Sign in to follow this  
Smudger06

Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Arent they moving in to Stade ernest Wallon on promotion? That's fantastic for SL. 

But as we saw with les Catalans, promotion is a catalyst to move forward very very quickly

I can't remember Catalans playing in, and getting promoted from the Championship.

• Like 1

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

When are the fixtures out for Mad Mac’s Made Up World League? I want to know when to book flights for Barca v LA. 

Fantasy Island would be an ideal venue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No, a club needs to have the inherent potential to grow, sponsors to be signed, fans to be attracted, plus the investment to make it possible. 

Correct.

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You're an Aussie ? , Of course , there's nothing I can tell you about anything , I should have known 

Digging holes is hard work. Or easy, depending on who has the shovel. 

Edited by solly

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Just my experience of life , the Aussie brain is I have found just superior in every way , they literally know everything about everything ?

Not the Aussie brains that I know. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I sincerely hope you are true and that fev can operate at a big club level.

But I dont think you believe that is possible any more than I do

Any club can operate at an higher level with investment. Success draws sponsors the fan base increases. Is not hard, it just needs investment..

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Unlikely in 15 years , to achieve anything like that would require very large investment right now 

You can bet Toronto Wolfpack won't be around in 15 years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Any club can operate at an higher level with investment. Success draws sponsors the fan base increases. Is not hard, it just needs investment..

It is hard, throwing money at something doesn’t guarantee fans. 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I hope they are 

Me as well and i hope they do well in SL its going to be a very interesting season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Scotchy does have a point , it has long been my argument that ' small town ' clubs like Leigh need to concentrate on building their fan bases if they ever want to get to and stay in the top tier , they will never draw the corporate support that big towns and city's get , they just don't have the businesses to get that support 

The theory is probably quite sound that a league of big cities would be more lucrative to a broadcaster than the current set-up.

Yet to see a good roadmap though for how you get from A to B starting with the reality of where the game is now.

Transplanting club x from town y to City z is a nonstarter.  

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Its how the money is thrown! Theres no owner making anything out of it. Investment comes from youth. Something that has been seriously neglected during the SL years. SL are the product but also the demise of the game. Stuff SKY and lets get going again.

• Like 2

Just now, Eddie said:

21 pages, this thread is classic. I hope some billionaires see it and decide to set up some clubs off the back of it. 

They will be queuing up!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Toulouse Olympique in a league with  nobody else in the same country average attendance 2488. Pathetic terrible. Rubbish

Featherstone rovers in a league where most clubs are within an hour or two average attendance 2235. Brilliant, shows the potential of the club.

But you said they were in another league compared to Fev.  They're not.  I've been there. Toulouse is a big city.  A big city devoted to its Union club.  There's a great bar there called The Melting Pot.  Full of Rugby memorabilia, Rugby Union memorabilia.  They made us welcome, but we were there out of the Union season.

Rugby League is a popular sport in France (south of Paris)  Rugby Union is a religion

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Toronto will be around along with Ottawa, NY, plus Montreal and Philadelphia. We'll be fine over here, we will do our best to raise their profile when we play them by encouraging large crowds, suggest you worry about your local clubs maybe by doing the same thing.

45 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Toronto will be around along with Ottawa, NY, plus Montreal and Philadelphia. We'll be fine over here, we will do our best to raise their profile when we play them by encouraging large crowds, suggest you worry about your local clubs maybe by doing the same thing.

You are speculating, not fact. Large crowds don't support what is actually needed. Thats called players! Do you have any?

4 hours ago, solly said:

Digging holes is hard work. Or easy, depending on who has the shovel. 

I have my PHD in (P)ost (H)ole (Digging) from the University of Hard Farm Knocks.  Mostly always did it by hand with a bar and pick and shovel...only job where you start at the top and work your way down.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I have my PHD in (P)ost (H)ole (Digging) from the University of Hard Farm Knocks.  Mostly always did it by hand with a bar and pick and shovel...only job where you start at the top and work your way down.

Not much use in -25 yet you all still seem to get work. You also have a year all round pitch.

Edited by SL17

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

Not much use in -25 yet you all still seem to get work.

There are several ways to work frozen ground...pour boiling water on it and then pick and shovel....then more boiling water and more pick and shovel....can also use a jack hammer...there are other ways.

First Law Of The Paddle:

"Where there is a will there is always a way."