Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Therein73

Biggest 'let down' signings.........

Recommended Posts

Pinching the theme from earlier 'best of' ........... Which players do you feel were the most disappointing 'big name' signings, either because of poor performances or short-lived Dewsbury careers.....

My Top3 would be:

Tere Glassie ..............It just didn't happen, did it ??

Sid Domic ........... Half a game ( at Rochdale, I think) and sadly injury put paid to things

Nick Fozzard ....... Was it one or two friendlies and then injury saw him call time on his playing days

Other notable 'one-offs' :    Mick Murphy - Challenge Cup vs Oldham .......... David Fifita -- DR appearance at Rochdale.....had no right to wear the shirt !!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

Pinching the theme from earlier 'best of' ........... Which players do you feel were the most disappointing 'big name' signings, either because of poor performances or short-lived Dewsbury careers.....

My Top3 would be:

Tere Glassie ..............It just didn't happen, did it ??

Sid Domic ........... Half a game ( at Rochdale, I think) and sadly injury put paid to things

Nick Fozzard ....... Was it one or two friendlies and then injury saw him call time on his playing days

Other notable 'one-offs' :    Mick Murphy - Challenge Cup vs Oldham .......... David Fifita -- DR appearance at Rochdale.....had no right to wear the shirt !!!! 

Jordan Tansey, Michael Platt, Matt Haggerty.


Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, so very many to choose from - this may take some time. I think that there is a need to differentiate between disappointments and those who didn't last due to injuries - Fozzard, Domic, Michael Jackson etc. I also think that poor old Mick Murphy was entirely blameless - he didn't want to come out of retirement but was persuaded to by an old mate, who should have know better.

Tansey would definitely be one though and I was always disappointed by Adrian Plummer. GOR should remind us of the Castleford cast-offs: Briscoe, Brunyee and (?) Frain.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oh dear, so very many to choose from - this may take some time. I think that there is a need to differentiate between disappointments and those who didn't last due to injuries - Fozzard, Domic, Michael Jackson etc. I also think that poor old Mick Murphy was entirely blameless - he didn't want to come out of retirement but was persuaded to by an old mate, who should have know better.

Tansey would definitely be one though and I was always disappointed by Adrian Plummer. GOR should remind us of the Castleford cast-offs: Briscoe, Brunyee and (?) Frain.

And Terry Biscombe (you might be thinking of Ben Fowler) All rubish, and Brunyee the pick of a bad bunch.


Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fullback; Ryan Fieldhouse, Louis Sheriffe, Jordan Tansey

Wing; Lee Close, Guy Coombe, Richard Darkes, Sylvain Houles, Paul Lord, Chris North, Chris Parker, Stewart Sanderson

Centre; Hamish Barnes, Phil Cornforth, Macauley Hallett, 

Half-back; Simon Brown, Brett Patterson, Chris Redfearn, Kobus Van DeVenter, 

Forwards; Paul Bonson, Tere Glassie, Jon Gledhill, Allister McMaster, Ian McRae, Steve Newton, Aaron Trinder, Darren Winmill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

And Terry Biscombe (you might be thinking of Ben Fowler) All rubish, and Brunyee the pick of a bad bunch.

Biscombe, not Briscoe (Eric never played for us) and Fowler, you are correct. Steve Brunyee eventually found his level at Batley I believe.

  • Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Fullback; Ryan Fieldhouse, Louis Sheriffe, Jordan Tansey

Wing; Lee Close, Guy Coombe, Richard Darkes, Sylvain Houles, Paul Lord, Chris North, Chris Parker, Stewart Sanderson

Centre; Hamish Barnes, Phil Cornforth, Macauley Hallett, 

Half-back; Simon Brown, Brett Patterson, Chris Redfearn, Kobus Van DeVenter, 

Forwards; Paul Bonson, Tere Glassie, Jon Gledhill, Allister McMaster, Ian McRae, Steve Newton, Aaron Trinder, Darren Winmill

 

Wow that's an impressive list!

I sponsored Louis Sheriffe, thinking coming from Hull KR he'd be good..... fell out with Glenn Morrison.... and that was that. 

Ryan Fieldhouse - didn't he injure his knee and missed most of the season.

I'd have to disgaree with Sylvain Houles, joined a dire team on verge of relegation scored 3/4 tries in 4 games. He was just in a poor team.

Remember Chris North scoring a fantastic try at McAlpine Stadium v Huddersfield

Brett Patterson was a great player just injury-prone

Steve Newton was a good un as I remember.... but having said that quite a few I can't remember at all so what do I know!

Think our worst ever overseas signing was Liam Tallon ? Irish international who ended up working in the kitchen on match day

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The greatest let down for me was a signing that didn’t take place. Well it did, but... I’ll try and explain. We agreed a swap deal with Bradford Northern whereby Peter Mullins transferred to the Odsal club and their scrum half (Barry Seabourne I believe) was signed by us - note that. 
Said player never want to move and didn’t put pen to paper. 
 

Clive Wilsher in the sixties. He managed to score a try against Cas, but he should have been stopped. The line in front of him was wide open, but instead of crossing the line and then touching down near the posts, he decided to cut inside first and eventually did score amidst a mass of bodies. Whatever happened to him?

In the fifties we had two props who went by the names of Judge and Dolan. I know little about them, but on taking parental guidance, agreed they were useless. They played regularly and took their weekly match fees until retirement I guess. What became of them I wonder?

Derrell  Olpherts. Let down for us because he wasn’t given the chance. Wonder where he is now?

In the same category, but as coach, my nomination would be Glenn Morrison. It took us some time to realise he wasn’t a good coach, but yes, a good player. What’s he doing these days?
 

In the refereeing section, it must go to a man by the name of Mr Meskimmon of Brighouse. Not a let down for us because he allowed Jim Naylor (I think) to take a pass, run 25 yards unopposed and score the winning try at Central Park. Unopposed because all the Wigan players stopped for the referee to blow for a forward pass. Result: Wigan 5-11 Dewxbury (I met my hero, Billy Boston in the bar afterwards). Result for the referee: never heard of again, lost in the fog of that evening probably  

 

  • Like 1

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Glenn works at Bradford grammar teaching union . 


Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ramite said:

I think Glenn works at Bradford grammar teaching union . 

I know he was head coach of Jamaica RL for a bit, I don't know if he still is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Tansey and Macauley Hallett are my biggest disappointments signing wise, both of them weren't great for us (and that's a compliment for Tansey)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Jordan Tansey and Macauley Hallett are my biggest disappointments signing wise, both of them weren't great for us (and that's a compliment for Tansey)

Agreed Tansey was dreadful ... Hallett played well when Gaz Moore was firing on all cylinders .... but did nowt when Gaz Moore wasn't around ... and lets face it he wasn't around most of his contract! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big Aussie prop that we got from Doncaster, Matt Groat, came with a great reputation and we all exected him to tear up this division. What a major letdown he proved to be - unfit, lazy and lackadaisical in equal measure.

Charlie Martin - a legend in his own mind.

And CF mentioned coaches - Lewis Jones was my biggest disappointment there.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The big Aussie prop that we got from Doncaster, Matt Groat, came with a great reputation and we all exected him to tear up this division. What a major letdown he proved to be - unfit, lazy and lackadaisical in equal measure.

Charlie Martin - a legend in his own mind.

And CF mentioned coaches - Lewis Jones was my biggest disappointment there.

Charlie Martin - talked a brilliant game.. the full package 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallet could a been a decent player if he could a lost the temper tantrams when he were starved a ball.a good player will chime in and get as much ball as he wants,all these players and no mention a carl after all stick he used to get for a big lad.:kolobok_training1: Charlie martin should a been on stage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, silverback said:

Hallet could a been a decent player if he could a lost the temper tantrams when he were starved a ball.a good player will chime in and get as much ball as he wants,all these players and no mention a carl after all stick he used to get for a big lad.:kolobok_training1: Charlie martin should a been on stage...

Hallet was nowhere near as good as he was made out to be given all the hype he got when we traded him for Jason Crookes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Hallet was nowhere near as good as he was made out to be given all the hype he got when we traded him for Jason Crookes.

Thats why i said could, he had a few decent games for us when he just got on with the game,but soon as  he wernt getting any ball or missing an odd tackle he threw a wobbler time after time and blamed everybody else,and his game went to pot within minutes while on the pitch. crookes were miles above hallet and i were sad to see him go along with a few others who dident seem to fit in,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, silverback said:

Hallet could a been a decent player if he could a lost the temper tantrams when he were starved a ball.a good player will chime in and get as much ball as he wants,all these players and no mention a carl after all stick he used to get for a big lad.:kolobok_training1: Charlie martin should a been on stage...

Take it you mean KP silverback ? He was a marmite player, and very few people had no opinion of him at all. I stood in the "liked him" corner, because for all his apparent nonchalance, he WAS dependable as a full back. He didn't drop many high kicks, and he always seemed to just about get across to make cover tackles. He also scored some good tries. Fitness might have been an issue, but I understand he played most of his time with us carrying a back injury. If that's true, he played creditably, in a struggling team, in pain, and while taking ill judged and unnecessary stick from some sectors of the support. He could have been a better player than his brother (and he was good) given different health circumstances IMO.

  • Like 5

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...