Tony Bellew

9 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I live in Wavertree actually Eddie and it may surprise you to know that everybody knows about rugby league.

Everybody in my house that is.

I’m from there so there are exceptions to the rule, but not many! 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart thing for Saints to do would be to invite Tony Bellew to the next Saints-Wigan game so he can continue tweeting about it to his followers.

It’d be a win-win.

Although Eddie has his view that nobody in Liverpool could care about the sport, I do think Saints could cross the divide between Blues and Reds as a second sport to follow even if it’s just on TV.  (Not having a pop at you Eddie).

50 minutes ago, POR said:

yes and no tony was born in toxteth and moved next door to wavertree living all his life in liverpool and we all know in liverpool football is king and tony loves his everton fc even more  than boxing so getting him into rugby league at a young age was always going to be a struggle no matter how much you advertise 

The fact that he is a boxer shows you that football isn't the be all and end all.

I wasn't expecting him to play the game. More to have some sort of following. You'd think Saints would be bigger than they are in Merseyside.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

50 minutes ago, POR said:

yes and no tony was born in toxteth and moved next door to wavertree living all his life in liverpool and we all know in liverpool football is king and tony loves his everton fc even more  than boxing so getting him into rugby league at a young age was always going to be a struggle no matter how much you advertise 

The fact that he is a boxer shows you that football isn't the be all and end all.

I wasn't expecting him to play the game. More to have some sort of following. You'd think Saints would be bigger than they are in Merseyside.

I think historically St Helens has considered itself quite independent from Liverpool to the point that many of their older fans would align part time with Manchester United!  This is similar to how many Bolton people feel about Manchester to be honest so I get it.  I’m sure there’s other examples across the country of cities and nearby towns not seeing eye to eye.

I remember following Saints home and away for a few seasons about ten years ago and noticing that St Helens people would support Man Utd, Everton and Liverpool part time as well as a few other clubs.  An eclectic mix for sure!

Maybe shifting demographics of people moving between Liverpool and St Helens might have cooled former hostilities, but there’s certainly always been an interesting relationship between the two places.  I think though Saints could view themselves as competing with cricket in Liverpool for attention rather than going head to head with the football clubs.

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I haven't heard of him, I don't follow boxing AT ALL, it really isn't my kind of thing. 

He’s a charismatic boxer who won a lot of respect from coming back from early defeats in his career and being emotionally honest.

He is a big part of Sky’s boxing coverage now as a pundit and commentator.

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

The truth is that Bellew had a pretty high profile when he was active, and was involved in some huge fights with the likes of David Haye and Usyk. He is still pretty vocal about stuff, and regularly appears as a fight summariser on various channels.

If you don't know who Tony Bellew is, then you probably don't follow boxing.

I was helping the original poster.  I certainly know of Bellew from after his Creed and "Not bad for a fat scouser" quote days.  Celebrity fan of Everton too regularly on TV.  He is quite a likeable fellow IMHO.

Who's this Joshua Antony guy though?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’m from there so there are exceptions to the rule, but not many! 

well two more exceptions here...  plus all the kids born in Oxford Street Maternity and they all follow RL too... theirs more of us than yer think it seems

in fact the missus is from Liverpool 8 and as you know is what we always knew Toxteth before it commonly became known as Toxteth.

My missus always says she's from Liverpool 8 not Toxteth as she thinks those that say Toxteth just want to make themselves sound tough... even though its the same place.

42 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

but it was growing up he always wanted to be a footballer and play for everton tuning to boxing in his teens

saints james graham from merseyside 🤣

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

Never heard of the bloke but... living as we do in an age of social media influencers who are paid to promote brands is there any chance he's been paid to make these comments?

You think someone in RL has the brains to try and utilise social media and celebrities?

I think you give a lot more credit to anyone in the sport then anyone else does with that assumption.

11 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

The Salisbury? You must be hard as nails John!!!

we went in the snug.... a better type of client...

whilst the missus is from Liverpool 8 and then moved to Avondale off Smithdown... I was living in Huyton then and too be honest the Salisbury was "posher" then many from where I lived.

54 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I was helping the original poster.  I certainly know of Bellew from after his Creed and "Not bad for a fat scouser" quote days.  Celebrity fan of Everton too regularly on TV.  He is quite a likeable fellow IMHO.

Who's this Joshua Antony guy though?

He's the big guy from the Google Review adverts on YouTube, silly.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

Never heard of the bloke but... living as we do in an age of social media influencers who are paid to promote brands is there any chance he's been paid to make these comments?

Someone has watched one game of RL, enjoyed it and tweeted about it. It doesn’t mean he’ll get a season ticket, or even ever watch another game. 

1 hour ago, POR said:

but it was growing up he always wanted to be a footballer and play for everton tuning to boxing in his teens

saints james graham from merseyside 🤣

Every Saints homegrown product is from Merseyside. I don't get your point in referencing James Graham? One player from Liverpool is hardly proving me wrong here!

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Someone has watched one game of RL, enjoyed it and tweeted about it. It doesn’t mean he’ll get a season ticket, or even ever watch another game. 

It was the way he came back to reinforce the message the following day which piqued my interest.

Both my previous and current employers have spent a little on that sort of marketing and that's exactly what they would expect them to do.

13 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Every Saints homegrown product is from Merseyside. I don't get your point in referencing James Graham? One player from Liverpool is hardly proving me wrong here!

iy was a joke  welsy sorry 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Archived