The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If its a moral choice its somewhat irrelevant, its the choice facing them. No rational person would buy a business with lots of debts that would then be effectively barred from its marketplace. That's reality.

The Super League funding will either go to Toronto or the other clubs. There may be some hardship style fund but realistically no Super league club is going to sanction half a squad of players been paid but not playing. If that's your plan you may as well have them in Toronto kits adding to the fixtures available to be televised.

Within 3 years of Toronto's existence we've got Ottawa, its not unfeasible for others to appear in a similar vein. If we're having 2 Canadian clubs it makes us at least as committed to Canada as we are to France currently. You and I both know how the most money can be made from TV deals in both those places, but I'm the only one of us two willing to compromise to get that.

Unfortunately the moral stuff has to be pushed to one side, this is business, SL are not liable for paying wages for players' wages from their employer, and this guy is not liable to pay wages for people he does not employ yet. 

The best we can hope for is a credible plan that works for everyone including the players, but due diligence has to prove this guy can afford it, otherwise we just risk the same situation in a year or two. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dave T said:

Unfortunately the moral stuff has to be pushed to one side, this is business, SL are not liable for paying wages for players' wages from their employer, and this guy is not liable to pay wages for people he does not employ yet. 

The best we can hope for is a credible plan that works for everyone including the players, but due diligence has to prove this guu can afford it, otherwise we just risk the same situation in a year or two. 

100% agree with that mate. 

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

(1) If its a moral choice its somewhat irrelevant, its the choice facing them. No rational person would buy a business with lots of debts that would then be effectively barred from its marketplace. That's reality.

(2) The Super League funding will either go to Toronto or the other clubs. There may be some hardship style fund but realistically no Super league club is going to sanction half a squad of players been paid but not playing. If that's your plan you may as well have them in Toronto kits adding to the fixtures available to be televised.

(3) Within 3 years of Toronto's existence we've got Ottawa, its not unfeasible for others to appear in a similar vein. If we're having 2 Canadian clubs it makes us at least as committed to Canada as we are to France currently. You and I both know how the most money can be made from TV deals in both those places, but I'm the only one of us two willing to compromise to get that.

1. Off course I know that, I have both bought and sold a business.

2. The correct option is to just run with 11 clubs next season, would any rational person sign up to admit Toronto and share whatever funding they receive from any number of televised games that may or may not be played cuertosy of Covid.

3. If you have read anything that I have said previously re Ottawa's or any other NA clubs inclusion into our League system I have maintained and never varied that it is far to soon, I have maintained all along that Toronto is a prototype and work in progress and should be monitered, scrutinised, evalued, even examined with a magnifying glass, no company in their right mind goes into full production until the prototype is proven. I did say 7 years of evaluating TWP should be the minimum time frame, to which even from over 3,000 miles away I heard Kayakman cough and splutter as he was getting stuck into his Beaver Muffin when he read that!

Funny how you know about the TV deals, but we have had people on here one Canadian and one who had some connection to the FFR both who consider that TV deals for Rugby League in their respective countries are unlikely to happen.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. Off course I know that, I have both bought and sold a business.

2. The correct option is to just run with 11 clubs next season, would any rational person sign up to admit Toronto and share whatever funding they receive from any number of televised games that may or may not be played cuertosy of Covid.

3. If you have read anything that I have said previously re Ottawa's or any other NA clubs inclusion into our League system I have maintained and never varied that it is far to soon, I have maintained all along that Toronto is a prototype and work in progress and should be monitered, scrutinised, evalued, even examined with a magnifying glass, no company in their right mind goes into full production until the prototype is proven. I did say 7 years of evaluating TWP should be the minimum time frame, to which even from over 3,000 miles away I heard Kayakman cough and splutter as he was getting stuck into his Beaver Muffin when he read that!

Funny how you know about the TV deals, but we have had people on here one Canadian and one who had some connection to the FFR both who consider that TV deals for Rugby League in their respective countries are unlikely to happen.

If they let you post views like that then Toronto should be allowed in SL in 2021 😉

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The best we can hope for is a credible plan that works for everyone including the players, but due diligence has to prove this guy can afford it, otherwise we just risk the same situation in a year or two. 

Rugby League is littered with start up clubs and owners taken on face value only to watch them fail, Argyle is just another statistic on that list no matter what his wealth is, LiVolsi has apparently produced an 80 page document of his intentions, is that enough? 

Beaver Tails, Harry. No such thing as a Beaver Muffin.

Beaver Tails are more of an Ottawa speciality. Would make a great name for a rugby team.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, thats not much fun😉

I have no idea how a beaver's digestive system works, but that does create a mental image of what a Beaver Muffin might be (think cow patty) and that's a real appetite killer.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The correct option is to just run with 11 clubs next season

This comment belies it all H. That is surely a worst case scenario that sees half a squad unemployed and a club no longer in existence.

Your option is based on not wanting Toronto in the league covid or not. That's fine, but its far easier debating when we're all clear about that.

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

An owner has the responsibilities of an owner...a prospective owner has the responsibilities of a respective owner...this is not to hard to figure.

Depends what the prospective owner buys. If they buy the company they take on the assets AND the liabilities... this is not to (sic) hard to figure.😍

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is a reasonable position....

13 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I don’t see any anti Wolfpack attacks. Only concern to keep your club going.

Take that as you wish.

Don't worry about us...we are going to be fine...it will all work out in the end.   Thanks for your concern though but we know exactly what we are doing and its all being taken care of.  We want to get those players paid ASAP and begin rebuilding for next season.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s all in the name of branding. There’s no assets so what’s he paying for it? 

Would you not invest $1 if the possible payback would be $1000 dollars in a couple of years?  He is buying the potential for TWP to go big in NA and it most certainly will if these current impediments are overcome.  The potential for growth is real as any cost/benefit analysis would certainly show.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

I have enough worrying about my own club as all do.Tell us how those players have been surviving without wages?

Have the RFL assisted in any way?

This has not fully played itself out in any way...many clubs will be feeling the pinch and I sure hope that they all survive...these are trying times.  The players are surviving the best they can, as are many folks during the pandemic, it could get a lot worse before it gets better but here is hoping for the latter rather than the former.  I'm sure that the RFL and SL are doing the best they can for the players with the tools that they have. 

There could be a reckoning.

10 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Irrespective of the decision to re-admit TWP or not I will still offer my unconditional support to the game of RL and to my club Cas Tigers.

`Unconditional` that`s a big call mate. You mean there is nothing that would put you off the game of Rugby League.

I think A.T. you are a walking advertisement for getting kids to the game when they are little. You`ve still got those stars in your eyes from standing in the stands with your old man.😉🙂.

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I invest in shares in the company I work for. Which guarantees whatever you put in you get back.

I'm sorry to tell you that the shares can go down and be worth less than the initial cost.  If you were given the shares as part of a 'package' for free then that is another matter.  If you were in management and put in nothing then you could indeed get back nothing and break even.  If only the hard working fellow on the factory floor could be included that would be nice but alas it rarely happens (sometimes though with honest companies/organizations).

47 minutes ago, SL17 said:

29,000 employees were given free shares. Self investment is always guaranteed to same back as you put in. 

I don’t eat Pink salmon only Red.

Sounds like a good deal and good on ya.

Now the salmon is different...it sounds like you are probably eating canned salmon.  If it comes from a fish farm I do not eat it period (fresh or canned)...when you say red you probably mean sockeye which is better from the can than pink no doubt.

Fresh salmon caught by yourself is best.  Those little pinks are good to snag on a cheater line..I just gut'em and put them on the grill...tasty.  I've caught and eaten all the salmon types...wild Atlantic salmon is the best tasting, especially on the grill (far better than sockeye) but a coho is nice too.  I've had King salmon and had all types served in many ways....chinook is probably the best all around but wild Atlantic grilled is my favourite.  I haven't caught a big one in a while though.

A friend I work with caught a good one a few days ago in the river by my place and I gave him a recipe to chunk it (large) and do it down in Mason Jars (better than cans).  We will be eating on it soon.

Try to stay away from farmed salmon...its ######.

Archived