to lay down a marker for the tour as its the only real way a non English player not in the elite set up could get in - club matches and form might not be enough - national team selection ten a good '6' nations against the players that will likely start in the tour and 2021 world cup is a no brainer

17 minutes ago, Kris said:

But that's the point isn't it?

The reserve side playing the other nations I would suggest would potentially lose a few games - look at a full strength Ireland, that would be very interesting - and with a Lions tour on the horizon I would want to play to lay down a marker for the tour as its the only real way a non English player not in the elite set up could get in - club matches and form might not be enough - national team selection ten a good '6' nations against the players that will likely start in the tour and 2021 world cup is a no brainer

If the Knights are in it I would anticipate Ireland will not be full strength. The end of season operation lists will be out in force.

That article is from November last year..

But they are still discussing whether the knights will be involved,issues about costs is the hold up apparently...though having the knights involved will likely bring in a media partner freesport/premier sport or the BBC...which in turn should increase sponsorship revenue...

So there's a choice to make..no knights and no one sees the European Cup...or knights and the comp gets televised...basically..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If the Knights are in it I would anticipate Ireland will not be full strength. The end of season operation lists will be out in force.

That's Ireland's fault then..

I'd fancy that world cup Ireland team to give the knights a real challenge...and if they beat the knights then they absolutely have the right to say they should be playing the full England side...but as of this Oct/Nov the full side is busy,they can't play everyone!

It's typical of RL that we spend more time whinging and less time doing! Ireland v the knights would be the easiest pre match team talk ever..."go out and smash em cos they think we aren't good enough"..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

4 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

But they are still discussing whether the knights will be involved,issues about costs is the hold up apparently...though having the knights involved will likely bring in a media partner freesport/premier sport or the BBC...which in turn should increase sponsorship revenue...

So there's a choice to make..no knights and no one sees the European Cup...or knights and the comp gets televised...basically..

Yeah, I was initially dead against the Knights because of it devaluing the other nations in the competition but it's actually the other nations who want the Knights in because it'll bring commercial revenue

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah, I was initially dead against the Knights because of it devaluing the other nations in the competition but it's actually the other nations who want the Knights in because it'll bring commercial revenue

They do? I've not heard any other nations say they want the England reserve team in their comp.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Not heard anything the other way either.

I would expect the other nations to want the Knights in on the format if for nothing  else the commercial aspects - people will come to see/sponsor a comp that has faces in it they know, simple as.

The key to this is the announcement of a GB team that will actually play and if that is done I fully expect the matches to turn into a GB trial with the likes of France acting as a spoiler -

as Rougheyspud said "go out and smash 'em cos they think we aren't good enough"

The stars of the future need that intensity regardless of what competition they are playing in and its matches like this that identify those players that can cope with the intensity of match this may well through up who can go on and play a real part in the GB team, otherwise its lets pick England and give them a new shirt time.

There are several positions in the England team up for grabs in a GB team set up and a new coach at the helm would re-enforce that - a true tour takes in tests and regional games so a squad of 35 isn't unfeasible - so why isn't this being promoted as our Origin for the GB squad?

While the England boys will always have the driving seat in some positions I don't think full back, halves, or if Lockers isn't there 13, have obvious names on any of the shirts bar Widdop and possibly Gale or Williams. there are halves coming through that don't get the reps and some don't even play regular footy week in week out but will in years to come and they aren't on the England team sheets yet. the welsh junior set up is very good, it beat England, the French are not far behind and the Ireland team always plays well above itself and in key positions is very very good.

The only team that runs the risk of no players in the TGB team is Scotland at the moment unless you pick heritage players from the antipodes

This needs to work, every year, and its shocking no one sees this as viable, which in itself says enough

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I can't see the BBC being interested so it would probably end up on PS which means no one sees it in the ground and no one sees it at home either.

rldfsignature.jpg

They should replace the Knights with Lebanon (and sort out their off field dramas while they are at it). Lebanon went better then any other European team in the world cup bar England. They probably have the strongest side if they can field a similar team to the world cup squad. They are part of the RLEF, they need games and the RL is expanding well in that country, a 6 nations would be a big boost if they won and they would be a good chance to win it. 

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Not heard anything the other way either.

The Irish came out and said they didn't want to play the reserves, they wanted the first team. They were quite specific about the troubles they have in recruiting players for games against the reserve team.

I'll try and find the article. It's something many have said for years. It devalues the credibility of the competition, stopping fans and players being interested. Only the Knights players have an interest as they can use it to step up to England prope. The rest can't win the comp so lose interest (or nation hop).

EDIT - The article is actually the first one linked in the OP! They say SL clubs are reluctant to release players for games against England B.

5 hours ago, Kris said:

There are several positions in the England team up for grabs in a GB team set up and a new coach at the helm would re-enforce that - a true tour takes in tests and regional games so a squad of 35 isn't unfeasible - so why isn't this being promoted as our Origin for the GB squad?

Oh I don't know, maybe because three of the six nations are not part of GB?

It's bad enough to devalue the competition with England reserves without officially turning it into "The GB Trial + 3 Special Guests".

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

You can keep banging on about this but it wont make it true. Ireland RL players are eligible for Lions and have been for a long time.

When have I ever said otherwise?

My issue has never been about whether Irish players should be eligible or not but why the name and branding of the team does not reflect that properly.

You're also ignoring the other two nations. Or are you and the other Geography whizzes at Red Hall claiming France and Italy as British now too?

I'm with roughyedspud on this one, playing the competition would be better than doing nothing.  To be honest we could do with more time to publicise it but then this is Rugby League.  Playing England Knights in the competition may not be ideal and some of the crowds may be low, but lets go for it.  I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 games that get a bit of interest.  If it's a problem getting a broadcast deal we could use it to try streaming via Facebook or trying out some other channel.

Perhaps we could try and build on it over the years to make it a competition that covers the Northern Hemisphere with Lebanon, Canada & the USA.  It may even be the sort of tournament that it would make sense for the US to put on as a test before the World Cup.

54 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I'm with roughyedspud on this one, playing the competition would be better than doing nothing.  To be honest we could do with more time to publicise it but then this is Rugby League.  Playing England Knights in the competition may not be ideal and some of the crowds may be low, but lets go for it.  I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 games that get a bit of interest.  If it's a problem getting a broadcast deal we could use it to try streaming via Facebook or trying out some other channel.

Perhaps we could try and build on it over the years to make it a competition that covers the Northern Hemisphere with Lebanon, Canada & the USA.  It may even be the sort of tournament that it would make sense for the US to put on as a test before the World Cup.

Why?

Why not just run the competition without them?

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The flag (of Ireland RL) is on the crest the name is on the badge, the island is in the name.

As I said before. I would be fine with France and Italy joining the lions. In fact I'd encourage it.

And yet presumably you would not expect the French and Italian players to wear a Union flag jersey, line up behind a Union flag and sing GSTQ as the Irish players are expected to do. Or should they also be content as independent nations to be represented by a small symbol on a crest of an otherwise British jersey?

16 hours ago, B rad said:

They should replace the Knights with Lebanon (and sort out their off field dramas while they are at it). Lebanon went better then any other European team in the world cup bar England. They probably have the strongest side if they can field a similar team to the world cup squad. They are part of the RLEF, they need games and the RL is expanding well in that country, a 6 nations would be a big boost if they won and they would be a good chance to win it. 

Lebanon now techically don't count as European team. Serbia is a better alternative.

If you are seriously saying that the red, white and blue jersey with a Lion crest isn't based on the colours and symbols of the UK then you are either thick or are being completely disingenuous in order to win an argument. I know from your other posts that you're far from thick so I have no interest in discussing this further.

12 hours ago, Sick39ed said:

Lebanon now techically don't count as European team. Serbia is a better alternative.

Not if you want a competitive team. I'm all for Serbia developing but they are a few years off playing at that standard yet. 

21 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

We don't have a union Jack jersey or li e up behind any flag. I don't think we should have any anthem. 

You are applying today's ideas to something that a) hasn't existed it all for over a decade and b ) very rarely was a problem in practice in the past when it was used and c) forget completely that there is no underlying issue with the RFLs branding on this issue. The RFL are just ###### at it generally

The lions ceased to exist over a decade ago and we have no branding or merchandising or anything for it being brought back. You are creating an issue quite literally from nothing. 

What else is he to base his ideas on? They're talking about bringing back a concept.

Your concept isn't bringing one back. It's a completely different one. Sort of a Euro Lions, if you will. That's a different discussion within itself.

The Lions branding is clearly based in that of the UK - colours, emblem, national anthem, flag on the pitch. That's what it was. When they talk about bringing it back, they are the things that would be coming (unless discussed). So I wouldn't say he's bringing up an issue from nothing at all. Quite the opposite. I'd quite say literally he's bringing up a direct issue.

The problem with Italy and Lebanon is that while the are in the European federation, their players are based in Australia. They're in a kind of limbo where administratively they are European teams but it is logistically very difficult for them to play in Europe.

Otherwise both of them would be logical choices for a six nations, although for some reason one of them would probably lose out to Scotland despite being far stronger RL nations.

Archived