Marketing

8 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

An incredible reach on today’s social media post,  unbelievably this tweet has now been viewed by over 700,000 people! 

In the nicest way possible, how does Triple H even know about the Thunder? 

2 hours ago, Omott91 said:

In the nicest way possible, how does Triple H even know about the Thunder? 

They tagged him in the post.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The point is that it’s got 700k views around the world, and it’s not people like us that it’s aimed at. 

this... a million times this.. 

how many of those click through to find out about who thunder are.. its publicity and its free.. good work.. 

if every club was doing this, or the like, our profile would automatically rise... if you get the chance to be a bit of a media whore then be one.. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

if every club was doing this, or the like, our profile would automatically rise... if you get the chance to be a bit of a media whore then be one.. 

In the same way if everyone on here clicked on as many Facebook, Youtube etc  RL things as they could our footprint would change dramatically. Subscribe a lot?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 minutes ago, Oxford said:

In the same way if everyone on here clicked on as many Facebook, Youtube etc  RL things as they could o0ur footprint would change dramatically. Subscribe a lot?

Not necessarily  becuase that doesnt extend the knowledge its just the same people clicking through.. yes it would help in terms of more clicks mean that people may post more content but its more about extending the audience.. so being able to tag these types of people into posts so that a new audience may view the original post and look at the original team that posted etc. 

I think “social reach” is a somewhat lazy and gimmicky metric.

so 700k around the world flicked straight past... ahem... saw this post. It’s a lame ass story with no call to action. The 99.9% of those 700k+ went to bed forgetting the story, let alone which club it was, let alone bothered to tune in to see which sport the club plays and realise they haven’t played a competitive match in over a year.

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

so 700k around the world flicked straight past... ahem... saw this post. It’s a lame ass story with no call to action. The 99.9% of those 700k+ went to bed forgetting the story, let alone which club it was, let alone bothered to tune in to see which sport the club plays and realise they haven’t played a competitive match in over a year.

You’re right, they shouldn’t have bothered. I’m fact I don’t know why they bother at all, they might as well close the club down, close all rugby league down the game is dying. 

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

Not necessarily  becuase that doesnt extend the knowledge its just the same people clicking through.. yes it would help in terms of more clicks mean that people may post more content but its more about extending the audience.. so being able to tag these types of people into posts so that a new audience may view the original post and look at the original team that posted etc. 

Agreed but the more "hits" & "likes" the more likely it is to be noticed. Awarenes is first knowledge comes later.

Given our man-made predicament, one not fabricated by us, the other point I made about a marketing team the size of a small factory is a necessity because we are a sport that has a huge hill to climb. The tragedy is those among us who imagine it is our sport's fault entirely.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It's a nice little moment.

Like when, as I'm sure you're all aware (and this is the point), Aberystwyth Town did a cheeky tag of Manchester United when they (Aber) were setting off to play European football and they (United) weren't. Several million people "engaged" with that.

A nice moment for fans and a few wry smiles for some of the rest.

But, you're right, on its own, it's nothing more than that. That doesn't make it a bad thing, just not anything more than the above.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think that is a fair comment.  Novel story but Twitter is what it is.  A bit of an echo chamber.  It real local links and interest that matter.  Better targeted ones. 699,999 hits from Timbuktu to Alice Springs is no help to Thunder.   But good fun.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Like when, as I'm sure you're all aware (and this is the point), Aberystwyth Town did a cheeky tag of Manchester United when they (Aber) were setting off to play European football and they (United) weren't. Several million people "engaged" with that.

But, you're right, on its own, it's nothing more than that. That doesn't make it a bad thing, just not anything more than the above.

Spot on and that’s my point. Thinking this single post is a master stroke in marketing is highly optimistic.

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

or when a wrexham football fan made a funny comment/post to Ryan Reynolds and he took the joke too far and bought the football club?? 

I know this is a massive outlier but it takes not effort to post these things and it is rare that bad things come from a positive post. 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

or when a wrexham football fan made a funny comment/post to Ryan Reynolds and he took the joke too far and bought the football club?? 

I know this is a massive outlier but it takes not effort to post these things and it is rare that bad things come from a positive post. 

If you think that all it took for Ryan Reynolds to buy Wrexham was one tweet then I've a bridge to sell you.

And I do believe it's positive. In that it's a nice thing.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Spot on and that’s my point. Thinking this single post is a master stroke in marketing is highly optimistic.

of course it isnt a master stroke in marketing but its cost them nothing, except a moment of time... but it can gain you quite a lot.. it is almost the simplest, easiest piece of self publication that you can do.. the fact it is such a novelty in our sport is the concern. 

If you do this often people start to engage because they enjoy following you because they get interested in what you are posting.. then you start to post more specific things and they engage with that.. It doesn't need a call to action as its building awareness it is not needing to ask you to do something. If some people now follow Thunder because of the perceived link then those are more eyes for the future posts by Thunder. Its not massive its marginal but if all the clubs did all the marginal things that cost a little to nothing then the gain becomes more than marginal.. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you think that all it took for Ryan Reynolds to buy Wrexham was one tweet then I've a bridge to sell you.

And I do believe it's positive. In that it's a nice thing.

yes i know there was more behind this going from one tweet to buying the football club.. but that is the case with everything.. however, equally everything has to start somewhere.... 

why not here and why not for them... it costs £0 to do... and can only be good for you.. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

of course it isnt a master stroke in marketing but its cost them nothing, except a moment of time... but it can gain you quite a lot.. it is almost the simplest, easiest piece of self publication that you can do.. the fact it is such a novelty in our sport is the concern. 

If you do this often people start to engage because they enjoy following you because they get interested in what you are posting.. then you start to post more specific things and they engage with that.. It doesn't need a call to action as its building awareness it is not needing to ask you to do something. If some people now follow Thunder because of the perceived link then those are more eyes for the future posts by Thunder. Its not massive its marginal but if all the clubs did all the marginal things that cost a little to nothing then the gain becomes more than marginal.. 

Well said and I’m not intending to be over pessimistic here, I just think people get too excited when they see 700k views, without actually considering what true value this one tweet has had, which is 2/10 of SFA.

I’m not here to argue the validity of getting 700k+ views. I’m simply holding the metric to account. Fingers crossed we continue to see engaging posts from Newcastle Thunder. I look forward to hearing in 2 years time that when being promoted to SL, they had 1000 retweets and were trending as a result of their actions on the pitch. 

Until such time...

Archived