Jam eaters takeover

Rango

Old un, respect to you and good on you still supporting your team. I am sure over time you have seen a lot of change in rugby league. Unfortunately a lot of that change has not been good for the game (in my opinion). Gone are the half backs that we as a country could produce, gone are the ball playing loose forwards, replaced by a third prop or middle as they are known now. Gone is the Great Britain team and tours. Gone are County Championships. Disappearing is the Challenge Cup. Yes the game is probably faster now and played in better stadia but generally there are more clubs worse off than ever. We all want better stadium but what point is there building a new one for it to be only a quarter full, if that, like the Keepmoat at Doncaster? 

Change can be for the good but for the right reasons. So far I have seen no right reason to believe doing away with one team in West Cumbria will see good. There is no promise of any financial windfall, no promises of a team any higher than League One. No extra funding, no reason to believe that those who won't pay to "watch that" now will "watch that" if there is only one team. 

If having only one team in an area is the key to success why have Oldham, Swinton and Rochdale not formed one? What have Batley and Dewsbury not formed one? Why not Doncaster and Sheffield? There were no cries for Hull and Hull KR to merge when KR were outside SL. People wear rose tinted glasses when talking about Cumbrian rugby league. Unfortunately if we got a team into SL we would be at the same level as Salford and you would soon see how many would support a losing team. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there still talking over league structures and there’s a blank page on a few issues , from 2021 or before . Money and ticking  boxes seem a factor  . What if ... yes , what if , a backer like Koukash or someone would put money in but only to a new team . And that clout got us in a new second tier ? 

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think there still talking over league structures and there’s a blank page on a few issues , from 2021 or before . Money and ticking  boxes seem a factor  . What if ... yes , what if , a backer like Koukash or someone would put money in but only to a new team . And that clout got us in a new second tier ? 

I appreciate what you are saying but I still don’t believe the second tier will bring enough through the gates. The problem Koukash and his like are that they get bored after a while and look for another plaything. Look at the state he left Salford in for that. I’m afraid we don’t have enough interest in the area to sustain a team whichever league they are in. If I was your BoD I would be very disappointed with your gates after the time, money and effort they have put in to raise interest in the town and build a competitive squad with high profile coach. 550 last Sunday against a fellow top 5 contender was not good. Before anyone says it I am not saying we are doing any better.

2 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

I appreciate what you are saying but I still don’t believe the second tier will bring enough through the gates. The problem Koukash and his like are that they get bored after a while and look for another plaything. Look at the state he left Salford in for that. I’m afraid we don’t have enough interest in the area to sustain a team whichever league they are in. If I was your BoD I would be very disappointed with your gates after the time, money and effort they have put in to raise interest in the town and build a competitive squad with high profile coach. 550 last Sunday against a fellow top 5 contender was not good. Before anyone says it I am not saying we are doing any better.

Fair enough it’s all interesting debate

1 hour ago, notasdaftasilook said:

The key thing is though that Town have matches outgoings to incomings and have sensibly budgetted for gates. I’ve heard that the business plan is based on gates of 450 /500 . 

Not saying they haven’t just saying with what they’ve done 550 must be disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, notasdaftasilook said:

Not sure which match that was Marrafan but I bet not as disappointing as the Bradford gate given the #rlfamily call to arms #jamaid 

The 10 quid ticket was financial suicide and only put a couple of hundred on the haven part of the gate 

The 550 gate was the Doncaster game. I was not having a go about attendances at Town or their budget. It was part of a bigger debate about one combined team but some people always want to fetch it back to Haven. Anyhow enjoyed the craic with David, Old un, Old standoff and anyone else I’ve missed. Looks like it’s ended now.

Haven deal is officially dead, consortium have just released a statement confirming they are no longer interested. Partly blaming it on some people in the club being "paranoid" about certain things.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

18 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Haven deal is officially dead, consortium have just released a statement confirming they are no longer interested. Partly blaming it on some people in the club being "paranoid" about certain things.

That’s a very strange choice of words ... but if they really put that fear above going through with this chance and surviving then that’s really weird 

2 minutes ago, notasdaftasilook said:

Offering people their money back now. Until Thursday 

@TheGameCaller: #Whitehaven cannot stress the seriousness of their financial situation after Stuart Harvey announces he won't be investing in the Cumbria club.

"We have to be honest and state that should a considerable number request their money back we may not finish the season."

Offering the money back with a bit of a veiled threat though. 

45 minutes ago, dkw said:

@TheGameCaller: #Whitehaven cannot stress the seriousness of their financial situation after Stuart Harvey announces he won't be investing in the Cumbria club.

"We have to be honest and state that should a considerable number request their money back we may not finish the season."

Don’t think it’s a veiled threat. They’re going to make you out to be a right c*** if you ask for your cash back!

46 minutes ago, dkw said:

Emotional blackmail at it's finest.Will they /can they stoop any lower.?

8 minutes ago, bomberisgod said:

Emotional blackmail at it's finest.Will they /can they stoop any lower.?

It surely is mate but if the shoe was on the other foot would we be asking for our money back if it meant the club folding before the end of the season ? I can't see many wanting their money back if that's the case. I can see them taking the easy way out and reforming next season.

Archived