Matt Shaw joins Reach plc

They own the Mirror, the Express, Star and hundreds of local titles. I imagine it means Matt Shaw stories will appear  on many local newspaper websites across the North. 

If he’s around I’d like to know more, and whether it’ll mean more coverage in their nationals.

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They own the Mirror, the Express, Star and hundreds of local titles. I imagine it means Matt Shaw stories will appear  on many local newspaper websites across the North. 

If he’s around I’d like to know more, and whether it’ll mean more coverage in their nationals.

I know this is painful M.O.K. but I have experience in these things, it is essential now that anyone in the media departments in the larger clubs or the person who fulfils that role in smaller clubs have Matt`s number in their speed dial and vice-versa, find out what type of stories he wants and write them for him, different publications will require different stories and sometimes the stories that you give him may look a little different when they appear in the paper or on-line, but that`s how it works and it keeps you in the public eye. Differences can be sorted out later on but it is the relationship that is important.

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I know this is painful M.O.K. but I have experience in these things, it is essential now that anyone in the media departments in the larger clubs or the person who fulfils that role in smaller clubs have Matt`s number in their speed dial and vice-versa, find out what type of stories he wants and write them for him, different publications will require different stories and sometimes the stories that you give him may look a little different when they appear in the paper or on-line, but that`s how it works and it keeps you in the public eye. Differences can be sorted out later on but it is the relationship that is important.

Agree. I wasn’t being in any way critical, Rocket 😃

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Agree. I wasn’t being in any way critical, Rocket 😃

No mate I wasn`t accusing you of being critical, I was just apologising because I was about to be `painful` belabouring you with my personal experience on this topic. Enjoy the rest of your day mate.👍

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Never heard of Reach PLC. Shouldnt this be on cross code or something now? 

Really ?

They keep popping up on the internet asking you to agree to their cookie settings.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Really.

No they don't and obviously that would depend on what sites you visit.

Newspaper sites.

They run newspapers.

As mentioned earlier.

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Newspaper sites.

They run newspapers.

As mentioned earlier.

I know that has already been mentioned by posters after I replied.

And obviously you would need to visit the sites they own, which I obviously don't and a quick look shows they own no national or newspapers that I read.

The good news is that I have now heard of them, obviously, and I hope this allows you to sleep better at night.

On 02/02/2021 at 21:46, The Rocket said:

find out what type of stories he wants and write them for him, different publications will require different stories 

"What type of stories" is the pertinent question.

I`m afraid most of our pro players are not exactly captivating, particularly when talking about the game. When BBC news used to do a feature during Challenge Cup week, they`d show the players training, then have one of them mutter some stunning banality like "hopefully, we`ll get the right result, and hopefully, we`ll come out on top", then that would be it for another year. Written stories about the same sort of characters will be no more stimulating.

In NSW you have a baseline of RL familiarity that provides context and relevance to any RL news. We don`t have that. The stories themselves will have to build it over time. Which goes back to the opening sentence. What type will pique and sustain wider public interest? I genuinely don`t know. Over to you.

Personally, I find quotidian pro-game fodder like transfer gossip sterile. What I like to see are stories of growth. New areas, new demographics, in all forms of the game. Both the account of the development, and the people involved, are generally more engaging than what we`re accustomed to. 

For example, on the Ormeau Shearers` Facebook page yesterday was a vignette about Jodeci Nicholson, who a few years ago approached the club as a 16-year-old to set up a women`s team. That team are still going, she`s since moved to the Burleigh Bears, and has this week been selected for the Maori All Stars. There are lots of similarly inspiring tales in UK RL. 

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know that has already been mentioned by posters after I replied.

And obviously you would need to visit the sites they own, which I obviously don't and a quick look shows they own no national or newspapers that I read.

The good news is that I have now heard of them, obviously, and I hope this allows you to sleep better at night.

There's more to the nationals than just the Daily Mail On Line.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

It definitely won't.

6 hours ago, dealwithit said:

SL needs a few Nick Kyrgios’s to tell reporters “why don’t you cover us more?! Johnny Lomax is a better player than Owen farrell. Where’s his story?!”

Just a stirrer who is happy to put themselves out on a limb for something they believe in. 

And someone to have a word with the conspiracy theorists and tell them to shut up!

19 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Personally, I find quotidian pro-game fodder like transfer gossip sterile. What I like to see are stories of growth. New areas, new demographics, in all forms of the game. Both the account of the development, and the people involved, are generally more engaging than what we`re accustomed to. 

For example, on the Ormeau Shearers` Facebook page yesterday was a vignette about Jodeci Nicholson, who a few years ago approached the club as a 16-year-old to set up a women`s team. That team are still going, she`s since moved south to play for North Sydney Bears, and has this week been selected for the Maori All Stars. There are lots of similarly inspiring tales in UK RL. 

Well said old chum. Although fools seldom differ, I take heart from the fact that many great minds think alike. 

On 04/02/2021 at 06:55, BrisbaneRhino said:

The game should be highlighting players like Tom Briscoe, who is studying for a PhD (albeit in some sport-related pseudo-academic subject). At least he doesn't fit the stereotypical thick as a brick mould most people associate with RL.

Patronising and dismissive much? How much, exactly, do you know about the sub-disciplines of sport science and heavily scientific their foundations are?

Archived