The Grand Final band is...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the band does it for free for some advertising - I wouldn't bother and would save the money.

Shed Seven will be adding precisely zero additional ticket sales from their appearance.

50 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Unless the band does it for free for some advertising - I wouldn't bother and would save the money.

Shed Seven will be adding precisely zero additional ticket sales from their appearance.

Agreed.

We should go a bit further as nobody buys tickets for the fireworks. Few grand saved.

Cheerleaders? Bin 'em. 

Sound setup and DJ? Gone. 

Flags etc? Away with them.

We could probably save tens of thousands and not affect ticket sales at all.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

do people go to the super bowl just for the half time show (would you sit through 2 hours of NFL just for a 15 minute pop segment?) ?? 

its about the overall "event"

we have to get away from people looking at the "matchday experience" being just about the match... 

I for one enjoy the band and do look to get there earlier if they are a good band.... and have an extra beer in the ground rather than in the pub etc etc (not that i need an extra one by that stage to be fair.. )

Imagine if SL did what a lot of people here want and got in One Direction and Little Mix and then got Oasis to reform and they all did a 3 hour gig before the game - ok it would be a sell out but the ground would empty by kick off as none of the people who turned up for the gig would stay for the game. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Imagine if SL did what a lot of people here want and got in One Direction and Little Mix and then got Oasis to reform and they all did a 3 hour gig before the game - ok it would be a sell out but the ground would empty by kick off as none of the people who turned up for the gig would stay for the game. 

Imagine the headlines though!

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Making stuff up is fun!

For what it is worth as a comparison the NRL are using OneRepublic as the Grand Final Band this year and promoting this song from five years ago.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

15 minutes ago, Allora said:

For what it is worth as a comparison the NRL are using One Republic as the Grand Final Band this year and promoting this song from five years ago.

You mean the NRL are actually using a band that is still relevant in todays society? Rather than one that had it's two hits in 1999, and anyone under the age of 30 probably hasn't heard of them?

I did like some people mentioning Razerlight, etc earlier - At least they were quite popular!

5 minutes ago, Click said:

You mean the NRL are actually using a band that is still relevant in todays society? Rather than one that had it's two hits in 1999, and anyone under the age of 30 probably hasn't heard of them?

I did like some people mentioning Razerlight, etc earlier - At least they were quite popular!

Dunno, I am old enough not to follow much new music either way.

The song I posted by OneRepublic is pretty catchy though.

I have never heard of Shed 7 but that does not really mean much.

3 minutes ago, Click said:

To be fair, last year's band was Blossoms who are modern and appeared to fit in with Elstone's commentary of younger audiences etc. But now we are back to old indie bands.

I actually have nothing against some of the selections tbh, James was a brilliant choice, I am a fan of the Charlatans, the choice of Razorlight encouranged me to go, as did Blossoms, but I think now we are getting to the point that it is all a bit tired. 

I hope I am wrong, but I am 99% certain that the format will see Rugby AM running a Yorkshire fanzone outside, with the band tucked away in the corner of the ground while they unpack a load of sheets on the pitch and set off some fireworks as the teams come out. It's all very nice, but then it was the last few times I saw it too.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, last year's band was Blossoms who are modern and appeared to fit in with Elstone's commentary of younger audiences etc. But now we are back to old indie bands.

I actually have nothing against some of the selections tbh, James was a brilliant choice, I am a fan of the Charlatans, the choice of Razorlight encouranged me to go, as did Blossoms, but I think now we are getting to the point that it is all a bit tired. 

I hope I am wrong, but I am 99% certain that the format will see Rugby AM running a Yorkshire fanzone outside, with the band tucked away in the corner of the ground while they unpack a load of sheets on the pitch and set off some fireworks as the teams come out. It's all very nice, but then it was the last few times I saw it too.

What's the missing ingredient(s) that you would add in to the match day experience Dave? Inside and outside the ground.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Dunno, I am old enough not to follow much new music either way.

The song I posted by One Republic is pretty catchy though.

I have never heard of Shed 7 but that does not really mean much.

Just as a little run down of some of the numbers for One Republic - Their current most popular song on Spotify is "Rescue Me" with 162,836,943 listens. Their "counting Stars" is their most popular song, which has 896,452,091 listens on Spotify. So compared to shed 7's 7 million listens for their most popular song.

I think it tells the story quite well with those numbers.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe they tried to get more modern bands but they couldn’t or wouldn’t make it. It’s easy for people to throw stones when they haven’t got a clue what’s actually gone on. Regardless I’m chuffed it’s Shed 7 this year. 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What's the missing ingredient(s) that you would add in to the match day experience Dave? Inside and outside the ground.

Free Beer

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe they tried to get more modern bands but they couldn’t or wouldn’t make it. It’s easy for people to throw stones when they haven’t got a clue what’s actually gone on. Regardless I’m chuffed it’s Shed 7 this year. 

They couldn't of tried very hard if they had to go to Shed 7 as their most "modern" band.

9 minutes ago, Click said:

Shed Seven had 13 top 40 singles during the 90's indie hey day. Their biggest selling album came out at the end of 2017, and they're about to start a sell out tour which includes a gig at Leeds Arena. They're also my 21 year old brother's favourite band.

Be a music snob all you like but don't just make stuff up.

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Shed Seven had 13 top 40 singles during the 90's indie hey day. Their biggest selling album came out at the end of 2017, and they're about to start a sell out tour which includes a gig at Leeds Arena. They're also my 21 year old brother's favourite band.

Be a music snob all you like but don't just make stuff up.

and counting stars came out in 2013.. so its not their newest but yes catchy etc.. also One Republic is an American band which will skew their spotify listens as America is a massive audience.. lets be fair we are looking to appeal to a UK audience so a UK band is not necessarily the wrong way to go but it will always have fewer spotify listens unless you get the ultramassive bands which is unlikely just yet.. 

personally I would have them on the middle of the pitch as a mini concert.. make it the party atmosphere.. you see it at the super bowl and at the NRL that staging is quickly up and down so dont see why it wouldnt be possible.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

4 of the last 5 years - James, Charlatans, Razorlight, Shed Seven - that lineup hasn't happened by accident.

14 minutes ago, Allora said:

Free Beer

I have always though the Super League Grand Final would benefit from more drunk people in attendance!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I have always though the Super League Grand Final would benefit from more drunk people in attendance!

Quality free "Craft Beer" consumed by Beer connoisseurs that know when to say enough.

?

I do enjoy the northern indie route that they've gone down but Shed 7 wouldn't have been my first choice. No doubt they're a great indie band but they don't feel current enough and are probably more of a cult band these days than one with a mass appeal.

If we're just plucking names out of the air then personally I'd have liked to have seen Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Courteeners, The Vaccines or The Wombats (although I know they already did it ten years ago.) Maybe all of the above were contacted and were already busy though, who knows.

Archived