Fitness Thread

Week 5, day 2.

19-19-22-22-18-18-...then, I suddenly had to drive the wife to her work at the hospital, so a two hour break...22-50(45+)

Clearly, that cannot count. So, I will try it again on Saturday. I will be lucky to clear it without the big break, but the 50 at the end was pleasing. And the moobs are looking bigger already.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

18 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've actually managed to hit my 5k personal best during lockdown (23:46), a few years after last beating it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly fit and to many it isn't impressive, but it was a strange feeling knowing that that day was the fastest I've ever been able to run a 5k, a distance I've ran for a couple of decades and one where I've recorded my time for around the last 8/9 years.

I'm not 100% sure what has been the contributing factor. I've been running steadily for over a year but just a couple of weeks ago (about two weeks into isolation) I felt like I was really plateauing and complaining to my running group about how my running was really lethargic. The past couple of weeks, I've started doing a bit of fartlek running (which I've been meaning to for years) and also Joe Wicks steadily with the kids. His workouts aren't particularly taxing but it does mean I'm doing leg strengthening exercises everyday so there is a chance it has helped. Other than that, conditions were perfect and I just felt good getting up, some days it works some days it doesn't.

I'm planning on trying for my 10k PB tomorrow but it is probably less likely than the 5k was. Incredibly, the last 3 10ks I've attempted in a proper setting (a race or a park), I've managed 50:12, 50:12 and 50:10. The last one was just 2/3 weeks ago and at the same place I'll be trying tomorrow. My PB is 49:21 so it'll be a big ask especially as social isolation and healthy eating are much more difficult to control. 

I saw somebody tweet about a week back saying that lockdown is making them simultaneously fitter and fatter. That's exactly how I feel.

And I managed 50:20, so a minute off the PB. Still remarkable consistency over 10k, 4 within 10 seconds of each other!

I knew pretty early on it wasn't going to happen, just some days it feels good and easy and some it doesn't. It was a bit windy at times which didn't help but I'll dust off and go again another time. 

• Like 1

Finally got to the boxing gym and can spend some time training there this weekend. Very happy to be back.

...and as if by magic, down to 79.7kg

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Week One, Day Three - 8, 10, 7, 7, 15

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Week One, Day Three - 8, 10, 7, 7, 15

How was the 15 at the end?

6 hours ago, Bob8 said:

How was the 15 at the end?

Tough obviously!  Still working on my technique a little so its probably unfair to compare them all.  If I lose weight they will counter intuitively get harder... as I will get my chest closer to the ground! 

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Headed off for some work on the heavy bag, but was a bit sluggish and added breaks. After about 25 minutes, I came to an abrupt halt. The weight loss, three beers last night and intense exercise was too much. That is it for today, the push ups will have to wait.

A large dinner should help. This used to happen more when I was young and I would resent it not being socially acceptable to crack open the skulls of people who told me I was so lucky to need to eat so much food.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Push ups exhaustion test

You are now leading the way.

I will get back to it tomorrow hopefully.

I got back to the boxing gym today, and did this:

I struggled and have clearly lost a great deal of fitness.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

You are now leading the way.

I will get back to it tomorrow hopefully.

I got back to the boxing gym today, and did this:

I struggled and have clearly lost a great deal of fitness.

Have your gyms reopened over there then. Good news if they have. 

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Have your gyms reopened over there then. Good news if they have. 

The "gym" is a cellar with padded floor tiles (that I bought myself) and three heavy bags. It is completely unofficial.

Public gyms are all closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The "gym" is a cellar with padded floor tiles (that I bought myself) and three heavy bags. It is completely unofficial.

Public gyms are all closed.

Ah right nice to have now though 

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Ah right nice to have now though 

Very!

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sounds very Rocky and old school!

Yes, I am technically a member of an unregistered underground boxing gym. That said, most of the men are over forty and a good third of those who go are women. It is really a community gym.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Very!

Yes, I am technically a member of an unregistered underground boxing gym. That said, most of the men are over forty and a good third of those who go are women. It is really a community gym.

Fight Club. It's Fight Club, right? Of course, you'll not be talking about it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Fight Club. It's Fight Club, right? Of course, you'll not be talking about it.

I refuse to tell you the location. Until you are next in Copenhagen.

Just now, Bob8 said:

I refuse to tell you the location. Until you are next in Copenhagen.

Sadly, won't be anytime soon. The travel bill at my company has gone from hundreds of thousands to virtually zero overnight.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Very!

Yes, I am technically a member of an unregistered underground boxing gym.

That sounds so cool and hard core.

That said, most of the men are over forty and a good third of those who go are women. It is really a community gym.

Then you shatter the illusion ?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That sounds so cool and hard core.

Then you shatter the illusion ?

I went to a boxing gym in Las Vegas, it was only on the way it occured to me how cool it was that I was going to  a boxing gym in Las Vegas.

• Like 2

Just now, CanaBull said:

Pushups week 4 exhaustion test: 51.

OCD mini goal achieved!

Blimey.

Three of us in the fifties.

• Like 1