Why no SL magazine show when Sky make this rubbish

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Was American Football always stop-start or was it more flowing many years ago pre-adverts?

The very nature of the game is stop-start as at the end of each play they start again with a formal restart at the line of scrimmage. But television has certainly added to that as they have timeouts purely for the benefit of television in addition to the ones called by each coach.

I think it is a great game. And I've said on here before that I wish RL had a highlights show that could hold a candle to the one fronted by Mark Chapman, Osi Umenyora and Jason Bell on the BBC.

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Huh? You'd prefer our sport to be rubbish to watch but have lots of cash?

NFL isn't rubbish to watch, in my view and of course in the view of millions of others. 

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Problem is as always whenever we get a RL show on TV/Radio/Podcast it just turns into a lets bemoan everything RL and is unwatchable. The majority of the RL press are grumpy 50 year old men.

This is very true. 

I binned off the FortyTwenty podcast for its negativity. 

Not convinced of the benefits of magazine-type programmes. Highlights, MotD programmes, yes. I think people want to see actual games. It's the actual games that are the strength of our code I believe. 

As regards other sports, all joking and ######-taking apart, they are miles ahead of us. Two or three more seasons and womens soccer and netball will e clipse us unless we up our game significantly as it were. 

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not convinced of the benefits of magazine-type programmes. Highlights, MotD programmes, yes. I think people want to see actual games. It's the actual games that are the strength of our code I believe. 

As regards other sports, all joking and ######-taking apart, they are miles ahead of us. Two or three more seasons and womens soccer and netball will e clipse us unless we up our game significantly as it were. 

Haven’t they already? Women’s Football is getting a weekly Sunday afternoon slot on BBC and I’m sure Netball is shown more, as in live games, replays etc, than RL currently is on Sky. 

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

I was referring to inclusion in sports news, press, attendances too. 

Inclusion in sports news perhaps, but only because of the agenda to push women’s sport way above demand. Attendances wont grow markedly because there is no evidence that people are interested in consuming women’s team professional sport on a regular basis. The exceptions are special events. 

I can’t abide American football, to me it’s utter garbage. However it’s hugely popular with Americans but more importantly it appeals to the easily led and there cash.

What we do to emulate that I don’t know exactly but one thing that would help is if RL fans including those on here were not so negative and miserable. You can’t expect others to push the game or buy into it if you can’t be bothered, lead by example!

If every time some self appointed sage on here wants to take a pop at the game just to show how smart they think they are didn’t, then that would be a start.

American sports are by nature helped by the fact that there is less negativity from the commentators . They go wild about the attacking abilities of their players in different sports as opposed to highlighting defensive failings , it`s all praise and no criticism .In Great Britain however we like to analyse why every goal , try has been scored or wicket lost or run scored .Geoff Boycott and   Alan Shearer in particular like to point the finger , and some of the Rugby League commentators like to point out players/referees mistakes .It`s just the British way , we analyse ,  the Americans just big everything up .

On 03/05/2019 at 20:28, GUBRATS said:

It was a growth sport 30 years ago , I knew a few lads who played it , local team ' Leigh Razorbacks ' , it was going to take over from RL , 2 years later ? Gone 

And where are the "London Monarchs" today? No where, finished.

On 06/05/2019 at 18:16, Kirmonds pouch said:

I can’t abide American football, to me it’s utter garbage. However it’s hugely popular with Americans but more importantly it appeals to the easily led and there cash.

I simply don't "get" American Football. Yes it looks good but who knows what's going on or why. I can't stand all the stop start. One thing they do know how to do is to sell and market the game. I have a "Seattle Seahawks" T-Shirt, it's a thing of beauty, my wife brought it home from Sainsbury's ! I have never seen them play and know nothing about them, but it's still a nice T-Shirt. How much better would it be if we were looking at Tigers, Wolfs and Broncos T-Shirts in Sainsbury's? Especially coinciding with Magic Weekend. ??

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

the biggest clubs any club sport in this country bar football.

I think Football (Soccer) dominates everything in UK Sport.  I am deep in RU country, my child's school pals have an awareness of Saracens, Northampton Saints, Harlequins, Leicester Tigers, that's who they recognise as major "Rugby" teams and relate to in terms of teams they might be likely to see play. With the "grown ups" at work, the Soccer Crowd don't know what I am talking about with RL but are open minded and not hostile. The RU crowd are dismissive of my eccentricity, unlikely they will be won over in the short term. But, there is massive "brand recognition" for Bradford Bulls and Leeds Rhinos. No matter their status today they have a brands that are cutting through to the mainstream general public.

NFL is a commercial monster and it's brilliant..........you just have to appreciate how it works.

It's a series of set plays rather than a flowing game..........they have basketball, ice hockey and soccer for that.

As well as advertising the stoppages allow for analysis and debate.........the sport is designed so you can talk to your mates, drink beer and eat hotdogs and not miss anything.

I never liked it til i spent some time in NY at the beginning of the NFL season and it was the only thing on tv........now i'm into it and it's brilliant.......it's also on over the RL off season so the two sports fit together really well.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived