Sat 9 Feb: SL: Warrington Wolves v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 3pm

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/19 at 15:00

Contraryto an earlier post Maguire was nearest and immediately incensed,look at the video.Also Tomkins was down and held.Austin was riled that Tomkin had just beaten him and wanted to stop the quick ptb by flopping.Whether it was the elbow or knees the touch judge reported foul play hence the yellow card.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Why do you automatically take that to mean I think he is guilty.

If he deserves to have no sanction against him, then that's fine as well. 

Come on JP the context of the post assumed he was guilty.   He may well be, but the basis of that assumption is the opinions of a few KR fans at the game.   We don’t know what the Touch Judge raised the flag for.   It may be he interpreted the tackle as late contact when in fact Tomkins wasn’t held.   Conversely he may have seen an elbow to the head.   The video review will make things clear.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11632966/joel-tomkins-in-hospital-with-severe-concussion-after-hull-kr-loss-to-warrington

Looking at the replay I’m not quite sure what he’s been pinged for, but McGuire was right behind it all and just seems ready to play the ball.   Definitely wasn’t held and no swinging arm, so the only other thing could be a stiff elbow that is out of sight of the camera.

54 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11632966/joel-tomkins-in-hospital-with-severe-concussion-after-hull-kr-loss-to-warrington

Looking at the replay I’m not quite sure what he’s been pinged for, but McGuire was right behind it all and just seems ready to play the ball.   Definitely wasn’t held and no swinging arm, so the only other thing could be a stiff elbow that is out of sight of the camera.

McGuire is gesturing with his elbow and clearly not happy with it, in that video.

6 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I was at the game and saw nothing where is the footage of the elbow.

Perhaps it is time for a new user name?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Why has Vaivai been dropped Steve/Red Robin?

Thought he was a leading light for your lot.

Speak up at the back, did you say leaning light?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Don't mind the hkr fans having a moan it was their player who was injured but the wiganers moaning ,they will have to let go Joel is not playing for them anymore. They will have to rely on the rest of the players to dish out the third man in plays.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

He seems to be screaming at his players to get in position as no one else was supporting?

That's why he demonstrates the use of an elbow! Plus Tomkin's has dropped the ball and is poleaxed so what madman looks to play the ball.

Why are you so desperate to claim no incident!

Austin is a dirty bar steward, he did the same arm elbow action when Hurrell was on the ground, which caused a fracas...hope other opponents note Austins disgraceful behaviour....

25 minutes ago, East of the Moon said:

Austin is a dirty bar steward, he did the same arm elbow action when Hurrell was on the ground, which caused a fracas...hope other opponents note Austins disgraceful behaviour....

24 minutes ago, East of the Moon said:

There are some prima donnas on these forums these days, I am glad he has a bit of mongrel in his play good players usually do, he will have to turn it down a bit because it will hurt Warrington. I have seen enough in 2 games to be confident he will light up SL this season.

If you don't like any rough play you will struggle to support any rugby league team, they all have players who play on the edge and sometimes over it.

53 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

That's why he demonstrates the use of an elbow! Plus Tomkin's has dropped the ball and is poleaxed so what madman looks to play the ball.

Why are you so desperate to claim no incident!

I’m not taking sides there may well be something to answer for... just surprised once the footage was released that it didn’t look to be much compared to the furore on here, that sort of suggested he was hit late.   Must have been something hidden from the camera angle.

I’ve seen worse swinging shots than that in the first two rounds.

14 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Just watched the highlights on Sky’s website. I don’t think Austin has anything to worry about.

You can’t  tell what happens on the highlights on the sky website. The touch judge obviously saw something as he has advised the ref who has then sin binned Austin. Guess we will find out next week.

35 minutes ago, 7723 said:

You can’t  tell what happens on the highlights on the sky website. The touch judge obviously saw something as he has advised the ref who has then sin binned Austin. Guess we will find out next week.

Aye, I think there would need to be another camera for him to get a ban, as the touchjudge deemed it a yellow card incident, so not worthy of red. 

Not sure if there were multiple angles.

Agree 7723. The camera shots I have seen are on the blind side of the incident and a thorough review by RFL is needed. The touch judge said enough to put a home marquee player in the bin,Maguire immediately reacted to what he saw,and Tomkin's sustained a seemingly serious head knock. Oh and the Radio Humberside commentators immediately screamed elbow attack to the head. Perhaps they were on the same side of the pitch as the official.

We don't know what the touch judge reported but it was the Ref who decided yellow not red and he was on the wrong side of play to see the alleged assault. He was never going to show red to a home marquee player on the touch judges word!

2 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

The touch judge said enough to put a home marquee player in the bin

Do home marquee players normally get dispensation? ??

3 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

the Radio Humberside commentators immediately screamed elbow attack to the head.

The commentators this side of the Pennines immediately screamed late flop!

4 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

We don't know what the touch judge reported

This is exactly the thing.   Am I right in thinking once the charges come up they will state what he was sin-binned for?   In that case I would expect ‘use of the elbow’ to result in a ban or sin-bin sufficient.   If it was ‘late tackle’ I would think the footage exonerates Austin as the player clearly wasn’t held.

The camera angle is quite inconclusive. If the game was on Sky,  there would almost certainly have been an angle showing the point of contact.

I imagine that Austin will get a ban, as the RFL have to be seen to be protecting players from head shots, especially when they are in vulnerable positions like Tomkins was.

As there's little conclusive video evidence that an elbow was used, and only a yellow card was issued, I imagine it will be a 2 match ban at most, as opposed to 5 or 6 games ban Austin would be looking at, if there was evidence of use of the elbow.

19 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The camera angle is quite inconclusive. If the game was on Sky,  there would almost certainly have been an angle showing the point of contact.

I imagine that Austin will get a ban, as the RFL have to be seen to be protecting players from head shots, especially when they are in vulnerable positions like Tomkins was.

As there's little conclusive video evidence that an elbow was used, and only a yellow card was issued, I imagine it will be a 2 match ban at most, as opposed to 5 or 6 games ban Austin would be looking at, if there was evidence of use of the elbow.

Without video evidence it would be almost impossible to give a ban.

3 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

That's why he demonstrates the use of an elbow! 

No he didn’t. He signaled that the ball had been ripped out of Tomkins’ hands in the tackle.  Many Wire fans around us on that side of the ground had shouted for a knock on.  

12 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Contraryto an earlier post Maguire was nearest and immediately incensed,look at the video.

Well, this is conclusive proof. McGuire (note spelling) has been incensed every time he has been tackled in his entire career, not exactly a high threshold.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Without video evidence it would be almost impossible to give a ban.

I wonder if the view of the touch judge or referee, who must have seen something to issue a yellow card, would be taken into account.

Logically, if a yellow card was given, I accept that a ban shouldn't follow, but in the past that hasn't been the case.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Well, this is conclusive proof. McGuire (note spelling) has been incensed every time he has been tackled in his entire career, not exactly a high threshold.

I think the 'high threshold' is Tomkins sustaining severe concussion, how did this happen, any other suggestions?

Never mind implying Maguire is lying, can you be a bit more objective in your judgements....instead of towing the party line?

4 minutes ago, East of the Moon said:

I think the 'high threshold' is Tomkins sustaining severe concussion, how did this happen, any other suggestions?

Never mind implying Maguire is lying, can you be a bit more objective in your judgements....instead of towing the party line?

Very little of that made sense. Watching the video it is clear that McGuire is expressing annoyance at the fact Austin has flopped on and prevented the quick PTB McGuire wants. If you think your colleague has been attacked, you jump in and smack the offender or at least drag him off; you don't stand there waving your arms at the touchjudge.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I wonder if the view of the touch judge or referee, who must have seen something to issue a yellow card, would be taken into account.

Logically, if a yellow card was given, I accept that a ban shouldn't follow, but in the past that hasn't been the case.

Austin flopped on late to prevent a quick play the ball after a Rovers break. Comfortably a yellow card in its own right without foul play.

Archived