World Cup in Doubt…Again

SMH states that NRL clubs want the World Cup moved to next year to counter the effects on players’ in pre-season after the amount of games they have played the past year or so. 

It seems that people in the know in the Southern Hemisphere seem to think the tournament is off but people up here seem to think it’s on. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

SMH states that NRL clubs want the World Cup moved to next year to counter the effects on players’ in pre-season after the amount of games they have played the past year or so. 

It seems that people in the know in the Southern Hemisphere seem to think the tournament is off but people up here seem to think it’s on. 

What extra games have NRL players played over the last year or so?

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is this the news that The Tulse (TM) was alluding to in a tweet a few minutes ago?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have checked the SMH website and twitter feeds and I can't see anything alluding to this.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

They’re due to play 5 games more than they did last year. That’s all I can think it will be. 

So a normal season seeing that last year’s season was shortened by a 4 rounds,seems a rather strange & somewhat pathetic excuse to cancel a World Cup given they’ve had the All Stars game and are having a 3 game Origin series.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have checked the SMH website and twitter feeds and I can't see anything alluding to this.

I can't play it at work but it looks like there's something on the Triple M website as well as the Daily Telegraph (Oz) link above.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Thanks.

I think this sentence from the article sums up the attitude perfectly... "Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements."

I have to say, I am not one for grand statements but if the World Cup is put in jeopardy after all the wonderful organization & efforts and the opportunity it presents to the game as a whole so that NRL teams can play their players in a trial then I may just go and find something else to enjoy.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So a normal season seeing that last year’s season was shortened by a 4 rounds,seems a rather strange & somewhat pathetic excuse to cancel a World Cup given they’ve had the All Stars game and are having a 3 game Origin series.

Exactly , total rubbish . Tell them where to go , and that we’ve put loads of effort into this and the WC is on . They can come or not come 

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.

I think this sentence from the article sums up the attitude perfectly... "Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements."

I have to say, I am not one for grand statements but if the World Cup is put in jeopardy after all the wonderful organization & efforts and the opportunity it presents to the game as a whole so that NRL teams can play their players in a trial then I may just go and find something else to enjoy.

It looks like they've worked out that if they can keep their players in Oz and replace the World Cup with some southern hemisphere Tests then they can line their pockets some more.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.

And some on here like to hold the NRL up as the bastion of international development.

The NRL clubs try to scupper the international game yet again. Every other sport with much bigger international calendars than ours seem to overcome many more obstacles than ours. We have 2 major leagues and still can barely organise international fixtures.

1)State of Origin 

2) State of Origin 

3) State of Origin 

4) NRL 

5) Trial games

6) World Cup / Australia games 

Very sad really . Other sports prioritise internationals , rightly so

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And some on here like to hold the NRL up as the bastion of international development.

I always said the NRL's involvement in things like the Pacific Tests and World 9s was to stem and control international development on their terms. Keep the genie in the bottle so to speak and stop it getting too popular. 

Before people jump in with both feet do remember Australia has stricter quarantine requirements than the UK

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19

Please also note there is a current dispute about the England Cricketers wives and families not being allowed into Australia over Christmas.

It's not insurmountable as a logistics exercise, but they are legitimate concerns from NRL players as much as their clubs.And remember tha majority of players will be coming from the NRL.

I would expect the WC to go ahead unless things here take a turn for the worse.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Appreciate that it’s not ideal that they will have to quarantine when travelling and that there’s going to be a lack of match practice heading into the NRL season but it’s an issue they need to iron out between the various governments, IRL and NRL. 

1 minute ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Before people jump in with both feet do remember Australia has stricter quarantine requirements than the UK

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19

Please also note there is a current dispute about the England Cricketers wives and families not being allowed into Australia over Christmas.

It's not insurmountable as a logistics exercise, but they are legitimate concerns from NRL players as much as their clubs.And remember tha majority of players will be coming from the NRL.

I would expect the WC to go ahead unless things here take a turn for the worse.

I'd be fairly certain that at least 25 players will be willing to put these concerns aside and travel for Australia. The same with other countries too. If players don't want to travel then don't pick them. I really don't think that is the problem here..

NRL clubs voice World Cup concerns
The World Cup is in danger of falling apart just one week after being given the green light to go ahead.

Clubs are leading the calls for the tournament to be postponed to next year after conjecture surrounding the late return of its star players to pre-season training in the new year. Club bosses voiced their concerns to the NRL during a phone hook-up this week, which resulted in discussions between the governing body and tournament organisers.

Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements.

That and the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Covid-19 is what is concerning clubs.

The issue could blow up in the next couple of weeks.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys confirmed club’s had reservations about having their best players travel overseas.

“We are dealing with the World Cup organisers and they are aware of the difficulty we have in relation to the clubs and players,” V’landys said.

“We are working through those at the moment. I totally respect the clubs and players’ feelings and we are expressing those to the organisers.

“Naturally we would like to support the international game, but we are making the organisers aware of the feelings of the clubs and players.

“There are three concerns – the players, the clubs and logistics around the quarantine requirements.

“They are some difficult obstacles to overcome but we certainly have made them aware of the clubs, players and our own views concerning quarantine.”

International Rugby League chairman Troy Grant is aware of the concerns and is optimistic they will be resolved.

The World Cup is pivotal in ensuring the financial stability of the struggling northern hemisphere nations.

If the World Cup does not go ahead, a number of Tests involving Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Lebanon and Fiji may take place.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd be fairly certain that at least 25 players will be willing to put these concerns aside and travel for Australia. The same with other countries too. If players don't want to travel then don't pick them. I really don't think that is the problem here..

Pretty sure New Zealand have the same quarantine measures and it didn’t stop their cricket team travelling to the UK.

Archived