Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JohnH685

Australian Rugby

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Having recently signed up to NRL.com can anyone recommend the best Origin Series and grand finals to watch without mentioning the scores or who won? 

Many Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JohnH685 said:

Hi All,

Having recently signed up to NRL.com can anyone recommend the best Origin Series and grand finals to watch without mentioning the scores or who won? 

Many Thanks

South Sydney v Canterbury - 2014. 
North Queensland v Brisbane - 2015. 

They’re two of the better ones from recent years. 

As for the Origin series, I’m biased because I absolutely love Origin, I’d watch any of them over and over. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JohnH685 said:

Hi All,

Having recently signed up to NRL.com can anyone recommend the best Origin Series and grand finals to watch without mentioning the scores or who won? 

Many Thanks

Hard to beat the earlier suggestion of 2015 NRL grand final, and 1994 Origin 1 is another obvious go-to.

On a side-note, if like me you`re a civilised creature who does not want to "Bring back the Biff", avoid 1991 Origin 2 and 1995 Origin 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you’ve gone through and watched all the SOO we will then know you’re a brave enough soul. As such you’ll qualify to watch a Wigan v Warrington pre season friendly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Once you’ve gone through and watched all the SOO we will then know you’re a brave enough soul. As such you’ll qualify to watch a Wigan v Warrington pre season friendly. 

Locker Cup is draped in blood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, started with SOO, watched 80 and 81 now. Never knew it started as a one off game. As for the Pie Wire friendly as a Saints fan will give that a miss :) Appreciate your feedback

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Hard to beat the earlier suggestion of 2015 NRL grand final, and 1994 Origin 1 is another obvious go-to.

On a side-note, if like me you`re a civilised creature who does not want to "Bring back the Biff", avoid 1991 Origin 2 and 1995 Origin 2.

Nothing wrong with either of the two games you mention.  In fact, I have just been motivated to go back and re-watch 1991 game 2.  Yes a couple of unsavoury incidents but overall a wonderfully enthralling match.

I would rather watch a game like that full of intensity, massive defence and attrition than a 9's competition which is engineered to produce a try a every two minutes.

It's games like that why I fell in love with the gladiatorial element of Rugby League.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnH685 said:

Thanks all, started with SOO, watched 80 and 81 now. Never knew it started as a one off game. As for the Pie Wire friendly as a Saints fan will give that a miss ? Appreciate your feedback

Worth reading up on the contemporary media views of the Origin concept, compared to the previous interstate competition. Pretty much everyone in the Australian press thought it was a gimmick that'd wither and die.

The newspaper headlines the morning after the first Origin match are... just a tiny bit different. :kolobok_cool:

  • Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Nothing wrong with either of the two games you mention.  In fact, I have just been motivated to go back and re-watch 1991 game 2.  Yes a couple of unsavoury incidents but overall a wonderfully enthralling match.

I would rather watch a game like that full of intensity, massive defence and attrition than a 9's competition which is engineered to produce a try a every two minutes.

It's games like that why I fell in love with the gladiatorial element of Rugby League.

Maybe I`m more delicate than you, certainly prefer the greater self-restraint exercised today. There was always the danger that it didn`t settle down. The 1991 game was an inevitable war of attrition given the conditions, but do you really like seeing two great players protractedly in each other`s faces? The 1995 biff was suspected of being a stage-managed throwback to appeal to anti-Murdoch traditionalists. Looked pretty convincing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Worth reading up on the contemporary media views of the Origin concept, compared to the previous interstate competition. Pretty much everyone in the Australian press thought it was a gimmick that'd wither and die.

The newspaper headlines the morning after the first Origin match are... just a tiny bit different. :kolobok_cool:

Good reason why we shouldn't listen to the RL media ever.


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2015 is the best of the last 20 or so years, but the 1989 grand final is the greatest of all time.

The 97 grand finals are interesting as well.

2005 SOO.

Edited by The Great Dane
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Worth reading up on the contemporary media views of the Origin concept, compared to the previous interstate competition. Pretty much everyone in the Australian press thought it was a gimmick that'd wither and die.

The newspaper headlines the morning after the first Origin match are... just a tiny bit different. :kolobok_cool:

Everyone in NSW thought it was a gimmick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2020 at 11:50, JohnH685 said:

Hi All,

Having recently signed up to NRL.com can anyone recommend the best Origin Series and grand finals to watch without mentioning the scores or who won? 

Many Thanks

It`s neither an Origin nor a grand final, and you might already be familiar, but my favourite game of last year was Round 19 Storm v Sea-Eagles. Some of the passages towards the end I`ve watched on a loop for literally a couple of hours.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...