Late Season Signings

We seems to have a number of clubs making late signings.

Salford have signed 3 players, Hastings Lussick and now Turgut. I can't decide whether it is a good idea or not. Hastings and Lussick are replacing long term injuries so aren't replacing anyone.

I hope they bed in quickly and it soes distrupt the team

Mmm I seem to recall Wakey getting slated for this a few years ago, being accused of holding back funds for the qualifiers. When in fact they had cleared out under-performing players to make way for the new signings.

Jamie Peacock in particular was very vocal. Double standards?

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

How have Salford managed to sign Turgut? The “transfer window” closed last week, why’s this gone through now?

It's some dirt we have on Red Hall shenanigans which we threaten to Give Dave Parker if we don't sign who we want when we want and how we like.

One of our new fund raising ideas is to sell the dirt to other clubs but so far it's worked so well we don't want to risk some other clubs cynical attitude messing it up.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Suaia Matagi just arrived at Giants from Eels.

Was due 2019 but has come over early for Super 8's.

Fortunately won't be involved in any relegation scrapping and will give the Giants a boost going into Super 8s.

Michael Lawrence may be out for a while with ankle ligament damage so a timely arrival.

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

How have Salford managed to sign Turgut? The “transfer window” closed last week, why’s this gone through now?

All signings were registered with RFL inside the window but there were that many it has taken ages for the paperwork to be sorted and stamped , clubs could not announce signings till this was done.

Just now, Morris Wanchuk said:

Ok I'm interested, what did Wakefield do differently?

Wakefield effectively announced that they weren't very good and would just focus on the middle 8s. They haven't done that again.

There may come a time in a season where you know you are in a relegation battle and need to take action to avoid it, whether that is sacking your coach or making signings, but Webster is the only person to ever publicly wave the white flag, and I was glad to see him ousted.

Widnes are just not a very good team, but they have tried and I'm sure they would love to have avoided the 8s.

Nobody else has ever taken Webster's approach and it is no surprise he didn't last.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Wakefield effectively announced that they weren't very good and would just focus on the middle 8s. They haven't done that again.

There may come a time in a season where you know you are in a relegation battle and need to take action to avoid it, whether that is sacking your coach or making signings, but Webster is the only person to ever publicly wave the white flag, and I was glad to see him ousted.

Widnes are just not a very good team, but they have tried and I'm sure they would love to have avoided the 8s.

Nobody else has ever taken Webster's approach and it is no surprise he didn't last.

Daft and utterly meaningless sentence that. I’m sure West Wales would love to be top of Super League, I’m sure Parra would love to be a side that qualifies for the play-offs more than once every ten years, I’m sure London Broncos would love to win the Middle 8’s. 

It’s like one of the rent-a-quotes you get from Coaches about “the lads are hurting”, “we’re working hard in training” and the like, it’s vacuous nonsense. 

Widnes are rubbish and their players and coaching staff are rubbish and they’re where they are because they deserve to be. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Webster could have worded his approach a lot better. He was in a difficult situation and was being as pragmatic as he could, but one single interview raised a storm of hysteria which saw him gone.

I'm not saying his was the ideal approach, but Trinity had some serious problems at the time, and similar situations have been spun a lot more diplomatically since then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Daft and utterly meaningless sentence that. I’m sure West Wales would love to be top of Super League, I’m sure Parra would love to be a side that qualifies for the play-offs more than once every ten years, I’m sure London Broncos would love to win the Middle 8’s. 

It’s like one of the rent-a-quotes you get from Coaches about “the lads are hurting”, “we’re working hard in training” and the like, it’s vacuous nonsense. 

Widnes are rubbish and their players and coaching staff are rubbish and they’re where they are because they deserve to be. 

I'm not sure of your point. It doesn't really fit in with my post.

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Webster could have worded his approach a lot better. He was in a difficult situation and was being as pragmatic as he could, but one single interview raised a storm of hysteria which saw him gone.

I'm not saying his was the ideal approach, but Trinity had some serious problems at the time, and similar situations have been spun a lot more diplomatically since then.

Webster's wording is what he is getting criticised for and is what caused the criticism. Fans and sponsors and your bosses don't want to hear that you think you are rubbish and you will just worry about the last few games.

When they then start losing games 80 nil and the like you deserve to go.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yeah Webster made a stupid statement which the team never recovered from & his coaching career may never recover from, certainly not as a head coach.

After the 80 nil debacle Mr Carter entered the dressing room & told the players anyone who doesn’t want to be here can go. A couple left the UK, another high profile player left the club in basically a swap deal. Some astute deals were done & the club lived to fight another day, but not what Jamie Peacock insinuated in that funds were withheld to fund signings specifically for the qualifiers.

Which appears to me what Hull KR & others have done

24 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Yeah Webster made a stupid statement which the team never recovered from & his coaching career may never recover from, certainly not as a head coach.

After the 80 nil debacle Mr Carter entered the dressing room & told the players anyone who doesn’t want to be here can go. A couple left the UK, another high profile player left the club in basically a swap deal. Some astute deals were done & the club lived to fight another day, but not what Jamie Peacock insinuated in that funds were withheld to fund signings specifically for the qualifiers.

Which appears to me what Hull KR & others have done

Holding back salary cap budget for crucial parts of the season is smart. Look how many clubs have signed players in recent weeks, Wigan, Wire and Cas are included in that. Having money in reserve has been a tactic for a long time now.

I expect all of the clubs in the bottom 4 put together the best squad they could and hoped that bit would be good enough for top 8, and either not having to utilise the reserve budget or using it to mount a top 4 challenge. Widnes sacked their coach, suggesting they didn't aim for where they are.

Fwiw I don't think Wakey as a club acted differently, Webster did, in waving the white flag publicly and I thought he shamed the club. Carter clearly wasn't happy with the submissive approach.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:12 PM, Red Willow said:

We seems to have a number of clubs making late signings.

Salford have signed 3 players, Hastings Lussick and now Turgut. I can't decide whether it is a good idea or not. Hastings and Lussick are replacing long term injuries so aren't replacing anyone.

I hope they bed in quickly and it soes distrupt the team

Where have they got the money from ??? Not so long ago they were skint.

58 minutes ago, Trinity said:

So basically nobody including Wakefield has done anything wrong? Some proper guff in here.

If you were happy with your coach publicly waving the white flag early in the season then maybe you got the coach you deserved. Carter certainly didn't like it, good on him.

Now you could claim that was Webster bringing the club into disrepute, and that would be a fair point, but he was there speaking as Wakey manager.

They have never taken this defeatist approach since and have done pretty well.

Whether he did give up early doors is of his concern and nobody else's, the amount of bitching at the time compared to when any other team has done it was ridiculous. 

Webster calling time on the season has only effected himself and not the club.

51630401.jpg

Just now, Trinity said:

Whether he did give up early doors is of his concern and nobody else's, the amount of bitching at the time compared to when any other team has done it was ridiculous. 

Webster calling time on the season has only effected himself and not the club.

Well he was the manager of Wakefields Rugby Team. If he announces they are giving up then Wakey deserve stick.

Carter clearly didn't like his approach and he didn't last, and nobody else has made a similar cowardly announcement since.

Archived