Jump to content

London moving again?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yes, because Wimbledon’s were willing to sell/move to another city. Manchester United’s wouldn’t have been because they were a premier side in their home city. Had they have gone to a smaller club in Manchester and proposed they move, it may well have been a different story. Wimbledon were by no means a major club, they never had been and were in a city of many bigger clubs.

To blame Wimbledon for not having many fans for them being shafted by their owners and the FA on them moving is an utterly bizarre and unique take from the whole fiasco. 

In your first paragraph you justify what you’re arguing against. And I’m not blaming the fans, I’m saying that they weren’t sustainable (due to their lack of fans), they didn’t have their own home and weren’t likely to have one, their crowds were dwindling fast and they likely would have folded if the MK move hadn’t happened. Probably to be resurrected and end up exactly where they are now. MK were made out to be the villains, which they were in many ways, but as I said I don’t think that would have happened to a single other football league club, and it hasn’t happened before or since, there’s a reason for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In your first paragraph you justify what you’re arguing against. And I’m not blaming the fans, I’m saying that they weren’t sustainable (due to their lack of fans), they didn’t have their own home and weren’t likely to have one, their crowds were dwindling fast and they likely would have folded if the MK move hadn’t happened. Probably to be resurrected and end up exactly where they are now. MK were made out to be the villains, which they were in many ways, but as I said I don’t think that would have happened to a single other football league club, and it hasn’t happened before or since, there’s a reason for that. 

So, it was nothing to do with their fans needing to be “better”, which was your original, unique, bizarre post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I haven’t been to Ealing but Harlequins ground the stoop was brilliant. 

It was a good setup and the only time since I've been half watching London that they felt like a stable club.

But every time you went there you came away feeling like you needed a good, cleansing shower.

AFC Wimbledon are more aligned with Rugby League values IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I haven’t been to Ealing but Harlequins ground the stoop was brilliant. 

I did like The Stoop, but there was always the feeling of us never really being the 'home' team there. Everything about the ground screamed (as well it might) rugby union.

Asked a Dons mate what he knew about this potential move:

"One of my mates who’s a Dons Trust member got an email about it. 10 year deal apparently. Would snap that up and would even go to a couple of games if it happened."

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, it was nothing to do with their fans needing to be “better”, which was your original, unique, bizarre post. 

Better, ie more. I know you tediously like to argue with anyone you can about absolutely anything you can so it doesn’t surprise me that you’re deliberately misinterpreting what I’m saying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

It was a good setup and the only time since I've been half watching London that they felt like a stable club.

But every time you went there you came away feeling like you needed a good, cleansing shower.

And not just at the ground itself either - any pre-match pint in Twickenham would typically be in pubs full of pictures of Bill Beaumont and Will Carling.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Better, ie more. I know you tediously like to argue with anyone you can about absolutely anything you can so it doesn’t surprise me that you’re deliberately misinterpreting what I’m saying. 

I’ve genuinely never heard anyone accuse Wimbledon fans in their case against MK/Winkleman/The FA. I was genuinely interested in what you had to say. You seem to get very upset when people try and engage you in a discussion and accuse people of arguing when they disagree with you. 

Anyway, up, up London. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve genuinely never heard anyone accuse Wimbledon fans in their case against MK/Winkleman/The FA. I was genuinely interested in what you had to say. You seem to get very upset when people try and engage you in a discussion and accuse people of arguing when they disagree with you. 

Anyway, up, up London. 

I’ve heard plenty of people say it (by the way if you’re claiming to be genuinely interested in what someone has to say don’t say things like bizarre statement etc). And as I said I’m not accusing the (few) Wimbledon fans at the time, I’m saying there weren’t enough of them to make the club sustainable, they would have folded if MK hadn’t come in with the same result - ie no Wimbledon FC. I supported a club who went bust, I know what it’s like, it’s awful, but I know it happened because in the end there weren’t enough people who gave a ###### to stop it happening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to get back on topic, if it is at least 10 years then I can see someone or people still willing to stick money into Broncos and the future for the game starts to look a lot rosier. You have shiny new stadium for York, London have a long term home , Newcastle are on the up and Toulouse are ready... 14 team SL anyone? 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve heard plenty of people say it (by the way if you’re claiming to be genuinely interested in what someone has to say don’t say things like bizarre statement etc). And as I said I’m not accusing the (few) Wimbledon fans at the time, I’m saying there weren’t enough of them to make the club sustainable, they would have folded if MK hadn’t come in with the same result - ie no Wimbledon FC. I supported a club who went bust, I know what it’s like, it’s awful, but I know it happened because in the end there weren’t enough people who gave a ###### to stop it happening. 

There’s plenty of clubs now and then who are smaller than Wimbledon who continue to run in London and most not down to a rich fan, so the sustainability argument is an odd one, IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And I'm not convinced it would be a good one - and not just because I despise everything about AFC Wimbledon with every fibre of my being.

Can you explain this. Do you despise AFC Wimbledon because they regrouped as a fan owned club and worked their way up from the amateur leagues to building their own ground. Or do you despise the club that upsticks and moved to Milton Keynes as the MK Dons ? Maybe you have a reason to despise a club that refused to die......please explain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, burnleywelsh said:

Can you explain this. Do you despise AFC Wimbledon because they regrouped as a fan owned club and worked their way up from the amateur leagues to building their own ground. Or do you despise the club that upsticks and moved to Milton Keynes as the MK Dons ? Maybe you have a reason to despise a club that refused to die......please explain.

There may be more to it but from the outside I find their treatment of Kingstonian as hypocritical. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Can you explain this. Do you despise AFC Wimbledon because they regrouped as a fan owned club and worked their way up from the amateur leagues to building their own ground. Or do you despise the club that upsticks and moved to Milton Keynes as the MK Dons ? Maybe you have a reason to despise a club that refused to die......please explain.

I'm pretty sure Gingerjon doesn't fall into this category but what happened with Wimbledon/MK Dons is actually what some people on here genuinely think is a viable way forward for Rugby League in this country.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I know what you’re saying but many teams have had crowd boosts from moving grounds or doing theirs up, and the old grounds weren’t full. Even in Australia it’s happened with the Eels. 

I don’t disagree in theory, but your example is not a good one. Parramatta crowds dropped drastically this year.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t disagree in theory, but your example is not a good one. Parramatta crowds dropped drastically this year.

Are we counting 2020 as a normal year now? 

This new stadium looks like the perfect solution.  It is a shame they are moving again, but if they are talking about a 10-year deal then that will give them stability.  Being "too big" does not bother me at all.  I'd rather too big than too small.

Also, I get the feeling London are better run these days than they were 10 years ago, but could be wrong of course.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...