SL will it be worth it next season

plug

I like many fev fans would love us to be in SL playing the likes of wigan leeds saints and  warrington but given the time scale and our currant team how many would be willing to pack there full time jobs in to go full time playing rugby ??some may have good paying jobs outside rugby and given the time scale we'd have to put a full time team together i think we'd be the whipping boys in the first season in SL if they let us in i think we'd need to have a couple of seasons being full time first in the championship they give it a good push for SL just not right now in my opinion

It could be absolutely ruinous. Short turn around to get players signed. Players may leave due to wanting to stay part time. Less money from Sky because the 11 other clubs say so. Odds on to finish bottom and be relegated back to the championship. I'm sure we'd all love a crack at Super League but is it worth it?

It has been suggested that the promoted team could not get relegated for three seasons. Let's get in first. We have been trying for quite a while. Our situation would have been just as bad if we had won the final. Let's jump each hurdle one at a time.  There are quite a few questions that have not yet been answered.

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

It has been suggested that the promoted team could not get relegated for three seasons. Let's get in first. We have been trying for quite a while. Our situation would have been just as bad if we had won the final. Let's jump each hurdle one at a time.  There are quite a few questions that have not yet been answered.

that's just toulouse colin ala catalans 

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 14:48, plug said:

I like many fev fans would love us to be in SL playing the likes of wigan leeds saints and  warrington but given the time scale and our currant team how many would be willing to pack there full time jobs in to go full time playing rugby ??some may have good paying jobs outside rugby and given the time scale we'd have to put a full time team together i think we'd be the whipping boys in the first season in SL if they let us in i think we'd need to have a couple of seasons being full time first in the championship they give it a good push for SL just not right now in my opinion

I honestly believe that to gain entry to the SL in the present conditions would be treading a fine line JC. I think that our nation will be affected for many years to come, financial and employment wise and there will be a lot of "cloth cutting" in the future. Even the soccer world with all their finances are now looking over their shoulders considering the obscene wages being paid out to the "elite" players.

NO NO NO the 12th team  is being set up to fail  remember the'are only doing it to safeguard their sky money sky want twelve if they didn't supergreed would stay eleven

so as a club we should be aiming to get promotion for the 2022 season when new TV deal comes in because by all accounts Supergreed will be getting over 80% of it 

to enter now with the real possibility of  cpming   straight back down makes no sense at all especially with the 2021 squad we'ave assembled which must be one of the  favourite to gain promotion

But if as suggested the team that gets the place are safeguarded for three years against demotion then it would be worthwhile, especially with the extra funding. I still fell that now we have eight teams as possible winners that a play off could be the best way of selection. To make it fair then the ties are drawn from a bag.  Played on a neutral ground then three ties would decide the winner,  8, 4, 2 1.  Four games, two games, one game. It could be over in 3 weeks. Far better than some one in control of proceedings selecting  their favourite contender.

But if as suggested the team that gets the place are safeguarded for three years against demotion then it would be worthwhile, especially with the extra funding. I still fell that now we have eight teams as possible winners that a play off could be the best way of selection. To make it fair then the ties are drawn from a bag.  Played on a neutral ground then three ties would decide the winner,  8, 4, 2 1.  Four games, two games, one game. It could be over in 3 weeks. Far better than some one in control of proceedings selecting  their favourite contender.

2 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

colin that suggestion ids only for toulouse not FEV

Got mixed feelings about the situation. On the one hand, as has been stated, the 12th position is very much a poisoned chalice, whichever team is chosen will be a very short price to finish bottom of SL. On the other hand, we've been trying to get into SL for 10+ years (and it's now 25 years since we were unjustly booted out of it) and it's unclear whether promotion will even exist any more after this year, so it's not hard to see why we have thrown our hat into the ring.

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

If we get promoted in the future, and there's always the chance the opportunity won't be there, we would still be favourites to be relegated. Therefore we should go for it, but not overspend if we get there.

One other biggy is whether there would be a parachute payment, which in previous years has given the relegated side a financial advantage? Not that it's helped them much though, although I think the reason for that has been the massive debt accrued while they were in SL? 

If it's not going to be Fev, which other club would our fans prefer to get the nod?

Personally I think London are the only side with a valid claim similar to Fev, but if they are choosing on grounds of expansion it has to be Toulouse, covid permitting. I think Toulouse would be good for the game.

I think from a Fev point of view however, that I wouldn't mind Leigh being the choice, because Degsy's cheque book would be the main barrier to Fev winning legitimate promotion next year.

8 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

If it's not going to be Fev, which other club would our fans prefer to get the nod?

Personally I think London are the only side with a valid claim similar to Fev, but if they are choosing on grounds of expansion it has to be Toulouse, covid permitting. I think Toulouse would be good for the game.

I think from a Fev point of view however, that I wouldn't mind Leigh being the choice, because Degsy's cheque book would be the main barrier to Fev winning legitimate promotion next year.

Good point about Leigh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:42, Steve Slater said:

Leigh

With the amount of recruitment done for next season... 

They'll have a team in super league

Championship 

And championship 1

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Archived