Uncertainty remains over the Red Devils stadium future

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Speaking of "living within your means" I find Koukash, and those who still hold him up as some kind of Messiah, chipping in on Salford's plight to be more that ironic with the mess he left.

Mess of 2 cup finals?

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are they folding then?

I think they're very close but I have no insider information on that just the dire straits and general feel. Needless to say when they go there'll be a lot less point to RL for mine.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

28 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think they're very close but I have no insider information on that just the dire straits and general feel. Needless to say when they go there'll be a lot less point to RL for mine.

That would be very sad, especially after the (relative) success of the last two seasons. 

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That would be very sad, especially after the (relative) success of the last two seasons. 

I think that looking at the playing side alone suggests something's wrong and once again players are leaving and that's never a good sign.

The club itself is very quiet on the whole though when you hear from them it's nearly always bad news.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I think that looking at the playing side alone suggests something's wrong and once again players are leaving and that's never a good sign.

The club itself is very quiet on the whole though when you hear from them it's nearly always bad news.

Or... the club are merely going through a bad path as many other teams do. as for players leaving im thinking you are alluding to Tui, the club opted against offering him a deal according the the press, meaning they likely have others in the pipeline

49 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Or... the club are merely going through a bad path as many other teams do. as for players leaving im thinking you are alluding to Tui, the club opted against offering him a deal according the the press, meaning they likely have others in the pipeline

As I said I hope I'm wrong and they may have others in the pipeline, if they're not relegated which is possible.

If I was a Salford fan,then quite frankly I would be very worried about their future.

I think the issue with the stadium is a big one as my feeling is that either Salford City FC or Sale Sharks will buy the AJ Bell.And if that happens I think the rent will be very prohibitive and there will be no help from Salford City Council either.

And Moor Lane is not a Super League ground to my knowledge,which is the only other place they could play. And I doubt that stadium can be made bigger as it was a battle to get things done this far.

And frankly there is nowhere else really within the boundaries of Salford City Council where a stadium could be built,besides who would fund one anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2021 at 13:45, RigbyLuger said:

Speaking of "living within your means" I find Koukash, and those who still hold him up as some kind of Messiah, chipping in on Salford's plight to be more that ironic with the mess he left.

Didn't he pay all their debts off?

On 14/06/2021 at 13:45, RigbyLuger said:

Mess he left ?

For all his faults (and he had plenty) the guy did actually put his money where his big mouth was and put millions into the club. When he sold up didn't he write off over £4M that the club owed him ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 15/06/2021 at 16:01, Robthegasman said:

If I was a Salford fan,then quite frankly I would be very worried about their future.

I think the issue with the stadium is a big one as my feeling is that either Salford City FC or Sale Sharks will buy the AJ Bell.And if that happens I think the rent will be very prohibitive and there will be no help from Salford City Council either.

And Moor Lane is not a Super League ground to my knowledge,which is the only other place they could play. And I doubt that stadium can be made bigger as it was a battle to get things done this far.

And frankly there is nowhere else really within the boundaries of Salford City Council where a stadium could be built,besides who would fund one anyway?

Salford is a fairly big area with plenty of un-developed land. Probably the best solution going forward is a shared stadium with Salford, Swinton & Salford football 

31 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Mess he left ?

For all his faults (and he had plenty) the guy did actually put his money where his big mouth was and put millions into the club. When he sold up didn't he write off over £4M that the club owed him ?

Scrapping the academy is a good starting point.

He's another RL messiah who has more supporters thanks to his words than his record backs up.

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Salford is a fairly big area with plenty of un-developed land. Probably the best solution going forward is a shared stadium with Salford, Swinton & Salford football 

In many ways I agree with you.It would be the best solution all round.

But the question is where would you put a stadium?

How would it be funded?

24 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

In many ways I agree with you.It would be the best solution all round.

But the question is where would you put a stadium?

How would it be funded?

I thought the debt to Salford Council for the AJ Bell was in the region of £25M (with the rest owed to Peel) so i'm sure if the stadium was sold the council could use some of that towards the cost any any new joint stadium for Salford, Swinton & Salford FC.

To put it into context, Saints new stadium cost in the region of £30M and that included the cost of also buying the land, and that was for a bespoke design. Salford could build one for half of that (al la Warrington with their Ikea flat pack 4 boxes design).

There are still plenty of parcels of undeveloped land across the city. The RHS managed to purchase 156 Acres for their new Bridgewater site and a new stadium probably only needs 5% of that amount.

EDIT - Actually thinking about it not far from Salford FC's stadium is the old Salford Sports Village with acres of derelict land next door - possibly an ideal location for a joint community stadium still within the city boundary ?

11 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The RHS wasn't a site that could be developed for housing or stadiums or race courses.

It could with proper ground remediation.

Saints stadium and all the surrounding retail parks were all built on some of the most heavily polluted land you'll find anywhere in the country. I worked for the contractor who built the link road back in the early 90's that opened up all these parcels of land, and they found just about every industrial poison you could think of in the ground including heavy concentrations of things like arsenic. In fact i'll never forget when they dug the trial pits to take the soil sampling it rained overnight and they filled up with water and when we came back the next day the water filled pits were bubbling from all the noxious gases leaking out of the ground.

By contrast the RHS site was nowhere near as heavily polluted (I know because I read  the local geotechnical study report for the area from a recent project I did for Salford City council when they upgraded M60 J13 in preparation for the opening of the RHS site)

21 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

It could with proper ground remediation.

Saints stadium and all the surrounding retail parks were all built on some of the most heavily polluted land you'll find anywhere in the country. I worked for the contractor who built the link road back in the early 90's that opened up all these parcels of land, and they found just about every industrial poison you could think of in the ground including heavy concentrations of things like arsenic. In fact i'll never forget when they dug the trial pits to take the soil sampling it rained overnight and they filled up with water and when we came back the next day the water filled pits were bubbling from all the noxious gases leaking out of the ground.

By contrast the RHS site was nowhere near as heavily polluted (I know because I read  the local geotechnical study report for the area from a recent project I did for Salford City council when they upgraded M60 J13 in preparation for the opening of the RHS site)

No it couldn't. it is green belt that the council protect avidly. Peel wanted to build a race course near there and the council turned it down it went to appeal. Peel also lost another fight for housing in the area.

The council won't fund another stadium they ahve had 222M cuts in recent years, have huge problems in other areas that take priority quite rightly.

Moor lane  is a nice little stadium but has massive issues around parking etc.

23 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I thought the debt to Salford Council for the AJ Bell was in the region of £25M (with the rest owed to Peel) so i'm sure if the stadium was sold the council could use some of that towards the cost any any new joint stadium for Salford, Swinton & Salford FC.

To put it into context, Saints new stadium cost in the region of £30M and that included the cost of also buying the land, and that was for a bespoke design. Salford could build one for half of that (al la Warrington with their Ikea flat pack 4 boxes design).

There are still plenty of parcels of undeveloped land across the city. The RHS managed to purchase 156 Acres for their new Bridgewater site and a new stadium probably only needs 5% of that amount.

EDIT - Actually thinking about it not far from Salford FC's stadium is the old Salford Sports Village with acres of derelict land next door - possibly an ideal location for a joint community stadium still within the city boundary ?

I suspect the derelict land you see there is actually part of the Irwell's flood basin - an area that is deliberately flooded in order to protect residential properties in the area when the river gets too high - so it wouldn't be possible to build there. You've seen the bizarre conspiracy theory responses of a few Wakefield fans on here to Salford postponing their next two matches because of Covid - it's a kind of WAnon thing - so imagine how they'd react if a match had to be postponed because the stadium had been deliberately flooded. It could send them over the edge, and they'd go storming RFL headquarters dressed as shamen or something.

Archived