The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.totalrl.com/wolfpack-face-crucial-week/

Toronto Wolfpack will submit their revised application to Super League on Friday as the club prepares to learn its fate in the next fortnight.

After being given a four-week extension to work on their submission, the Wolfpack will lodge their application on Friday.

Prospective owner Carlo LiVolsi has had more input into the latest bid, which has been focused on financial forecasts and Covid contingency plans at the request of Super League.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Funny how people here were doing just that back when he was playing... poorly.

I fully understand it would take him to adjust back to RL from RU but he should have been more prepared. Your highest paid player should also be your best player. SBW was the former but definitely not the latter - and as a TWP supporter I certainly wanted him to be.

How can you prepare to play rugby league whilst still playing top class rugby union.

At any other club your best paid player is usually the one who is and has been playing at a high level,not one who is 35 and hasn’t played the sport for 5yrs.

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

How can you prepare to play rugby league whilst still playing top class rugby union.

At any other club your best paid player is usually the one who is and has been playing at a high level,not one who is 35 and hasn’t played the sport for 5yrs.

You bust your butt to ensure that you're ready.

IIRC, many here were laughing at him, saying he was out of shape and making basic ball-handling mistakes that a veteran of either code shouldn't have been making.

7 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

IIRC, many here were laughing at him, saying he was out of shape and making basic ball-handling mistakes that a veteran of either code shouldn't have been making.

He was playing centre in Union,which does not prepare you physically to play as a backrower in league.

The only thing he was guilty of I when turning out for TWP was trying too hard to lift an average side.

29 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

There is no substitute for match fitness and being ready to play to a high intensity. 

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He was playing centre in Union,which does not prepare you physically to play as a backrower in league.

The only thing he was guilty of I when turning out for TWP was trying too hard to lift an average side.

With his past accomplishments I think it is unsound to question if he has the credentials in League...it is 'self evident'.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Fair point.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

So now the Twit is mocking SBW - you must have been some player lad.

Once all this is over and Toronto gets to finally play in Toronto again....once all the yapping and infighting is finished...once all the shenanigans finally end.....

I will attend the first home game with my family and all of the Wolfpack Nation will pick up where we left off with a big crowd at Lamport and the magic will be back!

This Covid thing really sucks.

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

In fairness, he has hardly played that much rugby union in the last few years due to injury, it was a huge risk on TWP's part.

4 hours ago, Newguy said:

In fairness, he has hardly played that much rugby union in the last few years due to injury, it was a huge risk on TWP's part.

He was playing for the All Blacks in the World Cup a couple of weeks before he signed for Toronto 

6 hours ago, Quolls2020 said:

Not exciting, but at least it is recent.

Toronto rugby team including wearable tracking in re-opening plans

https://canoe.com/news/local-news/toronto-rugby-team-including-wearable-tracking-in-re-opening-plans

Just another example of the Wolfpack being on the leading edge of sports technology...SL has alot to learn and emulate from the Wolfpack.

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Unless I'm mistaken back in the day when Union converts played RL in some numbers the high profile converts were among the best paid players at their clubs from day 1.  Maybe someone like Grubrats would know more about that though.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Unless I'm mistaken back in the day when Union converts played RL in some numbers the high profile converts were among the best paid players at their clubs from day 1.  Maybe someone like @Grubrats would know more about that though.

In completely different times in order to attract them to the sport and give up their supposed amateur status. It was also a bone of contention for many years with famous players like Alex Murphy speaking out against it. It also needs to be remembered that it was not a competitive market like now. RL players were stuck in Rugby League and couldn't go to Union and pre Bosman were tied to their clubs even when out of contract. Clubs could get away with treating RL players poorly and paying them less.

20 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just another example of the Wolfpack being on the leading edge of sports technology...SL has alot to learn and emulate from the Wolfpack.

🤣 You do know this article was from a month before TWP led the way and walked out of SL?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

🤣 You do know this article was from a month before TWP led the way and walked out of SL?

Nobody walked anywhere...we were chopped down and cut off at the knees (from behind nonetheless)....get us back in there, we are ready to go!  Let us at 'em!~

48 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Unless I'm mistaken back in the day when Union converts played RL in some numbers the high profile converts were among the best paid players at their clubs from day 1.  Maybe someone like Grubrats would know more about that though.

Back in them days we had a large proportion of players who were not full time pro’s

38 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Nobody walked anywhere...we were chopped down and cut off at the knees (from behind nonetheless)....get us back in there, we are ready to go!  Let us at 'em!~

Yes all those many unpaid bills and the like,but let’s blame COVID eh?

I can’t be ar5ed to trawl back through the last 25 pages of people saying the same things and nobody changing their polarised opinion, so apologies if it’s been said before but does anyone know when SL are due to revisit and make a decision on this? 

Archived