Barrow Game

andyram

Another basket ball scoreline.We are now by a country mile the worst team in our league not forgetting we got thrashed by whitehaven in div.1.We have played the wrong sort of rugby all season.

Both coaches should go,because the new coach has got a lot of recruiting to do for div.1.

Awful. The score line and our run speaks for itself. Yes I wasn’t at the game but I pay my money for my season ticket and buy merchandise every season so because I haven’t been able to get to work doesn’t make me or anyone else less than a supporter; sorry but been told today I should support my team and go — WORK. 

We go again.

I haven't been at today's game (thankfully) but I get the feeling we are seeing the demoralising effects of bringing in loan players and using them ahead of guys who have worked their cods off in pre-season and generally done OK when picked -- only to be discarded in favour of a Wakefield or Bradford 'guest'............. And now, as if we haven't given enough stupid penalties away this season, we bring back a guy, who couldn't get his backside away from the Rams quick enough last year when Fev came a calling, to add further probabilities of poor discipline and needless penalties...........  I know we've had disruptions with the recall of the Huddersfield players but we've had long enough now to come to terms with that, surely ?  

I'm a huge believer in Kelly & Delaney, but something is wrong and it's these guys who pick the team, bring in the loan / guest players and who have NOT sorted out the discipline and stupid penalties -- so where on Earth do we go from here ??   The players are pretty much the bunch that provided some excellent displays in 2017 so why are we going to a newly promoted side and conceding 58 points ????   

I don't believe that we are the worst team in this division -- but we are playing like it at the moment.................

Unfortunately I didn't get to the game today, the commentary on the radio made us sound shocking. We couldn't have been that bad could we? After the start to the season we had, this loss is possibly the worst result of the season. There is something seriously wrong at our club. Where does all the money go? Are we paying certain players way more than their worth then leaving ourselves short? Has the Neil lost the dressing room, as it seems to be the same comments everyweek now, no areas of our game seem to be improving... Relegation is staring at us in the face but there's no reaction from anyone at the club. About time we had a leader to show us the way and us all to stick together. 

I was at today's game and the performance was baffling.

First off it was nothing to do with loan/new players - only Crowther out of that group played, and he is on a season-long loan so is an integral part of the squad.

We started off brightly, despite conceding a soft early try we came back and scored two of our own and at 12-6 it looked like it was going to be a close, interesting contest. They got back in with a quite soft try and then the floodgates opened at the end of the first half where we conceded three quickfire tries from nothing - 28-12 down from an earlier promising position.

We hoped for a livelier start to the second half and certainly got it, but only from Barrow. We conceded a string of truly embarrassing tries from such woeful defending that not one single player could hold their head up afterwards. Four tries conceded in 8 minutes is completely inexcusable and the defence was shambolic at best, I cannot remember worse in my time watching Dewsbury, and we were definitely a broken team at this stage, 52-12 down. Five minutes later we decide to play rugby and score two tries of our own in four minutes. Points were then exchanged by two slack defences and we end up scoring 30 points yet getting hammered. Very, very poor.

If anybody says that there are some positives to take from this performance then I am watching the wrong game. We have a team containing quality RL players individually yet they coalesce into a shambles. I have no idea what specifically is wrong but we are definitely looking C1 in the eye if this carries on

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

First off it was nothing to do with loan/new players - only Crowther out of that group played, and he is on a season-long loan so is an integral part of the squad.

We started off brightly, despite conceding a soft early try we came back and scored two of our own and at 12-6 it looked like it was going to be a close, interesting contest. They got back in with a quite soft try and then the floodgates opened at the end of the first half where we conceded three quickfire tries from nothing - 28-12 down from an earlier promising position.

We hoped for a livelier start to the second half and certainly got it, but only from Barrow. We conceded a string of truly embarrassing tries from such woeful defending that not one single player could hold their head up afterwards. Four tries conceded in 8 minutes is completely inexcusable and the defence was shambolic at best, I cannot remember worse in my time watching Dewsbury, and we were definitely a broken team at this stage, 52-12 down. Five minutes later we decide to play rugby and score two tries of our own in four minutes. Points were then exchanged by two slack defences and we end up scoring 30 points yet getting hammered. Very, very poor.

If anybody says that there are some positives to take from this performance then I am watching the wrong game. We have a team containing quality RL players individually yet they coalesce into a shambles. I have no idea what specifically is wrong but we are definitely looking C1 in the eye if this carries on

Did we at any point throw the ball around and look dangerous? Have noticed over the last few games, any type of expansive rugby seems to have disappeared. Stats may prove me wrong but our centres and wingers must be pulling their hair out with our attacking play. 

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

I haven't been at today's game (thankfully) but I get the feeling we are seeing the demoralising effects of bringing in loan players and using them ahead of guys who have worked their cods off in pre-season and generally done OK when picked -- only to be discarded in favour of a Wakefield or Bradford 'guest'............. 

Absolutely spot on and well said. I believe this did for Morrison too. 

18 minutes ago, IRugbyS said:

Did we at any point throw the ball around and look dangerous? Have noticed over the last few games, any type of expansive rugby seems to have disappeared. Stats may prove me wrong but our centres and wingers must be pulling their hair out with our attacking play. 

When we had the ball we played OK, combining solid drives with more expansive moves in the right places. As usual we simply didn't have the ball long enough or often enough to benefit - dropping the ball straight from a tap, missing a kick to touch from a penalty, losing the ball in ordinary tackles, giving away penalties: these all contributed to poor possession statistics.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, IRugbyS said:

Tends to happen when things aren’t going well.   We’ve seen it before.  ......a few times?

1 minute ago, NickD said:

Absolutely spot on and well said. I believe this did for Morrison too. 

Read my post above Nick - they were all "our" players today. It made not a ha'porth of difference.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

When we had the ball we played OK, combining solid drives with more expansive moves in the right places. As usual we simply didn't have the ball long enough or often enough to benefit - dropping the ball straight from a tap, missing a kick to touch from a penalty, losing the ball in ordinary tackles, giving away penalties: these all contributed to poor possession statistics.

In other words basic rugby  let us down we are probably in possession for about 30 minutes per game

17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Read my post above Nick - they were all "our" players today. It made not a ha'porth of difference.

I did read your post but I was talking about why the rot started. Messing about with DR and loanees started way too early and way too often. 

20 minutes ago, IRugbyS said:

We did try on the odd occasion but the move usually petered out. Having written that, Guzdek did get a hat trick of tries, but his defence does now let him down. Our kicking was poor again with, on one occasion, Glover not making touch with a penalty kick. Tackles were missed, we simply have to stop this arm grabbing, or shirt front pulling for a tackle, high ball not caught, this time by Morton and try scored from it.

We were 12-6 up at one point, looking good for more points and then 52-12 behind so quickly. Then with about twenty minutes left, although it was something like twenty to five st this time, we decided to wake up and finished with 32 points. I found that remarkable, so perhaps we did see something positive.

Currently, we are maintaining a lead in the penalty count, 10-7 today in my estimation. Can that be considered as a plus? 

The referee was John McMullen. I think he is one of our better referees and I was happy with his officiating today; not something normally mentioned. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

12 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

In all honesty BSJ we have been poor all season. We struggled to beat a poor Sheffield team in round one, beat a poor Swinton team and had a cracking first half against a Rochdale team who were playing their first game. We held London to 12 points but in reality they had an off day. Most of our games have been played on home soil and I think we only have 4 home games left. Since the first 4 games we've shipped on average 40 points a game. We have no leader on the field, a back line who may be entertaining when given chance but certainly don't like defending, and I mean all 7 of them. No strength and grit in the pack, as much as they try hard, not good enough or big enough at this level. I think Knowles and Spicer will be thinking there playing a different game to what they've always been used to. These guys give 80 minutes of blood and guts and never say die. I have always admired NK and PD, 2 guys cut from the same cloth as the 2 previous players I mentioned. This is where I disagree BSJ regarding the quality of personnel. NK and PD are working with a bunch of decent players who are just not at the standard required for this division. The squad needs fresh blood to compete at this level. We've been told on many occasion there are no players available so I guess we'll just have to put up with it. But decisions need to be made at the top regarding the immediate future and  quick. We drop down a division and there is a danger we will get used to it.

3 hours ago, Therein73 said:

I haven't been at today's game (thankfully) but I get the feeling we are seeing the demoralising effects of bringing in loan players and using them ahead of guys who have worked their cods off in pre-season and generally done OK when picked -- only to be discarded in favour of a Wakefield or Bradford 'guest'............. And now, as if we haven't given enough stupid penalties away this season, we bring back a guy, who couldn't get his backside away from the Rams quick enough last year when Fev came a calling, to add further probabilities of poor discipline and needless penalties...........  I know we've had disruptions with the recall of the Huddersfield players but we've had long enough now to come to terms with that, surely ?  

I'm a huge believer in Kelly & Delaney, but something is wrong and it's these guys who pick the team, bring in the loan / guest players and who have NOT sorted out the discipline and stupid penalties -- so where on Earth do we go from here ??   The players are pretty much the bunch that provided some excellent displays in 2017 so why are we going to a newly promoted side and conceding 58 points ????   

I don't believe that we are the worst team in this division -- but we are playing like it at the moment.................

Why are we going to a newly promoted side and conceding 58 points ????   

dont know how to take that comment - little ol Barra just promoted!!. Well after 15 minutes it appeared to be anyone’s game but 2 superb try’s (nothing to do with Rams defending) put daylight between the teams. Yes terrible defending at the start of the second half by the Rams quickly saw Barrow build an unassailable lead and was part of the reason why a newly promoted side put 58 on you. In my opinion it could have been closer to 70 if injuries had not disrupted The Raiders with us down to 14 fit players with 25 to go. Yes dewsbury scored some well worked try’s in the last quarter which I feel gave the score line some credibility but in truth ........................

I thought it was a good effort from your lads.  Barrow had a purple patch and racked up a winning margin. Even when the game was clearly lost your guys were rushing to form the scrum and that enthusiasm cut down the points margin.

I know Barrow see this season as a platform, the object being not to get relegated.

Neither Barrow nor the Rams will go down. Is that good enough for you Dewsbury fans? With the strengths of Toronto, Toulouse, Leigh AND Fev and London the table was always going to be distorted. Do you believe that you can be up with those clubs ( plus relegated Superleague Clubs) or is a mid table place a good enough ambition in the short to medium term for you?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

9 hours ago, Mr Chuckle from Holbeck said:

Why are we going to a newly promoted side and conceding 58 points ????   

dont know how to take that comment - little ol Barra just promoted!!. Well after 15 minutes it appeared to be anyone’s game but 2 superb try’s (nothing to do with Rams defending) put daylight between the teams. Yes terrible defending at the start of the second half by the Rams quickly saw Barrow build an unassailable lead and was part of the reason why a newly promoted side put 58 on you. In my opinion it could have been closer to 70 if injuries had not disrupted The Raiders with us down to 14 fit players with 25 to go. Yes dewsbury scored some well worked try’s in the last quarter which I feel gave the score line some credibility but in truth ........................

Please excuse us for seemingly wishing to discuss only Dewsbury on this forum. However, a clue might lie in the title - it is the forum for Dewsbury Rams and all things associated with it. I haven't read any comments that seem to in any way demean or diminish the Barrow club. Rather the comments are questioning how a club that has just been promoted, with commensurately less income from the RFL distribution formula, can assemble a team who put 58 points past one with a greater budget. Nothing more, nothing less.

11 hours ago, YOUNG UN said:

In all honesty BSJ we have been poor all season. We struggled to beat a poor Sheffield team in round one, beat a poor Swinton team and had a cracking first half against a Rochdale team who were playing their first game. We held London to 12 points but in reality they had an off day. Most of our games have been played on home soil and I think we only have 4 home games left. Since the first 4 games we've shipped on average 40 points a game. We have no leader on the field, a back line who may be entertaining when given chance but certainly don't like defending, and I mean all 7 of them. No strength and grit in the pack, as much as they try hard, not good enough or big enough at this level. I think Knowles and Spicer will be thinking there playing a different game to what they've always been used to. These guys give 80 minutes of blood and guts and never say die. I have always admired NK and PD, 2 guys cut from the same cloth as the 2 previous players I mentioned. This is where I disagree BSJ regarding the quality of personnel. NK and PD are working with a bunch of decent players who are just not at the standard required for this division. The squad needs fresh blood to compete at this level. We've been told on many occasion there are no players available so I guess we'll just have to put up with it. But decisions need to be made at the top regarding the immediate future and  quick. We drop down a division and there is a danger we will get used to it.

Sadly I think you are probably right YU. Like many fans I tend to look upon our own players as being better than they really are but, being fiercely critical, would probably only want to retain a small number of them if we went back to the last close season. The question always begs itself then, who would you sign instead? The answer has to be some of the players who have been successfully recruited by other clubs with about the same financial clout. The actual identification and selection of these players is one of the things that the coaching staff are paid for; they did choose this squad after all.

There are suggestions that we spend less than other clubs. However we don't spend less than the last two who have just beaten us nor the two who still remain below us in the league. It is not just the amount of money spent but how that money has been spent and the effort put into getting the best out of what you have got. We do have SOME good players and each of them, individually, is playing well below their ability and potential. This is something that I do find very worrying indeed.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Please excuse us for seemingly wishing to discuss only Dewsbury on this forum. However, a clue might lie in the title - it is the forum for Dewsbury Rams and all things associated with it. I haven't read any comments that seem to in any way demean or diminish the Barrow club. Rather the comments are questioning how a club that has just been promoted, with commensurately less income from the RFL distribution formula, can assemble a team who put 58 points past one with a greater budget. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd suggest that they have much less competition form neighbouring clubs to secure the signatures of the better players in the area as being a rather obvious reason.......

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd suggest that they have much less competition form neighbouring clubs to secure the signatures of the better players in the area as being a rather obvious reason.......

Yes, sorry LTS. I had forgotten that Barrow field entirely Cumbria based players.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, sorry LTS. I had forgotten that Barrow field entirely Cumbria based players.

Very similar to Workington. Moi Moi is a long established name of Cumbrian origin along with Tansey.

Archived