Challenge cup 2021

Noticed in a report that it could be unlikely that the community teams will be entered into the competition this year. Not surprising really, however it's something that I'm sure all competing teams enjoy playing in and will surely be a miss for all

I don’t expect to see community clubs in and we’ll see if League One and the Championship kick-off to see whether they get to the starting line of the Challenge Cup, if not it should be Leeds (holders), Salford (finalists), Wigan and Warrington (losing semi-finalists) given a bye in round one and the other eight Super League teams playing in round one. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I don’t expect to see community clubs in and we’ll see if League One and the Championship kick-off to see whether they get to the starting line of the Challenge Cup, if not it should be Leeds (holders), Salford (finalists), Wigan and Warrington (losing semi-finalists) given a bye in round one and the other eight Super League teams playing in round one. 

It'll be 2 groups of 6 

4 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

how about 6 groups of two? 3 games, home and away and at a neutral venue too

Eewww! With league home, away, possible loop fixture, magic and playoffs that could mean some teams meeting up to eight times in seven months.

Don't see why we'd need to complicate it, simple knock out format would do. We shouldn't even be looking to play loop fixtures either given the World Cup and potential late start to the season but I suppose the sport is known for doing daft things.

With a likely later start to the season and (hopefully) a World Cup in the Autumn, we really should be looking to reduce the number of games - not add to it with convoluted ways of bulking up what is essentially a knockout competition.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It'll be 2 groups of 6 

This would make more sense, but and here is the BUT, it means having effectively having more LOOP fixtures.

If threre are no Championship clubs playing then the Cup is effectively defunct.  Its on its way there already with the widening gap between full and part time.

There was money put up to run a lower tier season, but the clubs backed away.  Can it be they just want to be spoon fed?  Surely the Championship teams want to play... or do they want to pull up the drawbridge?

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

This would make more sense, but and here is the BUT, it means having effectively having more LOOP fixtures.

If threre are no Championship clubs playing then the Cup is effectively defunct.  Its on its way there already with the widening gap between full and part time.

There was money put up to run a lower tier season, but the clubs backed away.  Can it be they just want to be spoon fed?  Surely the Championship teams want to play... or do they want to pull up the drawbridge?

if the championship teams are losing money every time they play a game, then from a rational point of view it makes sense to play fewer games, that way they lose less money.

Seems like a structural problem to me but it does raise questions about the future of the game at the semi-pro level

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It won’t. Not with a 27 game season already planned. 

Is a 27 game season planned? I'd have thought with a much later start and World Cup at the end of the season that would be impossible. Unless we want to severely hamper our chances of winning it.

30 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

They obviously want to play but don’t forget the players also have other jobs. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If we don’t play a 27 game season surely we won’t be entitled to a full allocation of the sky money 

Why? I've only ever seen it said in the deal that Sky will broadcast 71 games a season. I've never seen a stipulation that it has to be in the form of each club playing 27 games.

Archived