Crowds this season.

roughyed34

6 hours ago, cluedo said:

I can’t believe people actually want Naylor to stay we are a very easy team to coach against, we have been fairly good defensively but in truth we are awful in attack. The team has failed against all of its main challengers and this falls down to the coach despite his rants when we get beat.

Well i like Scott and his enthusiasm for the club, OK he gets it wrong sometimes but he gets zero financial backing , maybe if he had a better quality of players things would be different?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

We are a bit predictable yes but who else could as good a job as Scott on sod all of a budget. We might not be able to afford another coach.

Most teams are pretty predictable at our level I'm afraid. It's hard to come up with fancy plays when your team consists of guys who work for a living. Coaches feel they have to concentrate on the basics in the short sessions they have.

Most coaches in this league are working on small budgets, constant one up rugby and inside ball near the line, you don’t need lots of fancy moves either. Give the half backs more freedom to use the ball accept responsibility when something goes wrong instead of slating players in the local press. There would be no shortage of applicants if Naylor was to move on sadly as we know CH will be looking for the cheapest option and in my opinion the club has gone backwards on the coaching front since Deakin left. 

Back on the subject of crowds. I think that clubs are over charging across the game, crowds are dwindling at all levels of the game. A classic example of over charging was Bradford charging £20 for League 1 Rugby. They are getting away with it at the moment due to their blind following, that have not died off yet from their SL glory days. My personal opinion is, you should not be charging more than £10 for this level of Rugby, certainly if the facilities are basic at best.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:06 AM, saints10coach said:

Back on the subject of crowds. I think that clubs are over charging across the game, crowds are dwindling at all levels of the game. A classic example of over charging was Bradford charging £20 for League 1 Rugby. They are getting away with it at the moment due to their blind following, that have not died off yet from their SL glory days. My personal opinion is, you should not be charging more than £10 for this level of Rugby, certainly if the facilities are basic at best.

Or does Rugby League constantly sell itself short?  Act like a cheap sport and get shocked when we are treated as a cheap sport by sponsors etc?  How does RL pricing stand up to other sports?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The standard of league one is more or less the same as Saddleworth rangers save for the4 heartland clubs. The standard will only drop further when super league are running the A team league next year, young players kept and no dual reg. 

I do believe that the club is now down to the diehards and this will only decrease as the fan base is aging. The average age of the fans must be late 50s early 60s.

For me there is no direct link to the fans, which is a failing. 

Look at us, no ticket prices out yet no signings and no buzz being generated 

The ticket prices is one little piece of the Jigsaw like it or lump it rugby league as a sport is a minority sport now. 

If you ask anyone in Manchester to name a rugby club, apart from Wigan saints and Leeds they would name a rugby union team and more over they wouldn't know that there was two types of rugby. 

Remember Manchester is in the m62 corridor. 

15 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

I see latics players/staff haven't been paid again...

We'll never have a better time to negotiate favourable terms to return to BP imo...

think they are in the same sinking boat as roughyeds.

From where both clubs were in late 80s / early 90s its shocking to see how far both have fallen, at least ORLFC pay the players on time.

59 minutes ago, OLD YED said:

think they are in the same sinking boat as roughyeds.

From where both clubs were in late 80s / early 90s its shocking to see how far both have fallen, at least ORLFC pay the players on time.

IMHO this is a sign of the times. I believe that generally speaking younger people feel no allegiance to their home town, they just want to be on the side that's winning so they stick with SL and premier league teams. 

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Or does Rugby League constantly sell itself short?  Act like a cheap sport and get shocked when we are treated as a cheap sport by sponsors etc?  How does RL pricing stand up to other sports?  

If we are only getting 400 crowds charging £14, surely it would be better to try and get 600 crowds charging £10. As has been said above, a lot of the teams in our league are no better than the amateur teams we have in the town.

54 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

If we are only getting 400 crowds charging £14, surely it would be better to try and get 600 crowds charging £10. As has been said above, a lot of the teams in our league are no better than the amateur teams we have in the town.

Do you then budget on a crowd of 400 @ £10 or the hoped crowd of 600?  Given we are in CH1 with no Bradford or York?  

York charged £15 I think but crowds increased, so is it linked to ticket price or other factors?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We won't increase crowds while at whitebank..that's,sadly,a fact

Correct Oldham people want to have a drink and watch rugby 

which SL clubs have done well once they moved to new ground Warrington ground close to town centre St Helens ground close to town centre it’s not hard clubs failing Salford moved from supporters local 

Oldham moved were ever the rent is cheapist not where the supporters wanted 

When did the club ever ask it’s biggest asset what they wanted 

I was just reading on the Batley forum about removing concessionaery prices and making kids free and under 25's £10.

When I take my grandkids t the ground I pay. Currently £2 ea. Now my 14 year old will be continuing into 6th form and likely uni. 

Realistically, unless I or his parents pay then he will be a lost fan as the will basically be at school but expected to pay full price.

My point is, that in this day and age, the  "under 16" needs changing as we are making education compulsory until age 18/19.

We need this younger generation to be the future fan base of then club. 

I think this is where we are losing them.

Archived