Robert Elstone - Ditch Relegation and Promotion for coming season

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

If they is no relegation or promotion, then there is really no point in re starting. Competition goes right out the window. Absolute non starter. 

If we can restart the season and choose not to then we don't fulfil the tv contract obligations. Sky would be perfectly entitled to not hand over any more money and the sport would go down the drain. If promotion can't happen then leagues below SL need not restart but the top flight must do if it can.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I like how the Yorkshire Post mentions all the teams vying for promotion apart the team actually from Yorkshire.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, Hullfan said:

If they is no relegation or promotion, then there is really no point in re starting. Competition goes right out the window. Absolute non starter. 

You can still have a competition for the title, which is, like, the most important bit. 

Plus as other have said, the game loses millions in TV fees by not playing out Superleague including by my reckoning, an average of about £200,000 for each Championship club, and £50,000 for each L1 club. 

If there is no relegation from Super League perhaps the parachute payment will be split among all Championship clubs - or those who don't get a share of the 16m pounds,either through refusal or non-request.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Except Sky might want something. Let’s face it, the biggest driver in getting sports playing behind closed doors is to satisfy broadcasters. If governments give the OK for sport, then broadcasters will strongly influence what happens next.

54 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Except Sky might want something. Let’s face it, the biggest driver in getting sports playing behind closed doors is to satisfy broadcasters. If governments give the OK for sport, then broadcasters will strongly influence what happens next.

Who will pay for the testing of players and staff before games can commence? Testing is being done in Australia for our sport,and in other European places for the soccer - so sports can restart.

Reading about the Premier League - for the clubs to get the kits to test those involved - it is estimated,in the penultimate paragraph - to be 4 million pounds - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/07/players-concerns-premier-league-executives-over-project-restart

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Who will pay for the testing of players and staff before games can commence? Testing is being done in Australia for our sport,and in other European places for the soccer - so sports can restart.

Reading about the Premier League - for the clubs to get the kits to test those involved - it is estimated,in the penultimate paragraph - to be 4 million pounds - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/07/players-concerns-premier-league-executives-over-project-restart

Good question, all I’m saying is that I don’t see our clubs racing to get back playing when it will be behind closed doors. What will bring Super League back will be Sky pushing for content, probably when the Premier League is finished. I’m sure they will be quick to remind us that we have a contract for x games this year, they will then expect us to figure out the rest. Maybe the best solution for our clubs may be if the Government says no to contact sport till 2021, since I agree that the cost of testing, the logistics of putting on a series of behind closed door games and the rapidly diminishing timeline to fit in a season and all with no gate revenue, doesn’t make an attractive proposition.

I honestly think that the primary objective of a lot of the posters on this site about the game recommencing is not of any concern other than their own gratification to sit down and watch the sport on TV. 

If SL does restart or not I am not duly concerned, I will await what the government decides, not SKY, not SL, not Elstone or Rimmer for none of those can have anymore influence on the matter than anyone commenting on these pages.

People can get their RL 'fix' with the Aussie NRL game reopening later this month be satisfied with that, after all it is better RL in comparison to our game.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I honestly think that the primary objective of a lot of the posters on this site about the game recommencing is not of any concern other than their own gratification to sit down and watch the sport on TV. 

If SL does restart or not I am not duly concerned, I will await what the government decides, not SKY, not SL, not Elstone or Rimmer for none of those can have anymore influence on the matter than anyone commenting on these pages.

People can get their RL 'fix' with the Aussie NRL game reopening later this month be satisfied with that, after all it is better RL in comparison to our game.

Agreed Harry

we all want sport back but there are much bigger things at stake 

German football playing behind closed doors reckon they still need/have 300 in attendance.  Not exactly social distancing. 

i want RL back ASAP but just can’t see it happening any time soon.  For the time being will just have to settle for horse racing 

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's the thin end of a very unpleasant wedge once supporters are unnecessary and unwanted/unneeded.

There is also the issue of what will be broadcast.An empty stadium echoing to the sound of players using obscenities.Not a good look,or a good sound,when hoping attendances do improve in the future.

The sport may go the same route as association football where the broadcast company alters dates and times of games - and clubs survive on money from broadcast companies without any money from supporters being required;or considered.

How can supporters of the sport,who want this,then ridicule followers of other clubs,who don't attract very many,and use a cow bell,for instance,or a drum,to self-generate 'atmosphere',to give 'their' side an advantage?

Thin end of the very unpleasant wedge that should be opposed at every opportunity.

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As the prime minster once said, I have never heard such a load of sanctimonious humbug. You know nothing about what individuals want or think and to accuse people of wishing to put others at risk to get their 'fix' is just appalling. I'm sure you'll give it the old predictable "I just say what I see" bobbins but it's just pompous virtue signalling at its very worst. 

Everyone's suffering from this pandemic, nobody wants people to come to harm, but we love this sport at least as much as you claim to and want it to still be around and thriving in 5, 10 and 50 years, rather than being wiped out for good in the next year. That's what people are debating, like every other sport and every other business. Yes, sports clubs are businesses collectively employing thousands of people. 

And what's more, you're entirely wrong. Have you not even been watching the last week? The top people in our sport are in contact with government every single day to work out plans for how some of the game might return if and when it's safe. No sport or business is just sitting back and waiting to be told what to do, thank goodness. 

You don't want to be part of that discussion? Absolutely fine. Take a back seat then. But to come on to the forum and attempt to shut others up by accusing them of being willing to risk people's health is beyond the pale. 

44 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

As the prime minster once said, I have never heard such a load of sanctimonious humbug. You know nothing about what individuals want or think and to accuse people of wishing to put others at risk to get their 'fix' is just appalling. I'm sure you'll give it the old predictable "I just say what I see" bobbins but it's just pompous virtue signalling at its very worst. 

Everyone's suffering from this pandemic, nobody wants people to come to harm, but we love this sport at least as much as you claim to and want it to still be around and thriving in 5, 10 and 50 years, rather than being wiped out for good in the next year. That's what people are debating, like every other sport and every other business. Yes, sports clubs are businesses collectively employing thousands of people. 

And what's more, you're entirely wrong. Have you not even been watching the last week? The top people in our sport are in contact with government every single day to work out plans for how some of the game might return if and when it's safe. No sport or business is just sitting back and waiting to be told what to do, thank goodness. 

You don't want to be part of that discussion? Absolutely fine. Take a back seat then. But to come on to the forum and attempt to shut others up by accusing them of being willing to risk people's health is beyond the pale. 

Hi Toby, thank you for your (tirade) answer of my "pompous virtue signalling" whatever that is supposed to mean.

We both have an opinion I placed mine and you answered no problem with that whatsoever, you tell me I am entirely wrong then you go on to say "The top people in our sport are in contact with government every single day to work out plans" really do you honestly believe that, I should imagine the government have far more pressing concerns to "discuss every single day" than the return of RL.

So my opinion is not being part of the discussion is it, and yours is so obviously correct, a bit of a pompous attitude don't you think?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Toby, thank you for your (tirade) answer of my "pompous virtue signalling" whatever that is supposed to mean.

We both have an opinion I placed mine and you answered no problem with that whatsoever, you tell me I am entirely wrong then you go on to say "The top people in our sport are in contact with government every single day to work out plans" really do you honestly believe that, I should imagine the government have far more pressing concerns to "discuss every single day" than the return of RL.

So my opinion is not being part of the discussion is it, and yours is so obviously correct, a bit of pompous attitude don't you think?

We've just got so far the only government loan given to a sport and every time Rimmer and Elstone have been on podcasts/interviews etc. they've said they're in constant contact. I don't think its unrealistic to believe them (within reason I don't see them on zoom to Boris Johnson).

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

We've just got so far the only government loan given to a sport and every time Rimmer and Elstone have been on podcasts/interviews etc. they've said they're in constant contact. I don't think its unrealistic to believe them (within reason I don't see them on zoom to Boris Johnson).

This getting rather petty Tommy, but do you not think that 'constant' within that sentance is a figure of speech rather than it's actual meaning of continuously?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

This getting rather petty Tommy, but do you not think that 'constant' within that sentance is a figure of speech rather than it's actual meaning of continuously?

Totally agree. I'm not the one disputing that as a figure of speech:

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

you go on to say "The top people in our sport are in contact with government every single day to work out plans" really do you honestly believe that, I should imagine the government have far more pressing concerns to "discuss every single day" than the return of RL.

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So my opinion is not being part of the discussion is it, and yours is so obviously correct, a bit of a pompous attitude don't you think?

Ralph Rimmer, just prior to the bailout being announced: 

"It has been probably 3 or 4 times a day for the last 3 weeks, they have been unbelievable supportive, they've been fantastic, the DCMS and the Treasury and various members of cabinet as well.."

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/11974776/rimmer-latest-updates-from-rfl

Government understands the impact on the livelihoods and communities that rely on rugby league and quite rightly make some time for it and other sports. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. The scientists and medical advisers and NHS work on the outbreak, the police keep order and the economic and social ministries work on the wider impact. Discussing if a return to sport and other activity is possible and fighting the outbreak aren't mutually exclusive, and it seems to be what most people are expecting from their government.

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Ralph Rimmer, just prior to the bailout being announced: 

"It has been probably 3 or 4 times a day for the last 3 weeks, they have been unbelievable supportive, they've been fantastic, the DCMS and the Treasury and various members of cabinet as well.."

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/11974776/rimmer-latest-updates-from-rfl

Government understands the impact on the livelihoods and communities that rely on rugby league and quite rightly make some time for it and other sports. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. The scientists and medical advisers and NHS work on the outbreak, the police keep order and the economic and social ministries work on the wider impact. Discussing if a return to sport and other activity is possible and fighting the outbreak aren't mutually exclusive, and it seems to be what most people are expecting from their government.

All very commendable Toby, but I will remain highly suspicious of 'every single day'

A nine round ten team SL only comp fitted in after the conclusion of the Premier League played at 3 neutral venues behind closed doors all televised is the only Pro RL likely until next February 

IMO ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A nine round ten team SL only comp fitted in after the conclusion of the Premier League played at 3 neutral venues behind closed doors all televised is the only Pro RL likely until next February 

IMO ?

Agreed that is one of the potential solutions that will be coming to the fore. Whats increasingly clear is that whatever rugby is played out this year its unlikely to result in a team being relegated from Super League

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed that is one of the potential solutions that will be coming to the fore. Whats increasingly clear is that whatever rugby is played out this year its unlikely to result in a team being relegated from Super League

It would give us a 45-50 game comp to satisfy SKY 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Never agree with scrapping promotion /relegation if that’s inherent in your system . What you playing for then ?

I don't agree with it , but in our current situation there won't be any potential to fairly decide who goes up or down , in that circumstance it will not happen this year , the SL clubs will play out the 2020 ' Covid ' Cup 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It would give us a 45-50 game comp to satisfy SKY 

Absolutely. Dependent on whether Catalans can be here also offers other options but unless Boris comes out with something miraculous tonight then whats been played of the 2020 season already is probably not going to be carried forwards.

Archived