Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In our first team squad we have the following home grown players.

Jack Walker

Ash Handley

Luke Briscoe 

Harry Newman

Alex Sutcliffe

Mik Oledski 

Tom Holroyd

Cam Smith

Liam Sutcliffe

Sam Walters

Jarrad O’Connor 

Liam Tindall

Jack Broadbent

Corey Hall

You keep dreaming that they're top quality players !

Adios EU - Global Britain here we come !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't come on here to argue with you about the signing of Tetevano as I said at the beginning that he was a quality prop and a good signing for Leeds.  But seeing as though you have argued that he

The only thing that comes to mind when I see his name is the domestic violence.

Yeah I think what I wrote speaks for itself - teams like Wigan made a bit of a fool of themselves over the whole Folau saga. And not because they shouldn't support Gay pride (they absolutely should),

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In our first team squad we have the following home grown players.

Jack Walker

Ash Handley

Luke Briscoe 

Harry Newman

Alex Sutcliffe

Mik Oledski 

Tom Holroyd

Cam Smith

Liam Sutcliffe

Sam Walters

Jarrad O’Connor 

Liam Tindall

Jack Broadbent

Corey Hall

Luke Briscoe, Sam Walters, Jarrad O'Connor and Corey Hall aren't home grown. 

Briscoe came through Hull FC's academy

Sam Walters and Jarrad O'Connor from Widnes Academy

Corey Hall is from Sheffield and Leeds picked him up from Wigan's Academy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Leeds recognised their youth setup wasn't good enough about 4-5 years ago. Who's to blame for that, I'm not sure but it was under Hetherington's stewardship. Since then, they have done a lot of work to improve the pathways and talent identification. Burrow was doing a great job coaching the 16's and laterally the Academy, whilst JJB was working on talent identification with the Foundation who have been doing sterling work in the surrounding area and have helped numerous new clubs setup to create a stronger conveyor belt of talent. These things don't improve overnight but we're now starting to see the fruits of the labour come through

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

You keep dreaming that they're top quality players !

2020 top try scorer, multiple grand final and cup winners, 2020 young player of the year too. I mean what more do you want?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Leeds recognised their youth setup wasn't good enough about 4-5 years ago. Who's to blame for that, I'm not sure but it was under Hetherington's stewardship. Since then, they have done a lot of work to improve the pathways and talent identification. Burrow was doing a great job coaching the 16's and laterally the Academy, whilst JJB was working on talent identification with the Foundation who have been doing sterling work in the surrounding area and have helped numerous new clubs setup to create a stronger conveyor belt of talent. These things don't improve overnight but we're now starting to see the fruits of the labour come through

I'll agree there was a problem with converting junior talent into truly elite level players, but plenty of solid super league professionals have come through Leeds over the past 10/15 years. Which arguably isn't a bad thing for a club like Leeds with the financial resources available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'll agree there was a problem with converting junior talent into truly elite level players, but plenty of solid super league professionals have come through Leeds over the past 10/15 years. Which arguably isn't a bad thing for a club like Leeds with the financial resources available. 

Leeds don't want just solid SL professionals, they want top quality, otherwise what is the point of having an academy for a trophy chasing club like the Rhinos

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Luke Briscoe, Sam Walters, Jarrad O'Connor and Corey Hall aren't home grown. 

Briscoe came through Hull FC's academy

Sam Walters and Jarrad O'Connor from Widnes Academy

Corey Hall is from Sheffield and Leeds picked him up from Wigan's Academy

They all played for Leeds Academy and are therefore home grown 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

They all played for Leeds Academy and are therefore home grown 

That's a stretch - they're really not. Leeds don't need to be claiming players that they plucked out of others academies at 18 and claiming them as their own. Luke Gale on the other hand, despite him moving away from the Rhinos early in his career, should absolutely be on the list because he played all his Academy rugby at Leeds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Leeds don't want just solid SL professionals, they want top quality, otherwise what is the point of having an academy for a trophy chasing club like the Rhinos

Its a blatant fact of all team sports (especially ones with Salary caps) that you can't have teams full of super stars. Leeds have been expert at bucking that trend by keeping players at the club from a young age on relatively low wages that have allowed more money to be spent in other areas and latterly on other players. They are the backbone of any club and are what has kept Leeds challenging at the top for over 15 years. 

Yes having a full set of home grown super stars would be nice and there is always room for improvement (something Leeds have needed to do), but I think it needs to be put in perspective. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a blatant fact of all team sports (especially ones with Salary caps) that you can't have teams full of super stars. Leeds have been expert at bucking that trend by keeping players at the club from a young age on relatively low wages that have allowed more money to be spent in other areas and latterly on other players. They are the backbone of any club and are what has kept Leeds challenging at the top for over 15 years. 

Yes having a full set of home grown super stars would be nice and there is always room for improvement (something Leeds have needed to do), but I think it needs to be put in perspective. 

You mean aside for the years they were fighting for their very SL survival in the Middle 8's 😉

Adios EU - Global Britain here we come !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saint Toppy said:

You mean aside for the years they were fighting for their very SL survival in the Middle 8's 😉

I know, imagine having a bad few years involve winning the Super League and the Challenge Cup!

Setting those standards higher than everyone else does have its negatives!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I know, imagine having a bad few years involve winning the Super League and the Challenge Cup!

Setting those standards higher than everyone else does have its negatives!

So not challenging at the top for 15 years then as claimed

  • Confused 1

Adios EU - Global Britain here we come !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You're right I was wrong its actually at least 16

So still a decade shy of Saints then who have contested the play-off's and challenged at the top EVERY year of SL 😉

  • Haha 1

Adios EU - Global Britain here we come !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

So still a decade shy of Saints then who have contested the play-off's and challenged at the top EVERY year of SL 😉

Leeds have won the Super League Grand Final more times that any other club with their 8 SL trophies, Saints have won it 7 times, Wigan have won it 5 times. No other Super League club has won it. Enough said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

So still a decade shy of Saints then who have contested the play-off's and challenged at the top EVERY year of SL 😉

I know but you've also spent the vast majority of those years "challenging" sad, upset and ultimately disappointed with the "at least we challenged" award. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds have won the Super League Grand Final more times that any other club with their 8 SL trophies, Saints have won it 7 times, Wigan have won it 5 times. No other Super League club has won it. Enough said. 

I think you'll find Saints have 8 SL trophies in their cabinet just like Leeds !

Just because their first title in 1996 used the FPTP system and not the GF system, they were still the SL champions of that year and so have 8 SL titles. They've finished top of the league more than any other team, accumulated more league point than any other team, they're the only team to have contested every SL play-off series, and they've also scored more points and conceded fewer points than any other team in the SL era (averaged across the years of SL).

You keep dreaming that Leeds are the greatest team of the SL era - but they clearly aren't !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adios EU - Global Britain here we come !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2021 at 13:46, DoubleD said:

Luke Briscoe, Sam Walters, Jarrad O'Connor and Corey Hall aren't home grown. 

Briscoe came through Hull FC's academy

Sam Walters and Jarrad O'Connor from Widnes Academy

Corey Hall is from Sheffield and Leeds picked him up from Wigan's Academy

Corey Hall was a Wakefield Scholarship player who Wigan paid a fee for and took him to their Academy, Leeds then paid Wigan a fee after Corey asked for a release because of the travelling pressures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I think you'll find Saints have 8 SL trophies in their cabinet just like Leeds !

Just because their first title in 1996 used the FPTP system and not the GF system, they were still the SL champions of that year and so have 8 SL titles. They've finished top of the league more than any other team, accumulated more league point than any other team, they're the only team to have contested every SL play-off series, and they've also scored more points and conceded fewer points than any other team in the SL era (averaged across the years of SL).

You keep dreaming that Leeds are the greatest team of the SL era - but they clearly aren't !

Yeah the problem here is everyone knows the first couple of years were experimental with wacky stuff like Paris and Cumbrian and Oldham teams being included. The league didn't get serious until 1998. 

Anyway good to see you still valuing those five years of running up with your mysteriously broad definition of what counts as success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I think you'll find Saints have 8 SL trophies in their cabinet just like Leeds !

Just because their first title in 1996 used the FPTP system and not the GF system, they were still the SL champions of that year and so have 8 SL titles. They've finished top of the league more than any other team, accumulated more league point than any other team, they're the only team to have contested every SL play-off series, and they've also scored more points and conceded fewer points than any other team in the SL era (averaged across the years of SL).

You keep dreaming that Leeds are the greatest team of the SL era - but they clearly aren't !

So Saints have won 7 Grand Finals whereas Leeds have won 8 Grand Finals. Leeds’ victories were also with more home grown players than Saints were. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yeah the problem here is everyone knows the first couple of years were experimental with wacky stuff like Paris and Cumbrian and Oldham teams being included. The league didn't get serious until 1998. 

Anyway good to see you still valuing those five years of running up with your mysteriously broad definition of what counts as success.

What exactly was wacky about Oldham & Workington being inSuperleague ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...