Make the corner flags in touch again

7 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’d rather see new rules to limit the number of tries scored from crossfield kicks!

Make tries scored from a kick worth 3pts with no conversion attempt. It would become another layer of tactical scoring like the drop goal. It would encourage keeping the ball in hand and more inventive play.

I know the argument about it being a difficult skill which deserves the reward of a normal try but too many sets end in crossfield kicks, most unsuccessfully.

Said this for years, great point. Rugby is s running game. 

Either less points or no conversion. 100% agree. 

There is a practical point about considering the goal flag to be in touch, No 16.  Unless you can guarantee that all flags are absolutely upright, you introduce a random element into the play.  You might as well say it's OK if the linesman is a bit wobbly with how he marks out the goal line!

I agree with the prevailing view on here, that it was a good move to say touching the flag while in mid-air in the act of scoring is acceptable.

Surely it is now up to coaches to work out how to defend the threat of the acrobatic try in the corner rather than prevent it by going back to what was a strange law.

If the flag leaned in field it could cut a wingers play area down by a foot or more.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

There is a practical point about considering the goal flag to be in touch, No 16.  Unless you can guarantee that all flags are absolutely upright, you introduce a random element into the play.

The point about the corner post leaning inwards one of the reasons put forward to change the rule in the NRL in June 2010 which was  mid season and after 1 SOO match had already been played. Another reason was that old the rule was an anomaly in the game.

Cannot remember when it was changed in the English game.

One other aspect about this is safety. Under the old rule the winger was more likely to dive towards covering defenders flying into him. There were some nasty head clashes as a result. When the winger can go airborne towards and beyond the touchline, the impact from defenders is in the same direction he is moving and is absorbed. The whole thing is a lot safer.

Archived