The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Shaw has always been a cheerleader for Toronto. Phil Caplan is also one-eyed on Toronto. This week he said the takeover doesn't need due diligence because a quick Google seems to prove LiVolsi is rich and therefore trustworthy 🤦‍♂️    

You mean 'Cyclops' Caplan, I have been to a couple of evenings he has chaired or been a member of the panel, and when the Q&A's are requested he either turns everthing in the direction of Headingley or avoids straight answers.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are you seriously suggesting weak clubs don't face threat? Look how many have been relegated (survival of the fittest), with a fair few ousted by choice. 

I'm suggesting heartlands clubs have in virtually every scenario (bar 2 I can think of: London at the start of SL and Catalans getting exemption) been better supported centrally than non-heartland sides and thats often to the detriment of other heartlands sides too like Leigh.

Bear in mind Dave we're not talking just about relegation from Super League but worthiness in the rugby league full stop.

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Shaw has always been a cheerleader for Toronto. Phil Caplan is also one-eyed on Toronto. This week he said the takeover doesn't need due diligence because a quick Google seems to prove LiVolsi is rich and therefore trustworthy 🤦‍♂️    

Tbf in the world of RL to be a Toronto cheerleader is to say "I like the club, they do a lot well and there's a good opportunity". Its hardly a high bar.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wigan and Hull will be better off maybe as they are in rented accommodation, who know's with Leeds, Saints and Warrington they are losing money all the time with their stadia not earning, Leigh may have to step in to plug the gap this side of the Pennines😏.

Funnily enough I had not considered this previously, but the latter 3 are where the SL fixtures have been played, do they get recompensed for it I wonder? It has puzzled me why the LSV has not been utilised, it has a playing surface to match anything in the country and I think 12 changing rooms on the complex, perhaps the other tenant being Manchester United - it is the home venue of MU Ladies and a number of U'23's fixtures - perhap's they have made it worthwhile for the LSV company to turn away any offers.

Just a thought. 

Where's Gubrats or LeytherMatt they may know the answer. 

Hull are a question mark I agree, hence "maybe", but the other 4 are self evidently the basis of top flight RL in this country. They're significantly bigger and more successful than every other club in the league (Leeds are about to enter their 18th Challenge cup semi final in 25 years for example). Its a shame we lost Bradford from that list but perhaps they're reflective of a more general malaise.

I put before on another thread I'm pretty sure the venues have been chosen because these are RL controlled stadiums that were happy having 5(originally 6) matches across a weekend. The only other one we've seen is Huddersfield and that was only originally for a double header. In terms of Covid security it must be more helpful to have everything contained in house.

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Clown is harsh but I agree that Shaw personifies the thinking that anyone who questions Toronto is automatically some sort of small-minded idiot whose never been abroad other than Benidorm.

Benidorm worth a visit would you say MoK?

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Hull are a question mark I agree, hence "maybe", but the other 4 are self evidently the basis of top flight RL in this country. They're significantly bigger and more successful than every other club in the league (Leeds are about to enter their 18th Challenge cup semi final in 25 years for example). Its a shame we lost Bradford from that list but perhaps they're reflective of a more general malaise.

I put before on another thread I'm pretty sure the venues have been chosen because these are RL controlled stadiums that were happy having 5(originally 6) matches across a weekend. The only other one we've seen is Huddersfield and that was only originally for a double header. In terms of Covid security it must be more helpful to have everything contained in house.

Salford also in last week's Challenge Cup

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm suggesting heartlands clubs have in virtually every scenario (bar 2 I can think of: London at the start of SL and Catalans getting exemption) been better supported centrally than non-heartland sides and thats often to the detriment of other heartlands sides too like Leigh.

Bear in mind Dave we're not talking just about relegation from Super League but worthiness in the rugby league full stop.

OK, to be fair, we are probably discussing technicalities as tbh I don't really think we disagree on the overall principles of expansion, support for these areas etc. I just get frustrated by some of the presentation of the arguments. 

Hopefully the game will get a positive outcome this week and we can move on from this soap opera and get back to this season and planning for next year. 

Because personally, I'm enjoying the season! 

So, in theory, by Friday night, TWP will be dead, this thread will have no reason to exist and will die, and everyone can go back to discussing the games and insulting each other's hometowns.

Sounds boring.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

OK, to be fair, we are probably discussing technicalities as tbh I don't really think we disagree on the overall principles of expansion, support for these areas etc. I just get frustrated by some of the presentation of the arguments. 

Hopefully the game will get a positive outcome this week and we can move on from this soap opera and get back to this season and planning for next year. 

It could be your year! 😉

5 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

So, in theory, by Friday night, TWP will be dead, this thread will have no reason to exist and will die, and everyone can go back to discussing the games and insulting each other's hometowns.

Sounds boring.

Dunno what I'll do with myself, probably write this dissertation due Monday lol

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep Wire fans always seem to get excited at this time of year. It's normally mid-October when reality starts to kick in! 😄 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I did say maybe Hull FC

No I think your example of them was spot on but their owner doesn't agree with us.

Maybe the cost of their squad has something to do with that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Sounds boring.

There's always the thread on the Canadian club based in Hemel/Widnes to go to😱

Or you could watch some top quality RL on TV.

21 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

There's always the thread on the Canadian club based in Hemel/Widnes to go to😱

Or you could watch some top quality RL on TV.

I wish. SL - and NRL - are only available over here as part of an overpriced Rogers Sportsnet channel. And it isn't available at all in my cable package.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

So, in theory, by Friday night, TWP will be dead,.........

Or maybe not. 

Phil Chaplin suggests that it could be the RFL who will decide if Toronto are allowed in, not the Super league clubs.

And since the RFL are said to favour  Toronto being readmitted..........

I hour 7mins, 30 secs in ;

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2ZvcnR5MjBybC9mZWVkLnhtbA/episode/Zm9ydHkyMHJsLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2RhZTg5ZjkxLWZiNWUtM2YwZC1hYTM1LTc3MzJlZWJiODBhOQ?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjt2NuBjoDsAhXGh1wKHQPPBiAQieUEegQIDRAF&ep=6

2 minutes ago, Yosser said:

Or maybe not. 

Phil Chaplin suggests that it could be the RFL who will decide if Toronto are allowed in, not the Super league clubs.

And since the RFL are said to favour  Toronto being readmitted..........

I hour 7mins, 30 secs in ;

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2ZvcnR5MjBybC9mZWVkLnhtbA/episode/Zm9ydHkyMHJsLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2RhZTg5ZjkxLWZiNWUtM2YwZC1hYTM1LTc3MzJlZWJiODBhOQ?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjt2NuBjoDsAhXGh1wKHQPPBiAQieUEegQIDRAF&ep=6

The chubby fingers of Nigel are still in the pie.

Archived