Championship and League 1 Scrapped

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Damien said:

And less income streams. Leigh never even owned Hilton Park at the end after selling due to financial issues. 

What,you mean a top ambitious club like Leigh had to sell their ground due to financial issues.Did they become a pub team?

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Said this many Times, was it Bill Fallowfield who was at the helm when the game was buzzing in the 50's?

All spectator sport was buzzing in the '50s.

Huge crowds everywhere.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Said this many Times, was it Bill Fallowfield who was at the helm when the game was buzzing in the 50's?

It was indeed.... l'angelo mysterioso.... formerly of this parish, was and remains quite vocal about his tenure at the helm.

21 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Campbell is no Robin Hood of the lower leagues. He's not interested in taking from "the rich" and giving to "the poor", he cares little for making Rugby League a better game for all, he cares little for growing the sport. He wants a seat at the top table alongside the Super League chairmen, who people like Campbell and lower league fans spend so often vilifying for "self interest", while Campbell is looking after his own self interests (of which I don't blame him for, it's what everyone is doing, after all). And this, the greed from chairmen at every single level is why the game is where it's at right now. We're governed by our clubs and those clubs should have a say on what happens to the sport and their business interest but the game needs independent governance and without it, this infighting, belittling of each other and rather toxic and dour war of words will continue again and again. 

What do you know about Campbells background in this sport. He's one of very few chairmen, that started off playing rugby  in the amateur game, and was good enough to be signed on professionally. So I'm quite sure he understands how the game works from grassroots level upwards, again more than some other chairmen. As for your last point I can't see how that will work, if as you say clubs have a right on what happens in the game both on and off, I'm afraid an independent governance would be in for a very rocky road indeed.

19 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

I would be questioning the trainer if it entered 6 races and lost in every one.

A lot of horses do that.  

There's generally more thatg two horses in a horse race.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is he still about? Must be a good age.

Aye.... he's still about and we're still in touch.

I would wager my mortgage he will be seriously unchuffed with the Toronto situation and would assert as much on these fora if he was still on here.

Chris has his principles. I share a lot of them.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

All spectator sport was buzzing in the '50s.

Huge crowds everywhere.

Early 50's - the rot was setting in mid-decade thanks to a growing host of alternatives and pathetic facilities at sports grounds. Where did all the money go, we might ask.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

It was indeed.... l'angelo mysterioso.... formerly of this parish, was and remains quite vocal about his tenure at the helm.

If I recall correctly his master plan for success involved remerging with RU.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 21/07/2020 at 18:48, Harry Stottle said:

Yep, SL will become a closed shop, and that will be first nail in the coffin lid of not only the Championship, it will affect the communities in those towns, which in turn will slow down the player conveyor belt and have a knock on in SL and the game as a whole, it will be longer than two years mind but the seed will have been sown, but never mind the North America's will come to the rescue, no chucking fance.

I think the SL will become a closed shop,of sorts.

I would not be surprised if we see 2 divisions,a Super League”Elite”and a Super League”Championship” with either 8 or 10 clubs in each one.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You can’t have two divisions. Unless the second SL Championship only contains five teams.
The structure doesn’t cater for different levels. Your scenario again places PT v FT.

Whats the point?

Don’t you know Bradford were good in the 90’s and Widnes were good in the 80’s? Why wouldn’t you want them? 🤣

21 hours ago, Derwent said:

Yes but swapping them would just recreate the problem only with different clubs. Putting Leigh in SL instead of Wakefield achieves nothing.

yep but that wasn't the point... no difference being that any of the clubs could do as well as each other being the point... and maybe marginally better given complacency against hunger...

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

You can’t have two divisions. Unless the second SL Championship only contains five teams.
The structure doesn’t cater for different levels. Your scenario again places PT v FT.

Whats the point?

Create a structure that works for all.  If we have a Championship of  five clubs so be it. It’s up to the rest to catch up as is CH to SL.

well I'm thinking 12 teams currently in SL plus 4 or 5 makes 16 or 17. Surely we can come up with a playing rota to suit.

The issue for not having a bigger league is more to do with finance not how to structure a playing scenario around.

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Don’t you know Bradford were good in the 90’s and Widnes were good in the 80’s? Why wouldn’t you want them? 🤣

Manningham were very good in 1895/96.  Why wouldn't you want them ?

10 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep but that wasn't the point... no difference being that any of the clubs could do as well as each other being the point... and maybe marginally better given complacency against hunger...

Whichever way you cut it we will always end up with a handful of clubs who don't really fit anywhere in the structure. So there is a stark choice to make if that problem is to be fixed - either fund that handful of clubs to SL level to make them competitive to that standard and allow them entry, or equalise the funding at Championship & L1 level to create a balanced competition. Or we can just go on tinkering around the edges with the structure and achieve nothing in the process.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

Whichever way you cut it we will always end up with a handful of clubs who don't really fit anywhere in the structure. So there is a stark choice to make if that problem is to be fixed - either fund that handful of clubs to SL level to make them competitive to that standard and allow them entry, or equalise the funding at Championship & L1 level to create a balanced competition. Or we can just go on tinkering around the edges with the structure and achieve nothing in the process.

don't disagree with your comment

43 minutes ago, Derwent said:

or equalise the funding at Championship & L1 level to create a balanced competition

But as you said earlier that would be a "levelling down excersize" 

Do you not consider the Championship standard has increased immeasurably since 2014, if it was equal funding a lot of players would lose their jobs and the standards would plummet like a stone in a well, but if a SL closed shop is brought back it may as well be acted upon and sanctioned.

Archived