The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

“It’s disappointing because they’ve come into Super League and all they have done since coming into the competition is moan.

“Don’t pay £3m to one player and then complain that you haven’t got enough players or enough money. It’s ludicrous, really ludicrous.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/adam-pearson-slams-toronto-wolfpack-3771908

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

“It’s disappointing because they’ve come into Super League and all they have done since coming into the competition is moan.

“Don’t pay £3m to one player and then complain that you haven’t got enough players or enough money. It’s ludicrous, really ludicrous.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/adam-pearson-slams-toronto-wolfpack-3771908

They want to spend more on players, and they didn't get central funding.  Same team that's worried about heading to Lamport.  

Take away 1.8m from his team and see if they still wanna buy players!

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

They want to spend more on players, and they didn't get central funding.  Same team that's worried about heading to Lamport.  

Take away 1.8m from his team and see if they still wanna buy players!

Presumably that’s what Pearson meant when he said “the club have had this deal for three years. Don’t say you inherited it when you negotiated it. You’ve got this deal, get on with it.” ?

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Beggars can’t be choosers...

Pearson is one of the chief whingers and I've found him utterly uninspiring everytime I've heard him speak - he was chairman of my football team for a while and that was the same.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Pearson is one of the chief whingers and I've found him utterly uninspiring everytime I've heard him speak - he was chairman of my football team for a while and that was the same.

That may well be true.

However, if a self-styled ‘rugby disrupter’ can’t actually disrupt without the permission of other rugby clubs then they haven’t thought it through. 

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Presumably that’s what Pearson meant when he said “the club have had this deal for three years. Don’t say you inherited it when you negotiated it. You’ve got this deal, get on with it.” ?

When they first enquired they were told they would be entitled to central funding which was pulled before joining and new investors were found.

When they joined the structure they were told that was until SL

Now they are in SL and no funding.  While still paying the flights and accommodation for professional teams, which Hull FC has criticized for time frame and quality.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That may well be true.

However, if a self-styled ‘rugby disrupter’ can’t actually disrupt without the permission of other rugby clubs then they haven’t thought it through. 

They're clearly getting noticed and for the first time all the clubs, top and bottom, are taking an interest. My thought is that this is because they all know TWP won't be another one of those promoted to go straight back down again sides. Within 3 years they have the real potential to be challenging for a SL title which is shaking up the cabal we've currently had for a while. They're also not afraid to call out problems they perceive which many of the current chairmen and clubs have a vested interest in.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They're also not afraid to call out problems they perceive which many of the current chairmen and clubs have a vested interest in.

Toronto are speaking out of self-interest too, let’s get that right.

I’m really not sure Toronto’s Us vs Them strategy is wise given the other clubs hold the cards.

Rugby league must be absolutely booming in the UK, with new players and money coming out if its ears.

Otherwise most of these complaints are flamboyantly stupid.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

39 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

Forgive me, but did the RFL/SL invite Toronto to join the party, or did Toronto ASK TO JOIN?

Toronto are the new kids here and have little if any right to dictate terms. They have a poor squad. If they were facing the list of injuries that Wakefield are currently enduring, then they'd be banjaxed before the season even starts. As it is, Wakefield are looking to recruit to get them back to full fit numbers, something Toronto cannot do because they've overpaid their current squad.....

The claims by Mac that "they should get more to spend because it's further away" are inane. Toronto ASKED TO JOIN. Toronto KNEW THE RULES. Toronto need to suck it up and knuckle down rather than making excuses already.

Good!

Rugby league must be absolutely booming in the UK, with new players and money coming out if its ears.

Anyone who says otherwise is pretty much calling NOS4A2 an idiot.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Do Hull not have marquee players? If they do it's a daft argument because in cap terms sbw costs no more.

Just now, NOS4A2 said:

Well Bob8 buddy, if you think a rich Australian paying 23 players £2,300,000 to play out of a foreign city, players who would otherwise be at other SL, NRL or NSW/QLND cup sides, without any attempts to eve start developing youth training schemes is going to rescue UK Rugby League you might want to have a rethink.

Toronto may well be able to buy a side full of Thurston's, but at present, they are no permitted to. A, because there are rules abut how many overseas players are allowed and B, because there is a salary cap in place. Both the rules on players and cap were there when they asked to join....so for them to realise they're short handed is crass mismanagement at best....one might say, idiotic!

Absolutely, my intellectual friend!

We have major clubs with huge crowds desperate to join our league!

Don't we!

5 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

The issue isn't the £300,000 on the 2 Marquee players. The issue is the other £2,000,000 on 21 journeymen who are maybe worth £1,000,000. The lack of space on the cap isn't anyone else's fault other than Toronto

Well that is the issue that was highlighted and that was the issue that I replied to.

On 23/01/2020 at 22:59, NOS4A2 said:

They are not a MAJOR club. They are a rich blokes project. They do not have HUGE crowds either. They have good crowds. They will maybe one day have good crowds that pay to attend, but at the moment, they rely on freebies to a beer festival.

Speaking of the beer festival. Given this is a MAJOR part of the match day experience, I wonder how the Phenom with morals who won't wear the comp sponsors logo sits with the beer being the #1 attraction at games?

By the way. I am not calling or inferring you or anyone else is stupid for disagreeing with me. You are the one doing that.

Quite, we have lots of major clubs with huge crowds desperate to join our league. Ones with hardened rugby league fans. Proper ones, not ones who only turn up because they enjoy it. So we don't need them.

Glad you are a smarty cookie, or I would think you misunderstood.

6 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

They are not a MAJOR club. They are a rich blokes project. They do not have HUGE crowds either. They have good crowds. They will maybe one day have good crowds that pay to attend, but at the moment, they rely on freebies to a beer festival.

Speaking of the beer festival. Given this is a MAJOR part of the match day experience, I wonder how the Phenom with morals who won't wear the comp sponsors logo sits with the beer being the #1 attraction at games?

By the way. I am not calling or inferring you or anyone else is stupid for disagreeing with me. You are the one doing that.

Here we go again.

4 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

I also would ask how that 'alcohol' promoting element of their business fits with a Muslim owning shares in the company?

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Interesting to see how many games he plays.  He is definitely missing the Wigan game. 

It's called 'load management'. McD wants SBW in peak form at the end of the season so will work him in slowly.

Toronto Raptors did it last year with Kawhi Leonard. He only played 60 regular season games but played like an MVP in the playoffs to lead them to the NBA title.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do Hull not have marquee players? If they do it's a daft argument because in cap terms sbw costs no more.

Yup, with that comment and the comment about TWP bringing fans to Hull he showed himself up. The comments about the TV rights are interesting though.

2 hours ago, NOS4A2 said:

I'd buy that if it were available. That is actually very smart. How much (and I am being genuine here K-Man) would that retail for? A smaller one (beer mat size) with an adhesive side would make a great bumper sticker!

Its painted black now and boy does it look sharp....how much would you pay?...its gauge steel (# in the picture)?

Just now, NOS4A2 said:

Sorry. I posted a balanced "opus" earlier which you derided by using the confused emoje, rather than debate to issues I raised. Now you resort to "sarcasm" rather than debate.

I countered the claim that Toronto were a Major Club with Huge Crowds. They are not a Major Club. They are a wealthy mans toy. They do not have HUGE crowds, They average just below 7k last year which is excellent. Let's see what happens once they close the open door policy and people have to pay to get in.

Then there's the issue of SBW not wearing the Comp Sponsors Logo, but being a part owner in an organisation that makes money from the sale of alcohol. I've just checked. This thread is designed to discuss Toronto....it is not a "everything has to be a positive" thread, but a discussion thread.

Here we go again infers that you've had this conversation before? If so, why not counter with a balanced argument. How are they a MAJOR  club? Is, 7k a HUGE crowd? Is SBW guilty of double standards?

Well, that is not true. I know it is not because it is on this thread.

You claimed they were not a major club, but you "countered" that rather than address the point that had actually been made. Which was a reference to all the other major clubs that were deperate to come in to Super League. Big huge clubs with big investment.

Go on, name them!

That will explain why we should definately tell Toronto to sling their hook.

TWP might fail, they might well pull out as the deal is not worth it. But, clearly, we are not in a position to be fussy or stupid.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its scraping the barrell to use the personal religious views of a Muslim player to have a dig at Toronto. Views that he has already expressed in the past at his previous club.

Don't worry only 10 more posts and its CCF time!

Archived