Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

1 hour ago, POR said:

... and leave us small northern villages" well alone playing the game we love

Who is saying that you can't play and watch the game you love in the 'small northern villages'? 

You do realise that small town community clubs and big brand professional teams aren't mutually exclusive?

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They grow the pie (or have a good plan and guaranteed backing to do so in the future) is the only criteria i would have.

And I would have no upper limit on non uk sides. I would have a lower limit on the number we needed to have, around 9 or 10 would be ideal

What I asked you was not an excuse for you to use an empty, meaningless phrase, I was asking what constitutes a 'large city' team in your opinion, i.e do they have to be an actual city for example.

44 minutes ago, solly said:

Who is saying that you can't play and watch the game you love in the 'small northern villages'? 

You do realise that small town community clubs and big brand professional teams aren't mutually exclusive?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Like a championship and Super League?

but your both missing the point ottawa new york isn't about growing the game or getting bums on seats it's about people watching at home as one poster said more people would tune in to the grand final if it was liverpool v barcelona rather than saints and salford  and another said  he likes watching the greatest game in a warm place with a big glass of wine 

if that's what you want go for it  form a big city league despite what you think the game  will survive without toronto ottawa and new york

Imagine going on an NHL forum and reading this;

NHL is never going to be anything with teams in smaller markets like Edmonton, Calagary and Winnipeg, we need teams in massive cities across the world like Barcelona, Berlin and Sydney or the game will die. It’s easy, we just need a load of billionaires to throw money at it and the sponsors and fans will come in their droves, it will rival NFL in no time. Not sure where the players will come from but that doesn’t matter, and sod the fans in Canada who’ve been the game’s mainstay for 150 years, their teams can play eachother in a minor league. 

Does that sound ridiculous or not?

30 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm just asking if that's what you mean. A smaller heartland league and a Super League of big cities 

no i'm saying all  the  talk of  big city league and the reasons for having one is  hilarious  it  makes me laugh four years ago before toronto became the whim of an aussie billionaire there was no talk of a  big city league? 

lets say instead  mt argyle had put his money into hemel and they had  just beaten FEV in a grand final  and got into super league  and there's no toronto  would we still be talking about a big city league

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

NHL is never going to be anything with teams in smaller markets like Edmonton, Calagary and Winnipeg, we need teams in massive cities across the world like Barcelona, Berlin and Sydney or the game will die. It’s easy, we just need a load of billionaires to throw money at it and the sponsors and fans will come in their droves, it will rival NFL in no time. Not sure where the players will come from but that doesn’t matter, and sod the fans in Canada who’ve been the game’s mainstay for 150 years, their teams can play eachother in a minor league. 

Replace ‘NHL’ with ‘Canadian Football League’ and it sounds even more bonkers....

15 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah, the NHL would never target big cities where the game isnt traditionally played. That would be crazy

That's why they have stuck with areas where kids are pretty much born on the ice with a stick in their hands.

Like the Nevada desert

At the expense of the smaller Canadian cities?

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Like the Quebec Nordiques moving to Denver?

Did they? Well that is shameless but I suppose representative of the American franchise system, which really has no relevance to RL. NHL may have been a poor example, as someone pointed out CFL May have been better. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

NHL is never going to be anything with teams in smaller markets like Edmonton, Calagary and Winnipeg, we need teams in massive cities across the world like Barcelona, Berlin and Sydney or the game will die. It’s easy, we just need a load of billionaires to throw money at it and the sponsors and fans will come in their droves, it will rival NFL in no time. Not sure where the players will come from but that doesn’t matter, and sod the fans in Canada who’ve been the game’s mainstay for 150 years, their teams can play each other in a minor league.

Of course it sounds ridiculous, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are all good size cities, the first two both have more than a million inhabitants and Winnipeg almost 800,000.  They're all bigger than the biggest of the traditional RL towns.  As it happens, when Winnipeg did lose its first NHL franchise in 1996 the city got an AHL team and Winnipegers backed it strongly enough that it's still there today, eight years after the NHL's return to Winnipeg.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Replace ‘NHL’ with ‘Canadian Football League’ and it sounds even more bonkers....

No it doesn't, the CFL is a minor league already and has been for many years now.  The number of players in the CFL who wouldn't gladly move to the NFL if they were good enough is very small, if there even are any players like that at all.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah, the NHL would never target big cities where the game isnt traditionally played. That would be crazy

That's why they have stuck with areas where kids are pretty much born on the ice with a stick in their hands.

Like the Nevada desert

Does Ice Hockey have player pool issues ?

17 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No it doesn't, the CFL is a minor league already and has been for many years now.  The number of players in the CFL who wouldn't gladly move to the NFL if they were good enough is very small, if there even are any players like that at all.

I doubt there are many lower tier RL players who wouldn't move to SL to what would it be ? Double,triple ,quadruple their incomes , similarily any sport ?

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

You could say the same about RL. 

34 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What are you talking about? These are your examples. 

Neither the CFL and definitely not the NHL are leagues where they have stuck to small town teams 

In comparison the CFL has stuck to small towns, do you think the NFL, NBA or MLB would be looking to move a franchise into Hamilton or Regina? You seem to think RL should abandon its local area for global cities so why not CFL?

The average attendance is about the same as the Dutch football league in a country with twice the population and is sinking every year, hardly a major player. I think some billionaires should come in and move the BC Lions to Moscow and the Roughriders to Vienna - then they’d get massive global TV deals. 

OK so let's take a look at the crystal ball...say ParqueCiders dream comes true and SL doesn't want us in a few years..mebbe because we're pasting their little darlings a bit too regularly..and they are looking for a legal loophole to kick us out. OSEG have Ottawa going well in the Championship attracting Lamport size crowds every match..NYRL is doing decently at the top of L1 and other International cities are knocking on the door. MLSE by this time are very interested in the Wolfpack because they are outdrawing the Argos.

So both groups have a chat with David Argyle, Eric Perez and the Yanks and a new consortium is formed and they make a bid for EVERY SINGLE SL team with a view to putting the entire shebang back under the management of RFL. L1 remains totally amateur, Championship is a hybrid FT/PT and SL remains fully pro. RL now becomes THE code the world watches.  These guys have the money to do it........

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

In comparison to what? There are 9 cfl sides including 8 of the 10 biggest cities in canada. 

The other encompasses an entire province.

The CFL is based in the population centres of Canada. 

The CFL's problems are in the 3 biggest cities however.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

In comparison to what? There are 9 cfl sides including 8 of the 10 biggest cities in canada. 

The other encompasses an entire province.

The CFL is based in the population centres of Canada. 

Why do I need to spell it out. In comparison to other North American sports CFL is regional and has low attendances, much like RL is compared to some other UK sports (football and Union). Why don’t you apply the nonsense you’re spouting about RL to sort CFL out as you’d find it so easy?

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The problem is the SL wages for fringe players often arent double, triple or quadruple what part-time players can earn from their RL wages plus their full-time jobs. 

I wasn't suggesting just RL , it was a hypothetical scenario where players in any sport will move for more money , the clue was in the " similarily in any sport " bit 

Archived