Brits in the NRL

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

With Shaun Wane as coach it wouldn't matter if he won the Dally M half back. No chance

WTF, I hope you`re not serious, that`d be f*#!ing crazy, I can understand national pride and all that and it wouldn`t be like you`d have a complete team full of ring-ins anyway, if they really want to call him that. Maybe he`ll see sense if Hastings continues to string some good games together. Surely winning the Cup has got to come first, who gives a toss how you do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

WTF, I hope you`re not serious, that`d be f*#!ing crazy, I can understand national pride and all that and it wouldn`t be like you`d have a complete team full of ring-ins anyway, if they really want to call him that. Maybe he`ll see sense if Hastings continues to string some good games together. Surely winning the Cup has got to come first, who gives a toss how you do it.

He is not guaranteed to pick players like Farnworth either. His approach and rhetoric so far has been pretty odd and narrow minded.

• Like 1

I'd have Hastings ahead of Widdop, and maybe even Lomax.

With Dodd seemingly done for, George Williams needs to perk up and start going better in a Warrington team that seems really down in the dumps. Him in good form and taking the line on alongside a bossing, controlling, ball-playing Hastings at 6 would be a promising pairing for England.

I just hope that Williams can get going because he's a super talent at his best.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd have Hastings ahead of Widdop, and maybe even Lomax.

With Dodd seemingly done for, George Williams needs to perk up and start going better in a Warrington team that seems really down in the dumps. Him in good form and taking the line on alongside a bossing, controlling, ball-playing Hastings at 6 would be a promising pairing for England.

I just hope that Williams can get going because he's a super talent at his best.

You know what mate, I couldn`t agree more. I was a big fan of Williams when he was over here and he was as good as anyone before it all went a bit pear-shaped at the Raiders, if he could hit a bit of form I`d reckon him and Hastings could be a real good combination at the Cup.

Hastings seems to be a bloke who wants to pay back people who show a bit of faith in him. A couple of weeks ago when he was out, he requested to travel with the Tigers when they played in Queensland, the club knocked him back saying it would be a bad look if he went and other players who were out didn`t. He got the clubs permission and booked his own flight up there and hired a car to get to the ground where he sat in the box with Maguire, I mean that`s a bloody good sign of someone who is committed. No wonder he said he had a tear in his eye when he saw Maguire celebrating in the box when he kicked that field goal the other night. Imagine if Wane gave him a phone call and showed a bit of interest in him, I`d reckon he`d play out of his skin for you guys if he was made to feel like he was wanted.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You know what mate, I couldn`t agree more. I was a big fan of Williams when he was over here and he was as good as anyone before it all went a bit pear-shaped at the Raiders, if he could hit a bit of form I`d reckon him and Hastings could be a real good combination at the Cup.

Hastings seems to be a bloke who wants to pay back people who show a bit of faith in him. A couple of weeks ago when he was out, he requested to travel with the Tigers when they played in Queensland, the club knocked him back saying it would be a bad look if he went and other players who were out didn`t. He got the clubs permission and booked his own flight up there and hired a car to get to the ground where he sat in the box with Maguire, I mean that`s a bloody good sign of someone who is committed. No wonder he said he had a tear in his eye when he saw Maguire celebrating in the box when he kicked that field goal the other night. Imagine if Wane gave him a phone call and showed a bit of interest in him, I`d reckon he`d play out of his skin for you guys if he was made to feel like he was wanted.

Mate Wane had him here last year. He was playing for Wigan - a club he loves - yet he still ignored him. Hastings ended up turning out for the combined All Stars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Heehee, I'm Irish, Rocket. That said, my dad is English and I tend to cheer on the English in RL when they're playing (partly because they're plucky underdogs, I suppose).

Hastings, as he's matured over the last few years, just seems like the sort of chap that it's easy to warm to and root for. That story you tell doesn't really surprise.

I hope he keeps playing well and, if he wants to be included in the England squad, I hope he lets it be known.

• Like 1

I go againt the grain on this one.  I don't want Wane to pick Hastings even though I highly rate him as a player.

I have waited all my life to see Great Britain / England beat Australia in a series or a tournament final and I don't want that to finally happen by picking Australians to play for England.

I know that people will point to posts I have made about heritage players being good for the game and showcasing as much talent as we can in the World Cup and call me a hypocrite.  And yes, you are probably right... but Hastings is an Australian and as an English Rugby League fan, when it comes to internationals, they play against us, not for us.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I go againt the grain on this one.  I don't want Wane to pick Hastings even though I highly rate him as a player.

I have waited all my life to see Great Britain / England beat Australia in a series or a tournament final and I don't want that to finally happen by picking Australians to play for England.

I know that people will point to posts I have made about heritage players being good for the game and showcasing as much talent as we can in the World Cup and call me a hypocrite.  And yes, you are probably right... but Hastings is an Australian and as an English Rugby League fan, when it comes to internationals, they play against us, not for us.

Totally understandable mindset, and perhaps one that's easier to rationalise when it's a heritage player who isn't presently playing in SL.

I haven't heard any recent quotes from Hastings around striving to make the England team. I hope at least that he's asked about his feelings about putting his hand up for the end of the year. I wouldn't like him to feel frozen out.

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Every country in every sport picks players who qualify using their heritage. If he qualifies and he’s the best available option get him in the squad, place of birth should not be a deciding factor, it’s simply do they qualify and are they good enough. Every country in the World Cup will have players who qualify on heritage. If Wane does go for this little Britain attitude and we have a poor World Cup I’ll be furious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Every country in every sport picks players who qualify using their heritage. If he qualifies and he’s the best available option get him in the squad, place of birth should not be a deciding factor, it’s simply do they qualify and are they good enough. Every country in the World Cup will have players who qualify on heritage. If Wane does go for this little Britain attitude and we have a poor World Cup I’ll be furious.

I really don't care what other sports do.  And when it comes to players like Oledzki and Leeming the place of birth is irrelevant as they have been developed through this country and system.

And yes, it matters to me that he is Australian as they have been our old enemy when it comes to international rugby... it would matter to me less if he was Samoan or Tongan or anything else.

But international Rugby League is supposed to be the best of ours against the best of yours and may the best team win... and I have seen the best of theirs beating us for 35 years.  I want us to finally beat them (if ever) with our own players.

Hastings is an Australian, born in Australia to Australian parents and developed through the Australian system.  He is one of theirs, not one of ours.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

And with that, I won't post on this topic in this thread again as it is a good topic on Brits in the NRL and I don't want to be responsible for derailing it.

But happy to debate it wider somewhere else.

• Like 2

It wasn't my intention to derail what is a really good thread (the thread that actually finally prompted me to make an account).

I realise of course that there will be a variety of feelings on Australian-born players potentially being selected. I brought up Hastings as I thought it note-worthy that a GB representative turned in such a fine performance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

It wasn't my intention to derail what is a really good thread (the thread that actually finally prompted me to make an account).

I realise of course that there will be a variety of feelings on Australian-born players potentially being selected. I brought up Hastings as I thought it note-worthy that a GB representative turned in such a fine performance.

No worries.  The eligibility chats are always emotive subjects and anything subjective will have differing and equally valid views.

However, from experience, they can also blow up and end up getting locked! Let's chat about Hastings' performances on here... as you say, he is a great Britain international. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 08:11, UTK said:

Harry Rushton named to make his NRL debut off the bench with Emre Guler dropped.

Ryan Sutton starts at lock again.

Oliver Gildart named in the reserves again - bit unlucky with them getting their first win and Starford To'a being one of their best.

Rushton scored a very cheeky try for Canberra reserves the other week. He looks like he’s got a great frame for top flight footy as well. Look forward to seeing how he goes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Whitehead to miss this weeks game against Penrith after suffering horrific facial injury in training.
https://bit.ly/3k1PSX3

That is some injury.  And shows again how tough the sport is that this is a training injury!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That is some injury.  And shows again how tough the sport is that this is a training injury!

To be honest with my England cap on I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he missed a few games as he seems to be knocking his pan in every week & you worry how much juice he’ll have come World Cup time if he continues that all season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Rushton scored a very cheeky try for Canberra reserves the other week. He looks like he’s got a great frame for top flight footy as well. Look forward to seeing how he goes 

That`s twice in a couple of weeks now I`ve seen an English player show great touch with the ball on foot to score a try, Farnsworth did the same for the Broncos, not attempting to pick it up but using great touch to `dribble` it into the in-goal. I imagine in your country a lot of these players would play a fair bit of soccer in their youth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The reply Tweet made me laugh.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Good to see. A good comment by Jackson Hastings too:

Who is he talking about?

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

That`s twice in a couple of weeks now I`ve seen an English player show great touch with the ball on foot to score a try, Farnsworth did the same for the Broncos, not attempting to pick it up but using great touch to `dribble` it into the in-goal. I imagine in your country a lot of these players would play a fair bit of soccer in their youth.

*Farnworth….

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The reply Tweet made me laugh.

Slightly off topic but there’s a good parody account on Twitter called RFL match review panel. It’s amusing both for the posts and for fans reactions (who don’t realise it’s a parody account)

• Like 1