11 Aug: Qualifiers: Leeds Rhinos v Toulouse Olympique KO 3.15pm (TV)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Toulouse Olympique
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/18 at 14:15

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Just Browny refuses to officiate in the Super League unless he can apply the death penalty to the entire Wigan squad and coaching staff before kick-off.

So there's still a little bit of paperwork to get through...

A sensible rule which I think we all agree will improve the game. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am a ref (not top flight though). Do you think Hewer’s performance was acceptable in that second half?

Are we getting to the stage where we allow teams to have a captains challenge in televised games ?

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am a ref (not top flight though). Do you think Hewer’s performance was acceptable in that second half?

Refs (like everyone else) make mistakes.

What I find comical is that when certain teams win,it's down to the ref having a poor game.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

20 minutes ago, MZH said:

And I'm sure he will.

But my point is that unless he gets a helping hand a referee can only call what he sees and because he is human he will get things wrong and nothing will ever change that. If he had the benefit of replays then I'm sure he wouldnt have made the same calls, but he doesn't. You just have to accept that they will have bad days sometimes and that this was one of them.

The change to the video ref in the qualifiers, is he can only intervene if he thinks the offence warrants a sin bin or Red. Who was the video ref? Was he watching something different to us?

I am genetically predisposed only to celebrate a Leeds win when the opponent's Saint Helens.

However, magnanimous to a fault, I'd like to say that the current SL champions playing at home  were clearly better than a Chsmpionship side playing in a foreign part of a foreign country. Strength and  stamina told in the end. 

1 hour ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Did you see what was on Kevs pad at half time?  `Lowes out`

He never even got tv coverage did lowes today was he even allowed to sit within 6 seats of sir kev

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

10 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

What I find comical is that when certain teams win,it's down to the ref having a poor game.

At least 3 x mistakes in favour of the same team in quick succession changed the game. It had become competitive up to that point with Toulouse in the match. I am sure Leeds would still have won as they had too much up front despite Toulouse causing you lots of dramas when they actually had the ball. Hewer’s performance in that second half was not good enough for a top flight referee.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

I am genetically predisposed only to celebrate a Leeds win when the opponent's Saint Helens.

However, magnanimous to a fault, I'd like to s6sy that the current SL champions playing at home  were clearly better than a Chsmpionship side playing in a foreign part of a foreign country. Strength and  stamina told in the end. 

Aye, Edwards claim to fame will be a scrum 10m in. Does he realise they are not contested anymore? Good luck with that venture.

Although Toulouse never gave up, once Leeds realised that they could win the confidence came back and they were just too powerful - what Toulouse need are a couple of big, nasty looking forwards like Cuthbertson. It's going to be interesting to see how well London do against Leeds on Ealing's artificial pitch.

2 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Although Toulouse never gave up, once Leeds realised that they could win the confidence came back and they were just too powerful - what Toulouse need are a couple of big, nasty looking forwards like Cuthbertson. It's going to be interesting to see how well London do against Leeds on Ealing's artificial pitch.

I’d be more interested about Leeds on that pitch. They’ve got a terrible record against Widnes on that artificial pitch

Although Toulouse never gave up, once Leeds realised that they could win the confidence came back and they were just too powerful - what Toulouse need are a couple of big, nasty looking forwards like Cuthbertson.

Agreed; I said earlier with a SL-standard starting front row, they’d destroy some teams.

15 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Don't think anyone's suggesting Toulouse should have won. Leeds were clearly the better team.

What Hewer did though was break Toulouse's spirit and ruined the game.

It's nowhere near the first time Mr Hewer has done this. He's certainly not SL standard, nor is he Championship standard in my experience .

If that had been London given the line speed against Widnes, they would have walked it. But Leeds have a 18th man to fall back on. Diabolical refereeing and completely changed the game. Hewer ruined it.

1 hour ago, Segovia Carpet said:
9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

What Hewer did though was break Toulouse's spirit and ruined the game.

Welcome to the championship

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Game went pretty much as I anticipated

The 'caution to the wind' style of Toulouse means they rack up big scores against average Championship teams, and works often enough against the top Championship teams to get them into the Top 4. But it will come unstuck against SL teams.

Yes, they came out on the wrong end of a few decisions, but also bombed a couple of clear chances themselves. They need some steady hands and a more adaptable game plan - with that in place they could make Super League in the next year or two.

Leeds shouldn't fall in love with themselves after that showing though. Very disjointed and 'clunky' as was said in the commentary. Actually I hope they do fall in love with themselves, because they'll get beaten a few times in these qualifiers if they don't massively improve

3 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Sorry,they have the use of a 4G pitch.They use it preseason or in bad weather but also train on a natural grass pitch.

Thank you.  Standing this on its head, I wonder if Widnes train on their 4G pitch  or on a natural grass pitch?

Archived