Jump to content

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

This difference is probably a big factor in TWP and SL disagreement over that money.

What needs to happen is to define that a certain amount of the money Sky gives SL/RFL/whoever, X amount is for exclusive TV rights, Y amount is for community investment, Z amount is for the league or whatever else.

The amount that is for TV needs to be split equally, since each team makes up an equal part of the league that is being broadcast.

On the one hand, exactly. On the other, the Sky money invests in the whole UK game and over £2 million into France.

Its splitting this reality that the game needs to suss out. Football did it via the premier league, basically saying the top flight should get more independently and at a certain level equally because they are worth more. 

Crucially this is where Sky and other broadcasters need to be in the discussions. If for example Toronto are worth something to sky then that has to be reflected in TV distribution. I'm coming round to the position that Sky's investment in the game is not a "game as a whole" investment and is for the broadcast of Super League, meaning all partners in Super league should get the same amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not about a new structure its about more clubs

We have plenty on the M62 corridor. Possibly paying attention to them would help.

All to their own.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

So are you saying that RL cannot learn anything from other sports?

The issue being they should have been leading in it. Now people want what should have been.

The majorly of sports probably use RL as example.

That being fame to failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that is where there is a significant difference in perspective. Seeing the central funding as a sort of investment vs payment for the TV rights for the 12 super league clubs. 

For a while now we've trodden a path between the two, half the funding going towards Super League and the rest to the RFL, Championship and L1. With international club sides there's this new idea that clubs should earn TV money as an "investment", that is totally unapparrent with teams from the heartlands. Specifically the heartlands, as arguably all expansion clubs, domestic and international, have faced these higher expectations.

11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SL17 said:

We have plenty on the M62 corridor. Possibly paying attention to them would help.

All to their own.

We've been paying attention to them for 125 years. And look where we are.

  • Like 6

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SL17 said:

We have plenty on the M62 corridor. Possibly paying attention to them would help.

All to their own.

What a silly argument, what do you think the game has been paying attention to for the past 125 years? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

 I'm coming round to the position that Sky's investment in the game is not a "game as a whole" investment and is for the broadcast of Super League, meaning all partners in Super league should get the same amount.

But people have to subscribe to watch, and the majority of those subscriptions come from the M62 corridor and Cumbria. Sky wouldn't be happy if fans of clubs outside SL started cancelling their subscriptions in protest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

But people have to subscribe to watch, and the majority of those subscriptions come from the M62 corridor and Cumbria. Sky wouldn't be happy if fans of clubs outside SL started cancelling their subscriptions in protest. 

I don't think you can even come close to having those figures frankly and even if what you say is true then fans of second division clubs are currently subscribing to not watch their team anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly so what are you moaning about then!

Lost me on the moaning point. Can only see one expansionist moaning here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SL17 said:

Lost me on the moaning point. Can only see one expansionist moaning here.

Ahem

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

We have plenty on the M62 corridor. Possibly paying attention to them would help.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

But people have to subscribe to watch, and the majority of those subscriptions come from the M62 corridor and Cumbria. Sky wouldn't be happy if fans of clubs outside SL started cancelling their subscriptions in protest. 

Do they? I thought 50% came from the south of England 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do they? I thought 50% came from the south of England 

How can we find out and settle the argument, once and for all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SL17 said:

Still here.

Two simple questions.

1. Do you believe that continuing along the same path will assist in the long term survival and growth of the game?

2. How does the game achieve that?

Come on convince me that your view is the best way forward.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Two simple questions.

1. Do you believe that continuing along the same path will assist in the long term survival and growth of the game?

2. How does the game achieve that?

Come on convince me that your view is the best way forward.

Given the success with SL left the sport in a dilemma. It’s now called the product but has created so much destruction structure wise.

Academies count for nothing if you can’t feed them.

In the same breath SL the product cannot continue without being fed.

I do feel there has to be a line drawn now and I really don’t see anything but a total separation in tiers with each carrying their own funding.

I suppose Sly saved the game at one point and thank them for that. But as usual the saviour becomes the killer.

In answer to convincing you! It’s quite simple in order for the sport to continue requires the product supporting the lower tiers. That’s where the cream comes from..

If the product continues on the same line then they run out of players.

SL cannot continue without the lower tiers.  For that reason alone the lower tiers should go it alone.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SL17 said:

Still here.

The sole goal of the sport summed up in two words.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nadera78 said:

The sole goal of the sport summed up in two words.

My shadow is here again. Your jealousy is starting to show sweetheart. Stop trolling or Mr Drake will be informed.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Given the success with SL left the sport in a dilemma. It’s now called the product but has created so much destruction structure wise.

Academies count for nothing if you can’t feed them.

In the same breath SL the product cannot continue without being fed.

I do feel there has to be a line drawn now and I really don’t see anything but a total separation in tiers with each carrying their own funding.

I suppose Sly saved the game at one point and thank them for that. But as usual the saviour becomes the killer.

In answer to convincing you! It’s quite simple in order for the sport to continue requires the product supporting the lower tiers. That’s where the cream comes from..

If the product continues on the same line then they run out of players.

SL cannot continue without the lower tiers.  For that reason alone the lower tiers should go it alone.

Thanks for the response.

Yes SL is a product, it is a business.  The days when clubs were run in the 70’s or 80’s on low crowds and semi-pro players are long gone.  The SKY deal did saved the game but there was a price to pay and that price was full time professionalism.  As soon as players became full time professionals then clubs had to adapt to operating in a business environment to keep afloat.  IMHO this has led to clubs becoming greedy and taking the easy option of wanting the greater share of the TV money instead of taking the harder path to bring in income through their endeavours.

I believe that preserving the academies, semi pro and amateur game should be a non-negotiable and I don’t believe that anyone supporting expansion has ever said they would want those to cease.  I do not see the local amateur game and expansion as being mutually exclusive.  A game that opens into new markets be they in the UK or North America/Europe would in the long term hopefully increase investment and raise the profile of the game and encourage more youngsters to play the game.

I also agree that SL will struggle without the lower tiers.  There should be a strong pyramid from under 9’s to SL with appropriate funding, but how would this be funded if as you say ‘the lower tiers should go it alone’.

 

 

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SL17 said:

My shadow is here again. Your jealousy is starting to show sweetheart. Stop trolling or Mr Drake will be informed.

Feel free, darling


"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SL17 said:

My shadow is here again. Your jealousy is starting to show sweetheart. Stop trolling or Mr Drake will be informed.

It's a forum,if you don't want your posts challenged either put everyone on ignore or don't post,simple really Derek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, now, everyone just calm down...we are all in this together.  Everything will be fine, we will all be Okay, its all going to work out in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Now, now, everyone just calm down...we are all in this together.  Everything will be fine, we will all be Okay, its all going to work out in the end.

You are Boris Johnson and I claim my £5.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...