Promotion Criteria Publicised

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Oxford said:

We really need to put the idea to bed now that London is still expansion, they've been round long enough now. And the only reason they could be characterised in that way is the Us & Them rubbish. They should be them by being Southern but since Leigh went blue maybe that's not so much the case. Although Toulouse is no more expansion than London they are french so can be labelled "Leave!"

This would be a paramount consideration for consolidation. But as they're very likely to be decreasing the number in SL so the money's easier to divide by ten, especially if there's less of it, he's already said P&R. This will  give the game away about how they're approaching the Sky/TV contracts if nothing else.

This has got nothing to do with Brexit or who each town’s MP is, or Donald Trump either before you try to link it to him. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think Bradford aligns with Elstone's vision for Super League to be strong across the North of England, particularly being a city with no large scale football competition and a bit of a throwback to his earlier RFL days with their success. York too to a lesser extent.

I'm not really sure what he thinks of London to be honest. 

How on Earth could anyone consider putting Bradford in Super League at the moment with their recent history of debt and TV money paid in advance just to keep them ticking over and the RFL having to take on their lease because they didn't have the money to keep paying it, and now they don't even play in Bradford

13 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

How on Earth could anyone consider putting Bradford in Super League at the moment with their recent history of debt and TV money paid in advance just to keep them ticking over and the RFL having to take on their lease because they didn't have the money to keep paying it, and now they don't even play in Bradford

For the RFL - self interest.

For Super League - Bradford are part of their vision for the game.

The other stuff is inconsequential I suppose.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

London is certainly where the money is.  Hughes has stuck by the club and imo they really should be doing better than they have.  

Hughes may have stuck by the club but the players haven't. There was a mass exodus after last year and six or seven of the better players from this year's squad (which looked mid-table fodder really) have already signed elsewhere for 2021.

Kieran Dixon the latest to be announced, leaving for York. Personally I think York are at least a year away and need to prove themselves as genuine Championship frontrunners before they could be considered above the likes of Fev, Leigh and Toulouse, but this signing is a clear indication of the different trajectories of London and York. Let's hope London have a lot of surprises up their sleeve, because as it stands right now their squad looks more likely to be in a relegation battle than a promotion battle in the Championship next season.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

This has got nothing to do with Brexit or who each town’s MP is, or Donald Trump either before you try to link it to him. 

Eddie if you don't like what I say be my guest to disagree but this stuff is silly.

It is all about our bias, prejudice and preferences because that's how we come to decisions.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

54 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Eddie if you don't like what I say be my guest to disagree but this stuff is silly.

It is all about our bias, prejudice and preferences because that's how we come to decisions.

I don’t agree or disagree with your politics, I just don’t know why you insist on trying to bring into the context of RL, which to me is just a great game not a political matter. I couldn’t care less who anyone votes for and think sports and politics should be kept well apart. I won’t raise the issue again though. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

You honestly think they have a vision for the game? If they did it would probably amount to getting as many West Yorkshire clubs in as possible to save on travel costs - so actually yeah you may be right about Bradford.  

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hughes may have stuck by the club but the players haven't. There was a mass exodus after last year and six or seven of the better players from this year's squad (which looked mid-table fodder really) have already signed elsewhere for 2021.

Kieran Dixon the latest to be announced, leaving for York. Personally I think York are at least a year away and need to prove themselves as genuine Championship frontrunners before they could be considered above the likes of Fev, Leigh and Toulouse, but this signing is a clear indication of the different trajectories of London and York. Let's hope London have a lot of surprises up their sleeve, because as it stands right now their squad looks more likely to be in a relegation battle than a promotion battle in the Championship next season.

Tbh mate I haven’t kept track of London so much.  On this judgement though, depending what they submit, they could be approved.

York is a special place for me and the Knights are building the club in all areas but I agree.  

Leigh are buying, TO have just signed Peyroux from Saints.....the rest, I don’t know.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You honestly think they have a vision for the game? If they did it would probably amount to getting as many West Yorkshire clubs in as possible to save on travel costs - so actually yeah you may be right about Bradford.  

I think Elstone has a vision for the game that is a bit hipster or counter culture and northern yes. That it is a bit limited I agree.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think London are the reason they put the average gate requirement at a pathetically low 2k, plus they can point to expansion if they go with them. 
I’d absolutely love to see a thriving Bradford back in SL but given that they have nowhere to play and haven’t challenged for promotion on the pitch for some time I can’t see it happening, the likes of Leigh and Fev could quite rightly kick off if it did. 

If they raised the attendance to 3K only Leigh and Bradford would qualify. What I don't agree with is that the applicants can profile their previous exploits in SL since it began but only go back 2 years on mismanagement. Why put that in the criteria if it only applies to certain clubs. 

1 minute ago, Mike M said:

If they raised the attendance to 3K only Leigh and Bradford would qualify. What I don't agree with is that the applicants can profile their previous exploits in SL since it began but only go back 2 years on mismanagement. Why put that in the criteria if it only applies to certain clubs. 

Because they know who they want

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, Mike M said:

The previous Super League experience relates to the past 2 years too in terms of base criteria, equal to finishing in the top 6 in either of those seasons.

Historic Super League action is relevant as they want to make it, but it isn't criteria as such. 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The previous Super League experience relates to the past 2 years too in terms of base criteria, equal to finishing in the top 6 in either of those seasons.

Historic Super League action is relevant as they want to make it, but it isn't criteria as such. 

It probably doesn't have a high weighting count as not applicable to all applicants. 

Just now, Mike M said:

It probably doesn't have a high weighting count as not applicable to all applicants. 

Its not criteria like the other factors you mentioned though so it is entirely subjective. Leigh and Bradford's Super League experience will include the good and bad, counting towards them as much as their applications put towards it.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not criteria like the other factors you mentioned though so it is entirely subjective. Leigh and Bradford's Super League experience will include the good and bad, counting towards them as much as their applications put towards it.

They may well only come up with the positives which won't do them any favours. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

How much money were the RFL given to spend on World Cup infrastructure by Sport England? I wonder if it could just go on infrastructure....

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Tbh mate I haven’t kept track of London so much.  On this judgement though, depending what they submit, they could be approved.

York is a special place for me and the Knights are building the club in all areas but I agree.  

Leigh are buying, TO have just signed Peyroux from Saints.....the rest, I don’t know.

This is part of the problem, and I really don't mean any offense when I say this, but when your team has been jumping through hoops for ten years to get into SL, battling to get through whatever the latest promotion avenue is, and then you go on forums and people are saying things like, well it would be nice to have a SL team in the capital, or ooh I do fancy a nice weekend in York...it's as if the game outside SL hasn't existed.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is part of the problem, and I really don't mean any offense when I say this, but when your team has been jumping through hoops for ten years to get into SL, battling to get through whatever the latest promotion avenue is, and then you go on forums and people are saying things like, well it would be nice to have a SL team in the capital, or ooh I do fancy a nice weekend in York...it's as if the game outside SL hasn't existed.

I'm pretty sure London also battled to gain promotion,,the difference being they actually succeeded,you seem to have a real problem with London.

Archived