What Do You Do With A Problem Like Hodgson?

Scubby

Shows how good Roby is. I think we'll look back on Roby as one of the best players of his generation. Unbelievable talent who has changed his game as he got older. He's a better player than Hodgson but of course Hodgson is a top level player in the best league in the sport. 

Its hard for a coach to not pick probably the best hooker in the NRL (after the Cameron Smith fawning is done). Its like asking Southgate to pick players from the Championship. They may well be good but its hard to justify.

FWIW I think someone needs to tell Hodgson to calm down and not try and do a miracle play every play. Good distribution then play when its on. He definitely seems to try too hard when playing for England

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

. I think we'll look back on Roby as one of the best players of his generation.

Don’t think we need hindsight . He just is even as he’s still playing . The guy is superhuman on the paddock 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Don’t think we need hindsight . He just is even as he’s still playing . The guy is superhuman on the paddock 

True. I sometimes feel he doesn't get the accolades he deserves even though he is well respected. Amazing player.

Makes me laugh that Saints put a statue of Cunningham up outside their stadium when he wasn't even the best hooker in his team.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It does not matter how superhuman he is in out of any paddock.  He is injured and propping his feet up on the sofa, watching (appropriately) Pointless.  Indeed its getting towards where we could put out a fairly useful side who are out injured (or recently retired). 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

He himself says otherwise nowadays. Whilst loving to represent his country he also felt that a rest wouldn't do him any harm this year so it may turn out well for him and possibly give him an extra season in SL. No matter how good the player is, they aren't machines that can run constantly.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

If there were quicker play the balls like in super league or the NRL Hodgson would come into his own. Plenty of GB hookers like Newton and Lowes have also been far less effective at international level than in the club game for the same reason. Our attack for the last 20 years relies on speed of the ruck which we won’t get with a one ref system and the international interpretation of wrestling. In that context I am not sure Clark will be any more effective. 

16 minutes ago, Mushy said:

If there were quicker play the balls like in super league or the NRL Hodgson would come into his own. Plenty of GB hookers like Newton and Lowes have also been far less effective at international level than in the club game for the same reason. Our attack for the last 20 years relies on speed of the ruck which we won’t get with a one ref system and the international interpretation of wrestling. In that context I am not sure Clark will be any more effective. 

In the GF the average ptb by Raiders was pretty much the same as GB's versus Tonga.

It was much slower against the Kiwis. I'd like to see Philbin retain his place as his ptb's were the fast kind of ptb's that would allow Clark to play against retreating defensive lines.

I said it after the first game, I think we need to focus on quicker ptb's rather than trying for penalties all the time.

57 minutes ago, Mushy said:

We have seen Clarke at international level and he has been far more effective than Hodgson.

1 hour ago, Mushy said:

This is disproved by the evidence. Hodgson was slow with his distribution.

Clark comes on and we start to speed up and get some go forward. 

Drop Hodgson.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

34 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

This is disproved by the evidence. Hodgson was slow with his distribution.

Clark comes on and we start to speed up and get some go forward. 

Drop Hodgson.

I agree with this.  There are two parts to slow ball from the ruck.  A slow play the ball and slow distribution.  At least with Clark on we mitigated one of the those and we looked quicker and more dangerous as a team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hodgson needs to have it drilled out of him to not keep taking several steps before passing. Compare that with Clark making flat passes off the ground to the player hitting the advantage line and making more ground as a result. It won't make as much difference though because as Hodgson is the only English hooker to play in the NRL then under Bennett he will start no matter what.

Archived