Sign in to follow this  
aj1908

Nines

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Enjoyed the women’s final. Those NRLW players are miles ahead of ours. 

How’s the crowd numbers ??

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Slightly related, I know we didn’t take it very seriously, but is there any plans to have another Nines WC? 

In 4 year apparently. 

Seems a great plan...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Any ideas if it will be opened up for other suitors to bid on hosting it? 

Who knows, I cant imagine a format that only exists every four years is all that attractive

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Slightly related, I know we didn’t take it very seriously, but is there any plans to have another Nines WC? 

Samoa are hosting another 9's international tournament, with Chinese funding. It will involve non-professional players but Australia, India, China will all be taking part. Others to be confirmed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Anybody watching ? Quarter finals about to start 

I watched most of it, although this morning start was a tad early. There's a thread on the Australian Rugby League Forum. A very enjoyable weekend's entertainment.

The women's final was great, and an upset too. Turning over a Brisbane side that had ruled the roost in the women's game with aggressive attacking was great to see. I've been a fan of Kezie Apps ever since I first saw her in the Auckland Nines, and she was superb in the final from start to finish.

Plenty of young players turning out for almost every club, and some real finds. Plus a few veterans (and an AFL player) having a go in the first round matches. Kurt Gidley was probably the best player on the field for the Knights, and Jason Nightingale looked pretty decent too.

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is, to quote an Aussie commentator from a few years ago, "diseased with speed!" Tristan Sailor continues to develop and the Dragons look like they are moving in the right directon.

And the Gold Coast Titans actually looked good. 🤯

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Now, instead of a garbage "Majick Weekend", the Super League/ RFL might consent to one of these instead, imagine, Wigan v Saints v Warrington, Leeds v Wakefield v Castleford, Hull v KR v Toronto, Salford v Catalans v Toulouse, on the Saturday, then the knock outs on Sunday. There is a way of keeping all the teams playing on both days, Cup, Shield, & Plate games.

Offer it to Quest, C5, Premier Sports/Freesports, not Sky as they usually do, or the BBC who will put it on Red Button at 3am

Edited by Bleep1673

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Having watched some of it then, yes, it was entertaining but, as with 20-20 cricket, it's not the real thing and I think I'd just get fed up with it after the novelty has worn off ... and which is also why I have no interest in other "alternative" ways the game is played. (ie It's NOT Rugby League played as it should and to a level I enjoy watching).

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Having watched some of it then, yes, it was entertaining but, as with 20-20 cricket, it's not the real thing and I think I'd just get fed up with it after the novelty has worn off ... and which is also why I have no interest in other "alternative" ways the game is played. (ie It's NOT Rugby League played as it should and to a level I enjoy watching).

Not sure how long you have watched RL, but when I was watching in the 1970/80's there were plenty of 7's tournaments that were very entertaining

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.