Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

Placed where RL is non-existent

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

The US system has both good and bad points, yep it’s great for the income generating potential but it can suck for the average fan.

For example, I follow the Seattle Seahawks, or at least I do on TV as there isn’t a hope in hell of me getting a season ticket, and single game tickets can only be found from scalpers in return for a kidney! But then I shouldn’t complain too much, the poor people of Oakland have just seen their team relocated to Las Vegas just because their billionaire owner couldn’t get the taxpayers of one of America’s poorest cities to pay for a new stadium.

There are some things I like about the US model but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s the answer.

Yup.

Unfollow the Seahawks.

18 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Also I have a question to get us back to the thread, obviously Rugby (of both codes) transported well to Aus and NZ but has never seen any major presence in Canada, RU would be well down the list of sports in Canada and RL is virtually non existent outside a couple of clubs in Ontario, yet soccer has only been a threat over the past few years, given that the same kinds of people emigrated from the UK to Canada as did to Aus and NZ does anyone know the historical reason for that. How did a really strong rugby culture become established down under whereas Canada seemed to follow the route of Hockey then American sports?

There's a few Canadian posters who could tell you more, but AFAIK the CFL was originally started as a Canadian Rugby competition. From there its evolved into a more NFL style comp but in its starts up to the post second world war era it was a rugby competition. If I remember correctly it says rugby football on the Grey cup that CFL teams play for. 

So in that sense rugby did migrate to Canada it just morphed whilst it was there, a bit like AFL in that sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a few Canadian posters who could tell you more, but AFAIK the CFL was originally started as a Canadian Rugby competition. From there its evolved into a more NFL style comp but in its starts up to the post second world war era it was a rugby competition. If I remember correctly it says rugby football on the Grey cup that CFL teams play for. 

So in that sense rugby did migrate to Canada it just morphed whilst it was there, a bit like AFL in that sense.

I love the CFL (Have been over to watch a Grey Cup Final) somewhere on You Tube there is footage from the 1920/30s with a similar play the ball re-start to rugby league.

3 downs wonderful far better than the NFL and so much in common with Rugby League great fans to.

Paul

• Like 2

As Harrogate was mentioned before here, I started some research with a couple of mates I knew we had a very small amateur team in the 80s and there is an amateur team in nearby Wetherby. So we have re-setup the side the new name is Harrogate Fire Ants, we will be playing out of a union side linked to Harrogate Railway FC playing 2-3 friendlies over a 6 week summer period initially in the union off season and build from there. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

As Harrogate was mentioned before here, I started some research with a couple of mates I knew we had a very small amateur team in the 80s and there is an amateur team in nearby Wetherby. So we have re-setup the side the new name is Harrogate Fire Ants, we will be playing out of a union side linked to Harrogate Railway FC playing 2-3 friendlies over a 6 week summer period initially in the union off season and build from there. 

Good luck with it, who are the Rugby Union side?

10 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Good luck with it, who are the Rugby Union side?

Cheers Harrogate Pythons, its one where if you don't ask you don't get I wasn't expecting them to be so receptive to the idea but they saw it as an income and fitness opportunity for some of their players too. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:22, Hopping Mad said:

Stockport is a very good shout. It's 20 years since I saw the RU club play but I recall their ground being a long way out of town. Any amateur rugby league activity in the Stockport area over the years?

I saw Swinton play a few times at Gigg Lane, Bury. Do any Swinton fans among posters recall RL being welcome (or even slightly popular) in Bury or at Gigg Lane? Bury Broncos ARLFC are still alive and kicking, aren't they?

I mentioned Goole further up this thread. With an amateur rugby league club now up and running, based at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds (facilities good enough for semi-pro RL), is there a chance we might see a Goole team in League One?

Maybe have to slow down on the league one talk just yet.

However, once we have the foundations of a solid sustainable club with junior teams and a player pathway, we definitely intend to move up the pyramid and out of the Yorkshire men's league.

For us, a mid table finish in YML div 2 was a success last season, one that we were hoping to grow on in 2020...….

• Like 3

On 08/04/2020 at 19:12, Number 16 said:

Keswick is a strange one!

Despite the town's apparent 125 year resistance to our sport, I'd be surprised if it was always a complete RL desert. Given the then existence of the railway line to Cockermouth and onwards to Workington it's easy to imagine that there was a level of interest during Town's halcyon days of the 40s and 50s. Were the trains full on matchday?

As if by magic, I find this from 1954... 

Keswick branch.jpg

• Like 2

There are several SL teams within a reasonable drive of Liverpool but within Liverpool itself there is no interest at all, although there isn’t any interest in any other team sport than football. I would have thought that there would be potential for a semi pro team at Championship or League 1 level as  I would have thought that the sports working class origins would have some appeal in the city.

1 minute ago, Mumby Magic said:

Thinking about certain areas mentioned on here, is part of it to do with the Secondary and High Schools playing Union more. 

The school system is definitely helpful for RU. They have a huge number of Private schools that play regular weekly fixtures (though even that isn't as strong as it was a decade ago) and cups. From that they can fit state schools into a pre existing system which is much easier than setting up a new system altogether.

It's not only entire towns that are more known for either rugby or football but even parts of the same town.

The North-East part of Oldham is always known as the rugby end, where, as well as Watersheddings, it hosts the top local amateur clubs (ie: Higginshaw, Saddleworth, St.Anne's, Waterhead) whereas the South-West is more football-based and home to Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park as well as the town's two highest local non-league clubs, Chadderton and Avro - the latter of which play at Whitebank Stadium, the former home of Oldham RL.

Yet another reason why the rugby club's attendances began to decline when they were conned into leaving Watersheddings and had to find a new venue at the other side of town.

On 07/04/2020 at 16:10, Tommygilf said:

Generally I get the sense that the majority of towns can only support 1 team and then slightly larger places can support more. Wakefield, Bath, Warrington, St Helens and Gloucester are classic examples of places that really should have football league teams but the prevalence of Rugby (either code) has played a huge factor 

Stick Bedford in that list

Good post

• Like 2

On 12/04/2020 at 08:00, HarrogateKnights said:

Because of this thread?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 07/04/2020 at 16:10, Tommygilf said:

Generally I get the sense that the majority of towns can only support 1 team and then slightly larger places can support more

This reflects a town like Oldham. In the early 1990s Oldham Athletic were in the FA Premier Division, played in two FA Cup semi-finals and got to Wembley in the League Cup final, while Oldham RL twice won the Divisional Premiership at Old Trafford, appeared in Challenge Cup semi-finals, played in the top division and pulled off many giant-killing acts against supposedly higher quality opposition.

Yet while the attendances at Oldham Athletic were the lowest in the Premier Division (approx average 13,000), those at Oldham RL were the highest percentage-wise of any Rugby League club with a professional soccer club also in the same town (ie: not a great amount of people followed both teams). Furthermore in 1989 and 1990 Oldham Celtics basketball team won National League Championship titles.

Therefore a comment on the video at the end of Oldham RL's Challenge Cup quarter-final win away to Widnes in 1990 appears to sum up the problem of having too many teams in one town - especially if they are all being successful (Oldham Athletic had already qualifed for the FA Cup semis that year) - "It's taking an awful lot money to support sport in Oldham at the moment".

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Therefore a comment on the video at the end of Oldham RL's Challenge Cup quarter-final win away to Widnes in 1990 appears to sum up the problem of having too many teams in one town - especially if they are all being successful (Oldham Athletic had already qualifed for the FA Cup semis that year) - "It's taking an awful lot money to support sport in Oldham at the moment".

Christ, 1990... they had absolutely no idea what was about to happen to ticket prices to watch sport (especially football)... 

This reflects a town like Oldham. In the early 1990s Oldham Athletic were in the FA Premier Division, played in two FA Cup semi-finals and got to Wembley in the League Cup final, while Oldham RL twice won the Divisional Premiership at Old Trafford, appeared in Challenge Cup semi-finals, played in the top division and pulled off many giant-killing acts against supposedly higher quality opposition.

Yet while the attendances at Oldham Athletic were the lowest in the Premier Division (approx average 13,000), those at Oldham RL were the highest percentage-wise of any Rugby League club with a professional soccer club also in the same town (ie: not a great amount of people followed both teams). Furthermore in 1989 and 1990 Oldham Celtics basketball team won National League Championship titles.

That translates into sponsors as well. There's only so many that are inclined to sponsor a team and then competition for that creates natural limitations unless teams and competitions transcend their immediate supporter base.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

1990... they had absolutely no idea what was about to happen to ticket prices to watch sport (especially football)... 

Irrespective of that, the cost those days would still have taken a lot out of a weekly wage.

(NB: Please note, that as a Christian, I have not quoted the first word you used to emphasise your point of view).

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Irrespective of that, the cost those days would still have taken a lot out of a weekly wage.

(NB: Please note, that as a Christian, I have not quoted the first word you used to emphasise your point of view).

Fair enough - no offence intended!

• Thanks 1

Out of interest what team would Jesus support in your opinion? 

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Out of interest what team would Jesus support in your opinion? 

Every one of them.

I just wonder why some people use the name as an expletive or emphasis when they don't (or maybe wouldn't dare) use other such religious icons for similar purposes. Number 3 of the Ten Commandments - "You shall not take the name of the Lord tyour God in vain".  OK, it may not be their God but please give respect to those for who it is.

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Every one of them.

I just wonder why some people use the name as an expletive or emphasis when they don't (or maybe wouldn't dare) use other such religious icons for similar purposes. Number 3 of the Ten Commandments - "You shall not take the name of the Lord tyour God in vain".  OK, it may not be their God but please give respect to those for who it is.

Fair enough.... Don't know many religious people myself.... Good for you having faith..... I sometimes think it might do me good to pray for the Broncos