It is nice to see that there are few people who do not believe in Covid being a real thing. This is despite it being new and people not understanding the biology, in contrast to climate change. It does show the power anti-science propaganda can have if implemented.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Getting real in Denmark.

This weekend's handball is behind closed doors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

The paper goes on to note:

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

Four legs good - two legs bad

Just now, JohnM said:

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The movies got it wrong, Mad Max didn’t start due to a nuclear war, the great Australian Toilet Roll Wars is 2020 are all we need. 

“You know the law! Two men enter, one man wipes!”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I am really peed off with people playing it down compared to flu. 

Flu is serious, it is why I and many others got our flu jab. Something we can't do with this. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am really peed off with people playing it down compared to flu. 

Flu is serious, it is why I and many others got our flu jab. Something we can't do with this. 

This is spot on. Comparing it to flu or even traffic accidents should emphasise that it matters.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Well played James Cleverley, well played. ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

This is spot on. Comparing it to flu or even traffic accidents should emphasise that it matters.

Flu and traffic are also already ‘priced in’, we expect them to a certain degree.  New things cause much more uncertainty.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Been talking to my neighbour who has been on his monthly stocking up trip with his misses to  Costco at Watford. He says they have security guarding the toilet rolls and limiting it to a pack ( of 40) to one per customer as people have been buying dozens of packs at a time and causing a bit of an issue.  

4 hours ago, ckn said:

Well played James Cleverley, well played. ? 

Those tossers in government should be safe then.

• Like 1

I went to my local Sainsbury's this afternoon. The bogroll aisles were empty and being frantically replenished. Do we actually deserve to survive this?

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Panic buying in Spalding

Panic on the streets of Spalding

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Getting real in Denmark.

This weekend's handball is behind closed doors.

Handball ???

So the players all put their hands on the ball and throw it to each other .... yet it's not encouraged to shake hands !!! ???

4 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Literally not bothered about it. The press are making it worse.

Keep calm and carry on, we've become soft. Crazy.

You won’t be saying that in the dark post-toilet roll days to come. You’ll be pleading for soft after a year or two of emergency Izal.

• Haha 2

When I were a lad a kindle would have been  a dream of how to get rid of clingons.We had to use old newspaper.

You snowflakes don't know you are born.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Italy are upping their response -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Italy are upping their response -

It’s very sobering. 

To put the above in context. Italy has currently 567 people in intensive care with this illness.

On 1st March (last day I have stats for), there were 3636 intensive care beds in England with 2888 used for the full day. Realistically you can round that to around 3000 to count for the people discharged and others taking those beds. That leaves 600-750 beds free for the country. Effectively, if we see the same patterns as Italy, we’ll run out of critical care beds at around 6000 active (not closed) cases. 

On normal hospital beds, on 1 March England had 91,780 beds full out of 98,878, a free capacity of 7000, but that doesn’t account for discharge and admission issues that reduce used numbers.

At 5061 active cases, Italy had 3218 in hospital, that effectively means we run out of normal beds at 11,000 active cases. 

That does not account for the complexities of having to isolate wards for either category. It’s unbelievably difficult to partition an intensive care ward, standard are easier as you can just close the entire thing. 

And THAT is why delaying spread is so important. Stretch it out so that it doesn’t overwhelm that small capacity. Point fingers later. 

• Like 3