Pangai Jnr chooses NSW over Tonga

Damien

This is disappointing news to say the least. It will mean he misses the mid season test in the short term. I just hope it doesn't lead into the Kangaroos getting sticking claws in long term:

NSW have received a huge boost ahead of the 2019 State of Origin series with talented forward Tevita Pangai Jnr choosing the Blues over Tonga.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/teams/new-south-wales/tevita-pangai-jnr-chooses-nsw-over-tonga-for-2019-origin-series/news-story/7eb26c7f22078caf104e0500a77e7991

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is still available for Tonga in the 2 games at the end of the season. Milford last year played for both Samoa and Queensland. He might not even be selected yet. In saying that its very disappointing. Its a tier 1 test of their brand new tournament involving the rank 1 and 2 worlds best nations and already through this action its been prioritised to 2nd behind state of origin before a ball has even been kicked. Another example of the game shooting its self in the foot.    

6 minutes ago, B rad said:

He is still available for Tonga in the 2 games at the end of the season. Milford last year played for both Samoa and Queensland. He might not even be selected yet. In saying that its very disappointing. Its a tier 1 test of their brand new tournament involving the rank 1 and 2 worlds best nations and already through this action its been prioritised to 2nd behind state of origin before a ball has even been kicked. Another example of the game shooting its self in the foot.    

You have to be fair to him..... Tonga can't pay him much and nothing is guaranteed in a RL calendar with international play.   I can see why he would choose to prioritise NSW as Origin is the premier challenge in RL... 

Maybe he can turn out for Tonga post season though? 

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Shouldn’t have to make these choices in the first place . Unfair on these guys . Tonga hardly play and they decide to schedule games exactly when Origin is . Can’t be missing a club game though I guess 

If they had all the games at the end of the year wouldn't be a problem

24 minutes ago, B rad said:

If they had all the games at the end of the year wouldn't be a problem

You need internationals during the season too. Just playing 3 or 4, at the most, internationals at the end of the season is no where near enough. Fans want more.

13 hours ago, Damien said:

This is disappointing news to say the least. It will mean he misses the mid season test in the short term. I just hope it doesn't lead into the Kangaroos getting sticking claws in long term:

NSW have received a huge boost ahead of the 2019 State of Origin series with talented forward Tevita Pangai Jnr choosing the Blues over Tonga.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/teams/new-south-wales/tevita-pangai-jnr-chooses-nsw-over-tonga-for-2019-origin-series/news-story/7eb26c7f22078caf104e0500a77e7991

The choice should have been made for him.

The rule should be once you have played for a country at senior level you shouldn't be allowed to switch  countries. Nice simple rule and easy to understand and no grey areas

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You need internationals during the season too. Just playing 3 or 4, at the most, internationals at the end of the season is no where near enough. Fans want more.

Agreed , not the issue . But cramming it  into one weekend , making guys who reach rep level choose an allegiance . That seems wrong , surely a little bit of common sense scheduling , even a few days apart , could be worked . It’s an honour to play origin and for your country - why put them in this position . Bit disrespectful to to sides like tonga

He was born in Sydney, that makes him Australian by birth, is it that strange that he wants to play for the State he was born in.

Why should every child of immigrants want to play for the Country of their Parents or Grand parents origin?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

He was born in Sydney, that makes him Australian by birth, is it that strange that he wants to play for the State he was born in.

Why should every child of immigrants want to play for the Country of their Parents or Grand parents origin?

I have no problem with that at all.

Except he's already chosen to play for Tonga.

People called Romans they go the house

4 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

I have no problem with that at all.

Except he's already chosen to play for Tonga.

He should play for Tonga then and forget about NSW and Australia, its that simple.

You can not have it both ways, If he feels he is a Tongan born in Australia.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Haven’t the rules changed so he can play for NSW and Tonga? 

Exactly. Nationality is a complex thing. I’ve no problem with a player being passionate about NSW and playing for Tonga. Lam was an example from another era of course.

Ultimately the international game needs to be allowed to grow to match State of Origin and this means the likes of Tonga getting more matches. 3 in season international matches and at least 3 end of season matches would be a major step in the right direction. No calendar like we have at the moment and the odd sporadic match isn't an attraction for anyone over SOO. Last season was seen as an improvement by many for Tonga, outside of a World Cup year, but still only resulted in 2 games.

Whether it's in the NRL's interest for that to happen and devalue State of Origin is another matter.

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ultimately the international game needs to be allowed to grow to match State of Origin and this means the likes of Tonga getting more matches. 3 in season international matches and at least 3 end of season matches would be a major step in the right direction. No calendar like we have at the moment and the odd sporadic match isn't an attraction for anyone over SOO. Last season was seen as an improvement by many for Tonga, outside of a World Cup year, but still only resulted in 2 games.

Whether it's in the NRL's interest for that to happen and devalue State of Origin is another matter.

Problem is the international game cannot generate much money. Its not the draw that Origin is. There is not a clear case for Tonga playing 5 games a year and it being viable. 

If we can get to a point where there's 2-3 matches a year at least announced with 11 or more months lead time, that Would be a good place. 

I feel everyone gets a bit carried away with Tonga as financially I don't see them being a sure thing, and unless the sums add up its hard to make more games happen... 

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

Problem is the international game cannot generate much money. Its not the draw that Origin is. There is not a clear case for Tonga playing 5 games a year and it being viable. 

If we can get to a point where there's 2-3 matches a year at least announced with 11 or more months lead time, that Would be a good place. 

I feel everyone gets a bit carried away with Tonga as financially I don't see them being a sure thing, and unless the sums add up its hard to make more games happen... 

Well it certainly won't be viable if we don't play more games. A Tonga crowd of 26k+ like they had 2 months ago should certainly be viable and if it's not then the wrong people are arranging it. NZ v Tonga next year will certainly be viable. A 3 match series involving Tonga, NZ and Samoa in the season would certainly be viable.

I certainly don't just believe everything that the NRL try to spoon feed people regarding the viability of international games and they are far from transparent on this. The NRL pocket all the associated sponsorship and TV rights for the Pacific Cup matches. They also plaster their branding all over prime time TV for 4 hours for free. It is very easy to selectively choose income and expenses to say you lost money on the actual game day. Its in their interests to say these matches are not viable as they want to control them and do not want them to happen at the expense of NRL or SOO games. Also why was the Australia v Tonga match not designated a home Tonga match? Did Tonga get a cut of the profits?

This is only an issue because the NRL loosened it's eligibility rules to allow players to play both for their state and their heritage nation, to strengthen international rugby league. They also established a club-free rep weekend to guarantee the Pacific Islands a mid-year test, something broadcasters would only agree to if Origin was also played on the Sunday. It's not ideal of course, but weighing all the factors up, this situation is ok with me. If picked, he can play for both next year, sacrificing one game in a tough choice. Not too bad!

Similarly, on the bashing of the NRL for not caring about international footy, I'd say while I query some of their actions, to be fair they are putting on a mid-year weekend of test footy (between countries too poor to host their own) and holding a regional pacific championship, along with the world 9s announced today. Of course they could and should do more, but still!

The crazy thing is that international league can generate a lot of money. In the UK the TV ratings alone justify a fairly big chunk of revenue if we could get a coherent and comprehensive programme that delivered consistent content. The rights to a well organised World Cup should generate a fair bit of dosh too. And the international game increases awareness way beyond what we attempt domestically. It ain’t that difficult to do if everyone pulled together. The RLIF have their arms tied behind their backs, the RFL is powerless because of SL, and the NRL is terrified because the players will want more money for fewer games however they grow the market, not that they have until they achieve the impossible of making all the clubs balance their books. 

Archived