Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Rhinoferg

Attendances,Gate Money and figures

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, paul hicks said:

for those traveling by coach to Headingley there's at least 20 places to eat from restaurants to pizza shops all with less than a 10 min walk and of course at least 3 pubs

Yep, As I said in my comment

Although I was referring to those travelling by club coaches, hence maybe not time to munch around before game

Edited by redjonn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats a different kettle of fish!

Not sure if that's a joke...as the point is that saints grade the price on which club they are playing. Thus they have deemed which clubs they charge more for.

I thought it was a good comparison. All be it for a different customer but they have s grading of teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

indeed although I find quite often coaches can turn up as much as 2 hours before a game and certainly more than an hour in most cases. 

so fish n chips 2 shops within a 5 min walk pizza at least 8 same distance and a whole variety  from vegan to curry in the same area.  lets not forget we are talking the main student area of Leeds surrounds the ground and can be very busy especially in a Friday night .

in fact you should try the vegan café its owned by Anthony Mullaly the former Leeds and now Toronto player who has 2 of these cafes in the area .

this just brings me to another pet hate and that's clubs who only open there gates 45 mins before kickoff when there's  ######  all outside the ground to get something to eat . step up Huddersfield in that regard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spurs open ground 2 hours or so before ko, & offer beer & pie deals for 1st hour! They also have a large food/drink area in south stand with a variety of food & drink on offer. Perhaps rl could copy this & get supporters buying inside the ground. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kev p said:

Spurs open ground 2 hours or so before ko, & offer beer & pie deals for 1st hour! They also have a large food/drink area in south stand with a variety of food & drink on offer. Perhaps rl could copy this & get supporters buying inside the ground. 

They could , if they reduced their prices dramatically , and improved their quality , but it isn't easy to make money running part time businesses 15-20 times a year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 09:51, Rhinoferg said:

Having watched the super league show the other night it was evident that the grounds ( like most of the season) have looked a bit empty! 

So I did a bit of googling,some maths and worked out approximately how much each club receives for a home game based on it's average attendance this season,and based on an average of £25 a ticket (yes I know some pay less and some pay more) 

For example, Huddersfield's average gate is 5,271, (£131,775) so if they wanted to fill the ground (capacity 24,500) then to receive a similar gate money they could drop the tickets to £6, surely people would go if it was this cheap ( and they would buy food which adds to the overall receipts)

Leeds average 12682 (£317,050) they could reduce to £16 and receive the same money for a full house.

The game needs bums on seats, because the more interest,the more the word is spread.

I remember 10 years ago going to Wigan to watch Leeds in the 'big one' £10 a ticket, it was a full house more or less.

Thoughts people?

Flawed logic, not even taking into account that season pass holders already get a significant discount and make up the bulk of home gates.

Reducing the ticket price does not and never has had a long term effect in terms of increasing gates, all it does is devalue the product, if your team is still losing/playing garbage then even if it's £6 people simply won't come even if they could, as soon as you fail to fill the stadium to capacity you're losing money compared to what you would get ordinarily.

You can come back and say  more people = more income from sales of food/drink, maybe, but again that's not guaranteed and nor indeed is the additional costs for security/staffing numbers/police/parking congestion of locality etc taken into account.

Also people have other things that they deem more important of their time and/or of more interest, they wouldn't come even if it was free, we already know this is the case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 11:57, Dave T said:

A few comparable prices. Cheapest Adult Prices:

Lancs T20 - £12

Lancs County Championship - £10

Man City Prem League - £24

Man Utd Prem League - £36

Sheff Utd Prem League - £29

Prem League Darts - £23

Athletics Grand Prix - £25

For Football cup games ticket prices are generally much cheaper. We have a lot of competition, people can get top class sport for prices not dis-similar to what we pay. Now that is fine generally, as personally I'd rather watch a standard SL game for £24 than a Man City game - but I am in the minority. 

I'm not saying we need to reduce our prices, but I think we need to be aware of how the world around us is changing. I would be looking at a wider spread of ticket prices, starting cheaper and with more premium experiences available. 

How much sponsorship/prize money per active participant, this is the rub, RL has a very small amount of relative money coming into the game per person playing.

In England 1st class cricket gets £43M/year, this does not include TV deals.

T20 is cheap to get in but makes a loss, even in India were it is massive, http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money and that included a US$1 BILLION TV deal and overall the Indian league made a US$33M LOSS over the first 5 years. How that will change with a $2.5Billion deal who knows but cheap tickets once again do not equal actual increase in profit for clubs/leagues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kev p said:

Spurs open ground 2 hours or so before ko, & offer beer & pie deals for 1st hour! They also have a large food/drink area in south stand with a variety of food & drink on offer. Perhaps rl could copy this & get supporters buying inside the ground. 

The problem is that unless you offer a decent quality then people are less interested in paying high prices for slop even if it's convenient, and frankly the general offer (outside of the corporate boxes) is slop, I wouldn't feed it to a pig! 

Morecombe FC for instance did a pie and peas combo five years back for £2.80 - IMO somewhat undervalued but if they made money then fair play to them for setting it at a reasonable price level,  and was voted by far the best pie in football, given it was hand-made on site that's not surprising.

I know the head chef at the KCOM, we went to college together, I don't know what Ian's kitchen capacity is with regards to production - there's a max 450 seats in one of the main rooms plus the 28 boxes so I would think it's fairly substantial, so I would think that they could make several thousand hand made pies (they'd obviously need more staff) and freeze/refrigerate for cooking on match days. A premium product commands a higher profit margin in my professional experience and gets a better return custom. I don't know what the pies are currently at the KCOM but was Hollands (often Peters mass produced cack is to be found around the country) last I saw it a fair few years ago it was £3.20 for a pitiful more pastry than filling pie. I'd rather pay £5 for something decent that mde in house actually costs less.

Not suprisingly the Allam's manage to make a loss on the stadium, all part of their heinous plan to grab the stadium from the council for nothing. Deliberately running down the stadium and generating losses whilst paying themselves massive salaries, so for me I don't actually care if they generate more income or not, it doesn't effect FC in reality.

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 12:36, Dave T said:

Yes, I often make this point when we end up with threads around playing fewer games because American Football do that. We aren't competing with them for live audiences. 

We are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

They could , if they reduced their prices dramatically , and improved their quality , but it isn't easy to make money running part time businesses 15-20 times a year 

Which brings us back to exploiting our facilities all year round not just on gameday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Which brings us back to exploiting our facilities all year round not just on gameday. 

If you own the facility yes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, yipyee said:

We are

People arent staying away from the Halliwell Jones for a trip to Dallas to watch NFL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paul hicks said:

indeed although I find quite often coaches can turn up as much as 2 hours before a game and certainly more than an hour in most cases. 

so fish n chips 2 shops within a 5 min walk pizza at least 8 same distance and a whole variety  from vegan to curry in the same area.  lets not forget we are talking the main student area of Leeds surrounds the ground and can be very busy especially in a Friday night .

in fact you should try the vegan café its owned by Anthony Mullaly the former Leeds and now Toronto player who has 2 of these cafes in the area .

this just brings me to another pet hate and that's clubs who only open there gates 45 mins before kickoff when there's  ######  all outside the ground to get something to eat . step up Huddersfield in that regard 

Yep, Headingley Stadium surrounding area has a lot of options... Salvo's or Bryans use to be my preferred options depending upon type of food I fancied.  Other grounds don't have such a good choice, especially if thinking about independents rather than big chains... 

As for Huddersfield, my missus never stops reminding me how bad the choice is in the ground when I delighted her in an expensive "sausage roll".  She now insists on hospitality.... although I'm more a meat and potato pie man myself... its how I grade the food in-stadium

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 18:51, Rhinoferg said:

Having watched the super league show the other night it was evident that the grounds ( like most of the season) have looked a bit empty! 

So I did a bit of googling,some maths and worked out approximately how much each club receives for a home game based on it's average attendance this season,and based on an average of £25 a ticket (yes I know some pay less and some pay more) 

For example, Huddersfield's average gate is 5,271, (£131,775) so if they wanted to fill the ground (capacity 24,500) then to receive a similar gate money they could drop the tickets to £6, surely people would go if it was this cheap ( and they would buy food which adds to the overall receipts)

Leeds average 12682 (£317,050) they could reduce to £16 and receive the same money for a full house.

The game needs bums on seats, because the more interest,the more the word is spread.

I remember 10 years ago going to Wigan to watch Leeds in the 'big one' £10 a ticket, it was a full house more or less.

Thoughts people?

Better match day marketing would increase crowds.

Bigger match day crowds = extra revenue not only through the gate but sales of drinks and food = more money going into a clubs coffers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Better match day marketing would increase crowds.

Bigger match day crowds = extra revenue not only through the gate but sales of drinks and food = more money going into a clubs coffers

You need to patent that statement before somebody else thinks of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You need to patent that statement before somebody else thinks of it 

The question is then why is match day marketing so poor at a majority of Rugby League league clubs.

Why is Rugby League in general so poor at marketing the game from juniors to international level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The question is then why is match day marketing so poor at a majority of Rugby League league clubs.

Why is Rugby League in general so poor at marketing the game from juniors to international level?

Probably because most clubs see their marketing as throwing more money at a wife beating/dog fidlling/lift excrementing Aussie 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Probably because most clubs see their marketing as throwing more money at a wife beating/dog fidlling/lift excrementing Aussie 

Well that plan hasn't worked with the has been's and never was players we get over here nowadays from the NRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"More Marketing" is a rather more complex idea than some posters would have us believe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Well that plan hasn't worked with the has been's and never was players we get over here nowadays from the NRL.

But they keep trying it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

People arent staying away from the Halliwell Jones for a trip to Dallas to watch NFL.

Don't be pedantic..

People in London (and nationwide) now have an increasing number of NFL games to watch.

Edited by yipyee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Don't be pedantic..

People in London (and nationwide) now have an increasing number of NFL games to watch.

It's not pedantic, there are 3 or 4 games a year, some outside of the SL season. We have far bigger competition right on our doorstep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

How much sponsorship/prize money per active participant, this is the rub, RL has a very small amount of relative money coming into the game per person playing.

In England 1st class cricket gets £43M/year, this does not include TV deals.

T20 is cheap to get in but makes a loss, even in India were it is massive, http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money and that included a US$1 BILLION TV deal and overall the Indian league made a US$33M LOSS over the first 5 years. How that will change with a $2.5Billion deal who knows but cheap tickets once again do not equal actual increase in profit for clubs/leagues.

 

If IPL makes a loss, there must be either fingers in the pie or a very bad business plan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kev p said:

If IPL makes a loss, there must be either fingers in the pie or a very bad business plan!

That link repeatedly says the IPL teams make huge profits and links to other stories discussing the size of IPL profits.

The cheapest ticket to watch IPL in Bangalore this year was £22. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...