Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sun 29 Sept: Championship Preliminary Final: Toulouse Olympique v Featherstone Rovers KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

82 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • Featherstone Rovers

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 17:30

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

No, Fev don't offer much do they? Other than having a stadium far better than Toulouse, Toronto, Cas & Wakefield, and on top of that they actually own it, which means they also bring in good revenue, both on match days and throughout the year.

A lot of folk also seem to forget that the Featherstone area, including the Fev halves of Pontefract and Sharlston, was in the days before Super League arguably the most productive hotbed of Rugby League talent within the game. Although they still produce loads of local talent it's maybe not as famous since they were unceremoniously omitted from Super League. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be????

I would 100% agree with all of that Steve

However, it still remains a fact that if Featherstone were in SL next season we'd have three clubs within a few miles of each other, all within the Wakefield MDC.

IF Featherstone had been in SL all along - instead of Wakefield or Castleford - then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone would agree that Featherstone brought plenty to SL. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen and we are where are...

I just wish Featherstone could somehow magically be moved on the map to an area with less concentration of other clubs - but obviously that can't happen.

2 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

But you said they were dropping.....up,  I would say is the opposite of dropping. No?

Whatever! 

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

I would 100% agree with all of that Steve

However, it still remains a fact that if Featherstone were in SL next season we'd have three clubs within a few miles of each other, all within the Wakefield MDC.

IF Featherstone had been in SL all along - instead of Wakefield or Castleford - then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone would agree that Featherstone brought plenty to SL. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen and we are where are...

I just wish Featherstone could somehow magically be moved on the map to an area with less concentration of other clubs - but obviously that can't happen.

What is the problem with having the three WMDC Clubs in SL if they have earned the right to be there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

No, Fev don't offer much do they? Other than having a stadium far better than Toulouse, Toronto, Cas & Wakefield, and on top of that they actually own it, which means they also bring in good revenue, both on match days and throughout the year.

A lot of folk also seem to forget that the Featherstone area, including the Fev halves of Pontefract and Sharlston, was in the days before Super League arguably the most productive hotbed of Rugby League talent within the game. Although they still produce loads of local talent it's maybe not as famous since they were unceremoniously omitted from Super League. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be????

my reponse was a question - offering a possible solution to the shrinkage of the game claimed by 'Mad Red Nigel'.  I have no idea why he asked the question, but he felt the sport was shrinking, crowds wise.... (another poster proved him wrong) so i threw it out there that one idea might be to get some clubs from new places as opposed to West Yorkshire.  If W Yorks fans want to watch SuperLeague, they can watch Castleford or Leeds or Huddersfield (or even Wakefield if they really want to I suppose) so that market is well covered (saturated?)

I really don't remember how the Pontefract and Sharlston boroughs produced players in the 1980s, but I would hazard that it changes nothing now.  Players developed in W Yorks have a professional pathway (several in fact) without even moving house.  The whole of France has 2 professional teams, so I would suggest opening up that location would offer more than throwing in yet another team from the same place!  Toronto offer a lot more even than that IMO, so it is a no brainer for me that we are better off if those teams appear in the final.

Fair play to them for owning their ground - it is a massive plus as you say, and something the sport badly lacks (bricks/mortar infrastructure).  The club clearly has some things in its favour, and some strong negatives - much like any other.   On balance, would Super League be better or worse off with them in it?    For me, it is a No.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Just now, Celt said:

my reponse was a question - offering a possible solution to the shrinkage of the game claimed by 'Mad Red Nigel'.  I have no idea why he asked the question, but he felt the sport was shrinking, crowds wise.... (another poster proved him wrong) so i threw it out there that one idea might be to get some clubs from new places as opposed to West Yorkshire.  If W Yorks fans want to watch SuperLeague, they can watch Castleford or Leeds or Huddersfield (or even Wakefield if they really want to I suppose) so that market is well covered (saturated?)

I really don't remember how the Pontefract and Sharlston boroughs produced players in the 1980s, but I would hazard that it changes nothing now.  Players developed in W Yorks have a professional pathway (several in fact) without even moving house.  The whole of France has 2 professional teams, so I would suggest opening up that location would offer more than throwing in yet another team from the same place!  Toronto offer a lot more even than that IMO, so it is a no brainer for me that we are better off if those teams appear in the final.

Fair play to them for owning their ground - it is a massive plus as you say, and something the sport badly lacks (bricks/mortar infrastructure).  The club clearly has some things in its favour, and some strong negatives - much like any other.   On balance, would Super League be better or worse off with them in it?    For me, it is a No.

What do you actually want then, a closed shop League with entry by invitation only? That's what it sounds like. So no promotion and relegation, so no hope for traditional heartland Clubs. Just remember what happened to PSG, Celtic Crusaders and, as well as they did this season, London, still failing to grow their crowds and playing at a sub standard ground. Teams who qualify by their achievements on the field should be allowed to take their place in the League, no matter where they are based.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Just remember what happened to PSG, Celtic Crusaders and, as well as they did this season, London, still failing to grow their crowds and playing at a sub standard ground. Teams who qualify by their achievements on the field should be allowed to take their place in the League, no matter where they are based.

I actually posted on here (this thread or last weeks TWP match thread?) that TWP are only 1 benefactor's mood-swing move away from a Celtic Crusaders style meltdown.  So, i am fully aware of that.

I have not said anything about teams who qualify not being allowed to participate in the League.  You are correct - they should be (Assuming theymeet the criteria of course).  I simply hope the expansion teams beat them to it.  For me, that would be far better for the sport.  Plenty other RL fans feel exactly the same.

Edited by Celt

Just now, Celt said:

I actually posted on here (this thread or last weeks TWP match thread?) that TWP are only 1 benefactor's mood-swing move away from a Celtic Crusaders style meltdown.  So, i am fully aware of that.

I have not said anything about teams who qualify not being allowed to participate in the League.  You are correct - they should be (Assuming theymeet the criteria of course).  I simply hope the expansion teams beat them to it.  For me, that would be far better for the sport.  Plenty other RL fans feel exactly the same.

If they beat us on the field, that is fine by me. We would all like to know what this mysterious criteria is though, because I don't know anybody who knows what it is, and that includes fans of SL Clubs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If they beat us on the field, that is fine by me. We would all like to know what this mysterious criteria is though, because I don't know anybody who knows what it is, and that includes fans of SL Clubs.

Well it must be ground criteria because every time it's mentioned Cas un Wakey get there plans out - never hear anything otherwise - fact! 

Hope Toulouse win infront of a big crowd. The game would benefit far more in my opinion with Toulouse/Toronto in SL over any of the English Championship Clubs. Fev have a nice Ground and they boast a fine past and the area has produced many quality players over the  years. But we are in 2019 and need to look to the future.

Both Toronto and Toulouse offer the potential to grow the game and the Super League Brand to a new audience. They are both big cities that are home to some big international Businesses. IF the Clubs get it right then we could see both Clubs easily average 10K or more crowds in SL. The Toulouse/Southern France area has also produced some quality players and will continue to do so, much like the Featherstone/Pontefract area. Hopefully in time the Toronto area will do so as well. I just feel the game will benefit far more if Toronto and Toulouse are in SL than the likes of Featherstone, Leigh, Widnes, Halifax etc.

• Like 4

The two best teams should be in the final..and that's the way it will be...If Fev get by Toulouse then it will be as a result of hard work, if TOXIII win then the top two in the championship will be facing each other and that's the way it should be. Either way I will be at Lamport next saturday cheering like billio...Wolfpack all the way!

• Like 1

Just now, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Hope Toulouse win infront of a big crowd. The game would benefit far more in my opinion with Toulouse/Toronto in SL over any of the English Championship Clubs. Fev have a nice Ground and they boast a fine past and the area has produced many quality players over the  years. But we are in 2019 and need to look to the future.

Both Toronto and Toulouse offer the potential to grow the game and the Super League Brand to a new audience. They are both big cities that are home to some big international Businesses. IF the Clubs get it right then we could see both Clubs easily average 10K or more crowds in SL. The Toulouse/Southern France area has also produced some quality players and will continue to do so, much like the Featherstone/Pontefract area. Hopefully in time the Toronto area will do so as well. I just feel the game will benefit far more if Toronto and Toulouse are in SL than the likes of Featherstone, Leigh, Widnes, Halifax etc.

Maybe they will get crowds of 10k if they get in, but Toulouse only got just over a thousand against York a couple of weeks ago, so a lot of new fans would have to get interested in them quickly to achieve it.

1 minute ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Post Office Road is a nice ground compared to where Sheffield, Wakefield, Cas, Bradford, Oldham etc play

No please go on, I've been to my share of grounds and Post Office Road is at best an ecliptic mix of unmatching stands, with sheds for bars,one of which (the rovers Inn) that is literally a copyright lawsuit waiting to happen.

And don't get my wife started on the toilets....

I would not ever consider it "nice".

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Maybe they will get crowds of 10k if they get in, but Toulouse only got just over a thousand against York a couple of weeks ago, so a lot of new fans would have to get interested in them quickly to achieve it.

I aure that when playing in SL they will get much bigger crowds in time. But its more than just crowds. You look at some of the International Businesses involved https://www.to13.com/partenaires/

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Agree with all that.

Doesn't stop me dreaming though. We're 160 minutes away from the promised land.

Not sure I could be more excited.

Up the chuffing rovers😁

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

No please go on, I've been to my share of grounds and Post Office Road is at best an ecliptic mix of unmatching stands, with sheds for bars,one of which (the rovers Inn) that is literally a copyright lawsuit waiting to happen.

Fellow Fev fans: do we have a bar called the "Rovers inn""? Can't ever remember seeing one.

Can't speak for the ladies, but the bogs are ok for me. Public bogs are all vile, Fev's are by no means the worst in RL.

7 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Fellow Fev fans: do we have a bar called the "Rovers inn""? Can't ever remember seeing one.

Can't speak for the ladies, but the bogs are ok for me. Public bogs are all vile, Fev's are by no means the worst in RL.

oh i misspoke, its the Rovers Return (which is more so a bad idea).  

i took this photo at the TWP game there this year, inside the gate before sitting (my moms a big corrie fan)

2019-04-22.jpg

34 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Well compared to the concrete jungle that is the Laporte with it's Gazebo village it is.

4 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

I would not ever consider it "nice"

Careful now - don't say anything negative about Featherstone, the club, the dual reg players, the fans, or in this case the ground.

'One or two' of the locals simply can't handle it, and start getting incredibly.....errr... 'defensive'.

Edited by Celt
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

It is purposefully being kept obscure, it will be up to SL if they do not want any partucular club in their division, SL will have to come up with something that is unique to the newly 'promoted' club to deny them entry. 

SL could not possibly list a set of criteria that an incumbent member would fail to comply with, just imagine the lawsuits for say a restriction of trade or such if a club is denied entry to SL and a present club could also not abide by the same criteria.

But you know, I really think after all this time (July '18) since Leneghan spontaneously opened his gob at the intro press conference of Elstone saying that any promoted club "would have to meet certain conditions" it was just Leneghan saying something for the sake of saying it, unless I have missed it I have never seen or heard reference to it again, and if there is actually any one club that SL could really find something to refuse entry it would only be Toronto.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Well compared to the concrete jungle that is the Laporte with it's Gazebo village it is.

You been to Lamport?  It's actually not a bad stadium, with real amenities built in (the beer garden is an extra for match days.

Having been to both I think Lamport is nicer