New SL Promo Video

30 minutes ago, Aidan Putt said:

It’s alright but personally I would have preferred we showcase some of the exciting product we have i.e. some actual footage from last year in there.90s is a long time if this is the standalone promo.

For the new take that it is, it looks slicker.

Its all based around New beginings (the strapline) it’s about creating anticipation of what’s to come not what has been. Last season was slated and everyone agreed a change was needed, showing footage from last year with last years players and kits etc does not work with the strapline new beginings. (In that respect Im not sure why theres a caneo shot of escare in last years GF but thats a minor criticism)

its also trying to focus on the players 

And who knows there may be more than one promo.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its all based around New beginings (the strapline) it’s about creating anticipation of what’s to come not what has been. Last season was slated and everyone agreed a change was needed, showing footage from last year with last years players and kits etc does not work with the strapline new beginings. (In that respect Im not sure why theres a caneo shot of escare in last years GF but thats a minor criticism)

its also trying to focus on the players 

And who knows there may be more than one promo.

How does the video portray new beginnings? 

Apart from the hashtag, I don't think that message comes across on any level tbh.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

How does the video portray new beginnings? 

Apart from the hashtag, I don't think that message comes across on any level tbh.

Simply the players getting ready for the new season ahead, I don’t think its any more than that.

look I think its a nicely shot teaser promo, I understand some may not like it and of course that’s everyone’s prerogative, I don’t think we do enough of these style of promos so glad it is in this style

8 hours ago, Shaggy said:

It's ok up to the end. What's the message? That Wigan and Saints have become friends?

The build up in the tunnel was great but it then needed to end with some match footage. But then if the message is "New Beginnings" then you don't really want to be showing old footage. 

You got a time machine that can get us this years footage???

Edit. Misread what I quoted, sorry.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This might be part of a series so I'm not too bothered, though I will say generally sport promos are always put at risk when creatives get involved, because the best formula is too easy and simple for their liking. All you really have to do is put good footage of the action to a rock soundtrack, add a couple of shots of cheering fans, flag waving kids, and sound bytes of commentators yelling things like "how good was that?!" "Brilliant!" and "this is what we came to see!" If you wanna be ambitious, throw in a few big name recruits glaring at the camera saying "I can't wait to rip in." or something. It's formulaic because it works.

7 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

This might be part of a series so I'm not too bothered, though I will say generally sport promos are always put at risk when creatives get involved, because the best formula is too easy and simple for their liking. All you really have to do is put good footage of the action to a rock soundtrack, add a couple of shots of cheering fans, flag waving kids, and sound bytes of commentators yelling things like "how good was that?!" "Brilliant!" and "this is what we came to see!" If you wanna be ambitious, throw in a few big name recruits glaring at the camera saying "I can't wait to rip in." or something. It's formulaic because it works.

Its a bit like the ad for the NRL last year

I was not fussed on it.

I prefer someting like the other Ad that was semi retro but got your adrenalin going.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

11 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Simply the players getting ready for the new season ahead, I don’t think its any more than that.

look I think its a nicely shot teaser promo, I understand some may not like it and of course that’s everyone’s prerogative, I don’t think we do enough of these style of promos so glad it is in this style

As a teaser it is ok. But teasers generally work as part of an overarching campaign, which with 1 week to go has not happened and is too late. This is the launch ad.

In terms of we get little like this, I disagree. A quick look back at the last 5 year's shows this is the third almost identikit advert. Although my personal view is this one was far weaker at putting the club and comp branding in front of you.

As a stand alone video, it is nice, but I'm not sure as a season launch promo it will get anyone discussing it (outside of here), sharing it, getting excited by it. It's a little self indulgent imho.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As a teaser it is ok. But teasers generally work as part of an overarching campaign, which with 1 week to go has not happened and is too late. This is the launch ad.

In terms of we get little like this, I disagree. A quick look back at the last 5 year's shows this is the third almost identikit advert. Although my personal view is this one was far weaker at putting the club and comp branding in front of you.

As a stand alone video, it is nice, but I'm not sure as a season launch promo it will get anyone discussing it (outside of here), sharing it, getting excited by it. It's a little self indulgent imho.

We'll agree to disagree.

But, It is getting discussed on Social Media.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

32 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

I’ve watched it a number of times, and personally, I think it’s great. I’ve read that there are alternative versions and may not necessarily be a stand alone video.

if it's part of a series then that is better but i'd have started posting the videos well before christmas.........anything coming out after this launch will be lost in all the footage of the actual games starting 

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

We'll agree to disagree.

But, It is getting discussed on Social Media.

They will have stats, some we will be able to see, but when I say discussed on social media, I am referring to it moving into the wider public consciousness. I don't think that will be happening with this. It is nice, but ultimately boring. 

Interestingly looking at the SL Facebook page, this has had 53k views and around 1100 shares so far. I expect that will increase dramatically over the next week, last year's ad had 283k (the terrible Brownlee brothers one). The Johnny Vegas one had many times more than that. Many hundreds of thousand views by being shared. 

It will be interesting to see where this ends up.

For all the talk about #newbeginnings, and stepping things up, telling a new story, it all looks remarkably samey:

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They will have stats, some we will be able to see, but when I say discussed on social media, I am referring to it moving into the wider public consciousness. I don't think that will be happening with this. It is nice, but ultimately boring. 

Interestingly looking at the SL Facebook page, this has had 53k views and around 1100 shares so far. I expect that will increase dramatically over the next week, last year's ad had 283k (the terrible Brownlee brothers one). The Johnny Vegas one had many times more than that. Many hundreds of thousand views by being shared. 

For all the talk about #newbeginnings, and stepping things up, telling a new story, it all looks remarkably samey:

i genuinely don't remember either of those videos, again, instantly forgettable.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think all of those Ads are pretty average for a game that is on its ###### trying to get new Fans to be interested in our game.

They seem so far out of touch its not funny.

Why would any punter from outside of our Sport see that and decide to go to a game?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, Chrispmartha said:

It’s a season opener promo you’ll get plenty chance to watch them play rugby

It’s a promo for rugby, shouldn’t there be rugby in it? That’s what there trying to sell us right? If Ford are selling cars they tend to have the car in their adverts

Archived