coronavirus

Italy are upping their response -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Italy are upping their response -

It’s very sobering. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

To put the above in context. Italy has currently 567 people in intensive care with this illness.

On 1st March (last day I have stats for), there were 3636 intensive care beds in England with 2888 used for the full day. Realistically you can round that to around 3000 to count for the people discharged and others taking those beds. That leaves 600-750 beds free for the country. Effectively, if we see the same patterns as Italy, we’ll run out of critical care beds at around 6000 active (not closed) cases. 

On normal hospital beds, on 1 March England had 91,780 beds full out of 98,878, a free capacity of 7000, but that doesn’t account for discharge and admission issues that reduce used numbers.

At 5061 active cases, Italy had 3218 in hospital, that effectively means we run out of normal beds at 11,000 active cases. 

That does not account for the complexities of having to isolate wards for either category. It’s unbelievably difficult to partition an intensive care ward, standard are easier as you can just close the entire thing. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And THAT is why delaying spread is so important. Stretch it out so that it doesn’t overwhelm that small capacity. Point fingers later. 

8 hours ago, ckn said:

You won’t be saying that in the dark post-toilet roll days to come. You’ll be pleading for soft after a year or two of emergency Izal.

In Australia it’s resulted in the elderly, disabled and others with mobility issues going without toilet paper.

People are going bonkers and some have been in line for 2 hours to buy toilet paper.

Long life milk is also sold out. Fortunately I drink soy milk and that’s barely been touched! ?

Some of the recent cases in Australia are from people who have flown:

Cuba - London - Perth

London - Singapore - Sydney (I think they landed in Sydney)

San-Francisco - Melbourne 

It’s everywhere now, it just hasn’t been detected.

Milan is apparently in lock down and yet I’m looking at an airport departure board with an entirely unaffected Milan flight and no announcements or notices at all about the situation there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Milan is apparently in lock down and yet I’m looking at an airport departure board with an entirely unaffected Milan flight and no announcements or notices at all about the situation there.

Easyjet are quoted by Simon Calder as still flying to 2 Milan airports as well as Venice as normal

15 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Easyjet are quoted by Simon Calder as still flying to 2 Milan airports as well as Venice as normal

The two EasyJet Milan airports are a dirt-track outside of Munich and a disused military base near Rome. ? 

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Official government advice is quite clear on it, don’t go. All travel insurances will be void if you fly there now. 

59 minutes ago, Copa said:

In Australia it’s resulted in the elderly, disabled and others with mobility issues going without toilet paper.

People are going bonkers and some have been in line for 2 hours to buy toilet paper.

Long life milk is also sold out. Fortunately I drink soy milk and that’s barely been touched! ?

This is the thing. It is not panic buying, it is utterly rational. Toilet paper is important and can be stored. Any change in demand will lead to shortages. The problem is selfishness and the prisoner's dilemma.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

This is the thing. It is not panic buying, it is utterly rational. Toilet paper is important and can be stored. Any change in demand will lead to shortages. The problem is selfishness and the prisoner's dilemma.

We did a quick think about what we’d need if we got a 2 week quarantine at home, and couldn’t rely on a delivery of shopping. We’ve enough in the fridge, cupboard & freezer that we’d be ok, albeit we’d be sick of pasta by the end of the time. Bog roll, we’re fine, and if it really comes to it then the shower is right there to use. 

The wife got a pack of vegan bacon last shop, I’d almost literally have to empty the cupboards before I have that. 

34 minutes ago, ckn said:

Official government advice is quite clear on it, don’t go. All travel insurances will be void if you fly there now. 

You honestly wouldn’t have a clue about that if you’d checked in at the normal time and then followed airport instructions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, ckn said:

We did a quick think about what we’d need if we got a 2 week quarantine at home, and couldn’t rely on a delivery of shopping. We’ve enough in the fridge, cupboard & freezer that we’d be ok, albeit we’d be sick of pasta by the end of the time. Bog roll, we’re fine, and if it really comes to it then the shower is right there to use. 

The wife got a pack of vegan bacon last shop, I’d almost literally have to empty the cupboards before I have that. 

I would very much advise eating the cupboard first.

I hate to recommend divorce, but it would be good for your marriage to make it clear it came close.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I would very much advise eating the cupboard first.

I hate to recommend divorce, but it would be good for your marriage to make it clear it came close.

Bit of brown sauce and wooden doors would be fine, my appendix needs the work anyway, sounds more appetising than facon.

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Bit of brown sauce and wooden doors would be fine, my appendix needs the work anyway, sounds more appetising than facon.

That’s your army training kicking in.

brown sauce every time, none of that ketchup muck.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You honestly wouldn’t have a clue about that if you’d checked in at the normal time and then followed airport instructions.

Airlines and airports will do everything possible to get bums on seats right now, even if it's ethically obnoxious. Not many have the cash reserves to handle a tough year caused by low passenger numbers.

The shameful thing is that the FCO advice on Italy was updated today yet does not include the latest Italy situation where if you go then you're not getting out again from the newly enlarged quarantine area.

On the above, the FCO country specific web pages are what the insurers will use to decline claims. If you refused to fly today because you'd be flying into a quarantine zone then the insurers would be within their rights to decline to pay out.

If you're going anywhere then set up a FCO subscription (just needs an email address) and they'll send you an immediate email if the advice changes. e.g. for Italy, go here then click the "Get Email Alerts" button. You could even use an RSS feed if you still use them.

3 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

BUT is it clear enough to get a travel insurance cancellation payout if you dont go

Only when they update that bloody webpage to match the stuff said elsewhere!

33 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

well stocked up on toilet paper here- last weeks daily mail all saved up

Joking aside I’m sure an Aussie paper released one edition with 8 blank pages to help with the shortage ?

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Hope you did the puzzles first.

Brings a whole new meaning to connect the dots...

I actually meet many of the symptoms... dry slightly sore throat, mild headache, slightly labour breathing...

Though I haven't had a fever and haven't traveled from a specified country or had a known contact... 

I'm thinking man flu!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

45 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I actually meet many of the symptoms... dry slightly sore throat, mild headache, slightly labour breathing...

Though I haven't had a fever and haven't traveled from a specified country or had a known contact... 

I'm thinking man flu!

Better safe than sorry I'd say

Archived