A NEW CLUB

jroyales

With the advent of sooperdooperleague taking complete control of RL, in the next couple of years, with their two divisions - we must be one of them.

The time. I feel, is now for us to join with another club, or clubs to continue to see professional rugby here or hereabouts.

We knocked back joining with Salford and at the time it was the right thing to do. I am advocating the idea of joining with Swinton and Rochdale

with games played at BP with a name suited to the three teams - anything but Manchester. The Pheonix Hawks springs to mind.

Think it through before slamming the idea. The three teams are struggling with low attendances none of which are the younger generation, the future lifeblood of our great game.

Rather not bother watching RL. If MY club ORLFC dies im done with the sport full stop. Id also rather the club died than have anything to do with Hornets or Swinton. Your not talking about joining with those clubs, you are talking about the death of three traditional clubs and a new franchise being formed that plays in Oldham, you cant seriously think the two clubs you mention would want to fold to form a "new club" playing in Oldham therefore a "merged" club with a rubbish name based in Oldham! If it walks like a duck........

We have a club in Oldham, its up to the legions of missing fans to turn up to support the existing OLDHAM club ,if they did we would be much better off financially and in numbers through the gate than the two other sides. The problem isnt with SL or anything else, its all the 1000s of so called Oldham supporters who find every excuse not to support the club they claim to love. This shizzle is getting boring now.

We have a club, if it dies its not because of CH or the loyal fans who still attend, its because of those that claim to love the club ,yet take great pleasure in staying away and criticising everything ,i really hope those so called Oldham fans who dont go will be proud of themselves when "the club they love" dies because of them!

New club? Its not for me...im out.

Ps. Not a dig at you Mr Royales in any of the above.

I do see where jroyales is coming from and probably for the good of the game as a whole he is right but for us down here I can't see anyway that we would be jumping in the car at 9am on a Sunday morning for a 140 mile drive to watch anything other than Oldham. 

The game needs a huge investment from somewhere and a new far sighted leadership. It needs marketing, media support and terrestrial coverage. Where does this come from? God only knows. It's about as likely as me winning Euromillions. Whatever happened to the interest from Matchroom?

Like R34 we'll still keep coming as long as it is Oldham.

I can't argue with any of the said sentiments. I was as vehement as anyone with the proposed merger with Salford but the we had support, we had a ground, we had a younger lifeblood of younger supporters we don't have any of that now.

I will hate to wake up one Sunday morning realising that the club I have supported for near on 60 years is no more.

I suppose they can't take away some fantastic memories.

17 hours ago, jroyales said:

With the advent of sooperdooperleague taking complete control of RL, in the next couple of years, with their two divisions - we must be one of them.

The time. I feel, is now for us to join with another club, or clubs to continue to see professional rugby here or hereabouts.

We knocked back joining with Salford and at the time it was the right thing to do. I am advocating the idea of joining with Swinton and Rochdale

with games played at BP with a name suited to the three teams - anything but Manchester. The Pheonix Hawks springs to mind.

Think it through before slamming the idea. The three teams are struggling with low attendances none of which are the younger generation, the future lifeblood of our great game.

I think you have been sat in the sun to long

On 7/11/2018 at 4:37 PM, jroyales said:

Why on earth would any merged team, that DID manage to gain supporters from Rochdale and Swinton, want to watch games in Oldham? If it were EVER to work, a stadium would need to be somewhere equidistant to each of the parties involved

It just wouldn't happen in my view. Very few of the fan's from the three club's mentioned previously would back such a move in my view. And why should they?. They have supported their hometown clubs,why should they show allegiance for a club that wouldn't represent them. Me personally being an oldhamer it'd be saddleworth rangers. I just couldn't see any merger working.

Leaving the ground part out of it for a second, why would any Oldham (or Nets or Swinton) fan go and watch this new team that they have no connection with, over say Wigan, Leeds or St Helens?  If you have no connection (emotional, investment of time, etc) to a team, and you wanted to go an watch a game, you'd probably go to a SL club?

Now if the club was based in Oldham and you wanted to watch a game, then you might go.  But that would mean no one from Rochdale or Swinton would go,  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

21 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Leaving the ground part out of it for a second, why would any Oldham (or Nets or Swinton) fan go and watch this new team that they have no connection with, over say Wigan, Leeds or St Helens?  If you have no connection (emotional, investment of time, etc) to a team, and you wanted to go an watch a game, you'd probably go to a SL club?

Now if the club was based in Oldham and you wanted to watch a game, then you might go.  But that would mean no one from Rochdale or Swinton would go,  

If it wasn't called on Oldham I don't I'd bother as I wouldn't recognize it as my team representing my town, even if a merged club was established in Oldham.

I can understand the reasoning behind MKs comments- certainly all 3 clubs have a tiny fan base, but for me its a non starter.

And i suspect its a no-no for the vast majority of the 3 clubs too.

Oldham has too much history for this to happen,it would be as far as im concerned, the death knell for RL in this town.

So thanks but no thanks from me.

I think people think a merged club would have 3 times the resources of the singles, and I just don't think it would work like that.  

Let the Manchester club become the Manchester club, and leave us in our own pit of despair, thank you.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, OLD YED said:

I can understand the reasoning behind MKs comments- certainly all 3 clubs have a tiny fan base, but for me its a non starter.

And i suspect its a no-no for the vast majority of the 3 clubs too.

Oldham has too much history for this to happen,it would be as far as im concerned, the death knell for RL in this town.

So thanks but no thanks from me.

In Oldhams case, we don't have a tiny fan base, we actually have quite a large fan base. Problem we have is convincing them (and we have plenty of examples on these on the forum) is to put their anger, hatred, dislike (use whatever term you want here!) of the way the club is run and get back to watching the club.

I have plenty of reasons to consider how badly the club is run, but keep going to matches. IF the club was to become successful again, there would then become more reason for an outside party to want to take up the mantle and run the club. Eroding any long terms debts the club has by getting more support would make the club more viable to interested parties. So unless people feel that by starving the club of any cash and killing it, in the hope of setting up a new entity, then supporting it us the best way to bring change.

On the original topic, a merger will never work. Oldham fans support Oldham, we are very parochial. Heck, Waterhead fans generally only watch Waterhead, Saddleworth and St Annes the same. What chance of following "East Manchester Whatevers" - NONE!

I enjoy watching the matches on TV, but I never think, "Oh I will go to Warrington tonight, seems a good game". Same would apply to the merged club!

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

In Oldhams case, we don't have a tiny fan base, we actually have quite a large fan base. Problem we have is convincing them (and we have plenty of examples on these on the forum) is to put their anger, hatred, dislike (use whatever term you want here!) of the way the club is run and get back to watching the club.

I have plenty of reasons to consider how badly the club is run, but keep going to matches. IF the club was to become successful again, there would then become more reason for an outside party to want to take up the mantle and run the club. Eroding any long terms debts the club has by getting more support would make the club more viable to interested parties. So unless people feel that by starving the club of any cash and killing it, in the hope of setting up a new entity, then supporting it us the best way to bring change.

On the original topic, a merger will never work. Oldham fans support Oldham, we are very parochial. Heck, Waterhead fans generally only watch Waterhead, Saddleworth and St Annes the same. What chance of following "East Manchester Whatevers" - NONE!

I enjoy watching the matches on TV, but I never think, "Oh I will go to Warrington tonight, seems a good game". Same would apply to the merged club!

I worry the  fan base is related to yesteryear, and people have moved on and away from Oldham RLFC.

The ONLY hope is someone with wads of cash comes in, ive gone on record as saying if i were to win the lottery i would certainly pump money in.

As it stands the fan base IS tiny, i don't know how else i could describe the 3-400 crowds?

Archived