Super league club asks players to pay for preseason camp

Davo5

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Relatively speaking a day or two as opposed to a week/ten days (whatever it error it was). If it was for longer I'd pay the £250 and look to bring my family too. 

But these things won't be options. This wasn't a holiday, it was work.

I've done similar to the above, paid extra for top restaurants when IN London for example, but purely my own choice that my employer isn't involved in.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I don’t think it’s Carvell’s place to make this public. Without reading through the whole thread, has a Wakefield player actually gone public about this or simply whinged to Carvell in private? 

I hope he'd be busy sorting out issues where clubs don't want to fulfill contracts or actually pay players in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I hope he'd be busy sorting out issues where clubs don't want to fulfill contracts or actually pay players in the first place. 

Agree. He must have bigger fish to fry than this. If the club’s players don’t like it then don’t pay. It’s that simple. Is Gareth the new Clint?

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The obvious benefit of training in warm weather over cold rainy weather

which is??? C'mon, please be specific as to what 3, maybe 4 training sessions in warm weather brings over training indoors/outdoors in the UK in preparation for cold weather preseason friendlies/competitive matches.

Well?

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

As a union rep he should make his point clearly using facts not vague hearsay.

I'm not sure there was too much wrong with what he said tbh. It brought the debate out into the open, and I thought he made his point well.

And I ain't Carvells biggest fan.

True. If (and its a big if in my view) SL clubs need help financing overseas pre-season camps - de rigeur in today's sports environmemt - then there are options other than asking the players to contribute. Are SL clubs that stretched intellectually that they can't do better than this?

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

True. If (and its a big if in my view) SL clubs need help financing overseas pre-season camps - de rigeur in today's sports environmemt - then there are options other than asking the players to contribute. Are SL clubs that stretched intellectually that they can't do better than this?

That’s a game wide thing IMO John. Clubs (not all but too many) come across to me as lazy. They appear to sit back and hope people will give them money for minimum effort.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

That’s a game wide thing IMO John. Clubs (not all but too many) come across to me as lazy. They appear to sit back and hope people will give them money for minimum effort.

It's a difficult one, because I'm sure that ain't true. I expect everybody who works at the clubs work really hard. I'm just not sure we necessarily invest in the right areas I.e. comprehensive commercial, sales and marketing departments. I think we have a lot of people who are decent at running local businesses, but wonder how many should be running our clubs and comp.

As a Wire fan, it still baffles me that Karl Fitzpatrick has managed to get the CEO role with his CV. The vast majority of which is as an RL player.

Same for Kris Radlinski at Wigan. Edit. Seems he isn't CEO, doesn't look like Wigan even have one.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a difficult one, because I'm sure that ain't true. I expect everybody who works at the clubs work really hard. I'm just not sure we necessarily invest in the right areas I.e. comprehensive commercial, sales and marketing departments. I think we have a lot of people who are decent at running local businesses, but wonder how many should be running our clubs and comp.

As a Wire fan, it still baffles me that Karl Fitzpatrick has managed to get the CEO role with his CV. The vast majority of which is as an RL player.

Same for Kris Radlinski at Wigan. Edit. Seems he isn't CEO, doesn't look like Wigan even have one.

As a sport we seem to be very much inward looking, as though whoever applies for an administrator job has to have come from the game or be a fan of it. On the other hand it may just be that people who are outside of the game are just not interested so we're left with the most qualified who are ,the ones who have a bit more upstairs than your average player.

2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

As a sport we seem to be very much inward looking, as though whoever applies for an administrator job has to have come from the game or be a fan of it. On the other hand it may just be that people who are outside of the game are just not interested so we're left with the most qualified who are ,the ones who have a bit more upstairs than your average player.

Yeah I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. Without paying top dollar I don't think we are just going to attract top talent, but this is seen as a risk when finances are so tight. But without the fresh blood we are just seeing the same things over and over repackaged.

The RFL have been terrible with this, often making the job requirements so specific to RL that it has to be an insider.

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Fair comment Dave. You’ve probably posted what I was trying to convey. I know that Hull don’t seem to promote the club or their games other than to people they already know will more than likely attend any way. Other than a banner near the Priory Park park and ride facility and an ad on the side of a bus driving around town (both of which now appear to have ended a few years ago) I’ve never seen any promotional stuff around the city or the surrounding villages.

rldfsignature.jpg

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Presume that's just delayed payback for when he played for "free".

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 11/30/2018 at 1:28 PM, yanto said:

Ok maybe I got it wrong..lets skip the christmas party as it seems half of you tight buggers wont be attending anyway looking at the above responces ? 

Lets change the direction to team bonding weekends.

Everyone expected to attend,working (in a sense) and having to contibute to some of the costs..now is that a better "Comparison".

Best comparison i can think of, and think it works quite well, was when working in the banking industry and was sitting my IAQ (IIRC) exams.. 3 part exams study etc.. I needed them for promotions but the bank wanted people with the knowledge etc so they pay for you to sit them. However, that payment was subject to you still working for the bank 3 years after you took the exam, if you left earlier you paid back a contribution towards it, that went down with each year/month you were there. 

Simply because the bank benefits from your experience so pays, but if you leave and take the qualifications then you have potentially got the next job due to those qualifications so you have benefited from it. 

The club will benefit from this as the players will be fitter, therefore the club should pay. Equally if a player leaves the club whilst under contract, the club is normally paid a transfer fee compensating them.. 

i do wonder though, with this being RL too, whether it was a tongue in cheek response to a player saying "can we go warm weather training instead" and the owner say "yeah if you pay for it!".. and the "joke" just got a little out of hand.

Archived